Notices

Kentucky Lake Questions

Old 05-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Well everything looks set for Memorial Weekend at Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley with the boat.
Looks to be a long tow but should be well worth it as long as the tow gods are on my side. I will be keeping the boat there all summer at the dry storage facility when not in use.
Anybody have any recommendations as to a marina to get a dock for the memorial weekend.
Even better if anybody has a dock they will not be using that weekend and would be willing to share. I certainly appreciate all of the help and am looking forward to meeting some of the local OSO members on the lake.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep in mind, Memorial Day weekend is typically the first weekend that a lot of boaters in the area get their boat out. So, all marina's and ramps will be busy. With that said, most marinas (all that I've been to) have parking for transient boaters. ...if you're sly, you can probably park there at no charge. ;-)

Where are you staying? That would help to offer suggestions on a marina.

We're planning to arrive Wednesday night that week for a long weekend. We stay at Buzzard Rock on Lake Barkley.

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Anybody have any recommendations as to a marina to get a dock for the memorial weekend.
Even better if anybody has a dock they will not be using that weekend and would be willing to share. I certainly appreciate all of the help and am looking forward to meeting some of the local OSO members on the lake.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Registered

The only plan at this point is arrive late Tues/Wed. depart Mon. The storage is in Eddyville. Was thinking of staying on boat?
No other plans yet hence the reach out for info advice. I have no idea of the layout, call it an adventure. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Registered

If you're staying on the boat, I'd check with Hu-Bu's (Kuttawa, KY) about overnight/transient slip. Their food is good and they have a good nightlife. I'm not sure about showers, etc - but they do have fuel and pump out station.

2nd option is Buzzard Rock (Kuttawa, KY) where we stay - they rarely have an open slip - but decent food and nightlife.

I don't think Eddy Creek Marina (Eddyville, KY) has any nightlife (bar, bands) - but I could be wrong.

All 3 of these place are close to your storage.

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
The only plan at this point is arrive late Tues/Wed. depart Mon. The storage is in Eddyville. Was thinking of staying on boat?
No other plans yet hence the reach out for info advice. I have no idea of the layout, call it an adventure. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mineral Mounds boat ramp just outside of Eddyville is great place to launch as well. It is inside a golf course, has plenty of parking, great ramp, and will not cost anything. Hu-B's, Eddy Creek, Buzzard Rock, and the KY State Penitentiary are withing two miles of it by water. When entering the marinas, be sure to follow the markings. There is underwater bridges to get in and out of Hu-B's and Mineral Mounds from when the lake was flooded.

Davenport Bay on Barkley and the Rock Quarry on Kentucky will be rocking that weekend.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
If you're staying on the boat, I'd check with Hu-Bu's (Kuttawa, KY) about overnight/transient slip. Their food is good and they have a good nightlife. I'm not sure about showers, etc - but they do have fuel and pump out station.

2nd option is Buzzard Rock (Kuttawa, KY) where we stay - they rarely have an open slip - but decent food and nightlife.

I don't think Eddy Creek Marina (Eddyville, KY) has any nightlife (bar, bands) - but I could be wrong.

All 3 of these place are close to your storage.
Hu B's does have shower facilities I'm pretty sure they are off to the far left as you walk up from the gas docks, they also put in all new docks over the winter and now have more transient space available. Eddy Creek does have a small bar and bands on the weekends but its not on the scale of Hu B's plus Eddy Creek I very limited on dock space and no real overnight facilities.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Registered

Wow, great responses I am learning a lot about the area and almost feel like I have been there.
Thank everybody for the help and Joe I will be calling you tomorrow if that is OK.
Here is the current plan, always subject to change! Have a room booked for me and a buddy at Ken-Bar and told I have a slip at Kentucky Dam marina.
I did this over the weekend because I needed to have a starting plan, all is refundable at this time. The hotel is literally across the street from the marina, so I am told, which has it's attributes. Moon chart sez full moon weekend so night navigating between marinas should be fairly easy, please correct me if I am wrong.
Looks like a fish fry on Sat. and many intros through-out the weekend.
I am really looking forward to the weekend. It has been several years since I did boating vacations and can not wait. Tomorrow will be a test of my underpowered tow vehicle (Suburban just blew up) to the local lake and shakedown cruse for the boat.
Any / All info is great and thank you all, keep it coming.
Gary
Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Registered

Where is this located? I don't know about the underwater bridge at these locations.

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW
There is underwater bridges to get in and out of Hu-B's and Mineral Mounds from when the lake was flooded.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
Where is this located? I don't know about the underwater bridge at these locations.

Terry there are huge orange and white signs saying not to go through there and that is where the bridge is located underwater, I can't remember exactly where it is at though but I thought it was around Hu-B's. When the lake is low I have seen kids walk across the upper supports that are just underwater. There was a guy some years ago that tried to cut through there and got stuck between the supports of the bridge. Somehow they were able to get him out without much damage to his boat. If you look up on the old maps before the lake was flooded, you can see the roadway and bridge that is now under water. Just stay within the channel markers and you will be fine, the main lake is well marked and anywhere you need to go to get into a marina will be well marked. If you want to get into a cove, it is best to follow someone who knows how on the Barkley side.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

When your coming into Kuttawa Harbor, its to the left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.