Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

Notices

Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool

OK, I buy my fuel at a marina a mile from my house. They have new tanks and I'm 100% sure that it's good fuel. I've gone as far as checking the tank for water just after getting fuel. The water that gets in there is happening under my canopy and while it's on the lift. This has been 100% verified. I can check it, let it sit for a few days with perfect weather, not wash it and there is a pint of water in there. The only two possibilities are that it is sucking humid air through the vents or it's condensation from temperature change. Granted, a pint of water in a 240 gallon tank isn't that much, but it's in there!!

Photos of fuel fill and vent.......The vent hoses go up for about 6-7 inches before they go down.

Can you replace the vent hoses to put a loop in them so there is a fuel "trap"?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool

OK, I buy my fuel at a marina a mile from my house. They have new tanks and I'm 100% sure that it's good fuel. I've gone as far as checking the tank for water just after getting fuel. The water that gets in there is happening under my canopy and while it's on the lift. This has been 100% verified. I can check it, let it sit for a few days with perfect weather, not wash it and there is a pint of water in there. The only two possibilities are that it is sucking humid air through the vents or it's condensation from temperature change. Granted, a pint of water in a 240 gallon tank isn't that much, but it's in there!!

Photos of fuel fill and vent.......The vent hoses go up for about 6-7 inches before they go down.
those are standard cig vents used on pretty much every boat known to man. the vents are just mean to breathe right. No check valves, etc?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

those are standard cig vents used on pretty much every boat known to man. the vents are just mean to breathe right. No check valves, etc?
Correct. As I said in the above post. This water is getting in there while the boat is on the lift, under the canopy. It's not from washing the boat and it doesn't get in there when I wash the boat. Why is this one boat getting it and no one else's is? Like I said, weird!!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

have the water tested for chlorine
Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Can you replace the vent hoses to put a loop in them so there is a fuel "trap"?
AS I said in a previous post, the vent hoses run upwards for 6-7 inches before they go down towards the tank...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

wow! thats an unusual problem for sure!!! good luck finding it!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

process of elimination testing. you can test the fuel fill and its cap - unhook the fuel fill hose line at the gas tank, cap that gas tank portion off so nothing falls in. Next Stick the fuel fill hose -- still connected to the fuel fill - in a bucket or clear jar, then check the bucket or jar as many times needed daily to see if water and or condensation is coming in from there.

You can do the same for the fuel vent line - unhook it - fine mess screen off with a small cut rubber line at your fuel vent however at the gas tank side. Stick the rubber fuel vent line - still hooked at the fuel vent in a bucket or clear jar and watch daily to see if condensations forms in the bucket and or water in the bucket or bottle

possible might need a week of testing using these methods to see what happens and might need it to rain as well. You want to simulate the conditions per your exact routines and store the boat.

There is various ways to test the gas tank as well.

Last edited by BUP; 03-02-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope it isn't a pissed off neighbor that doesn't like your landscaping procedure as what occurred on national news.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Can you try capping or plugging the vents when the boat is on the lift and when you know there’s no water in it? Keeping it full all the time could help as well.

way up here in da nort woods some like to store da boats with a full tank of fuel so that there is very little head space for air and therefore moisture to build up during the freeze/thaw freeze/thaw of our winters and springs.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen every inch of vent line/ fuel fill line? i'm wondering if a previous owner y'd into one to drain something else.
a boroscope would be useful for this. I bought a cheap one that plugs into my phone on amazon, it works well for finding stuff in the bilge etc.

Amazon Amazon
they come in different diameters and capabilities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.