Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Water in fuel issue...Opinions? >

Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

Notices

Water in fuel issue...Opinions?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Seen a few refits that included screwing the bolster into the top of the fuel tanks.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
If the tank had a hole in it, wouldn't it leak fuel into the bilge? Never a drop in there...weird issue!!
Agree is weird, but appears to be the only other place where water could come from.

Not knowing the full layout of your Cig, most boats have a wall separating the tank from the bilge. My water tank had pin holes and replaced, then years later replaced the fuel tank when chasing another issue. Tank was in bad shape but not yet had any holes in it.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a long shot, but does the fuel tank share a common wall with the water tank?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the fresh water tank? A check would be drain the fresh water tank and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by Nice Pair; 03-03-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Registered

Has anyone ever purposely mixed salt water and gas and checked what happens? Is it possible the gas effects the salinity of the water? Do the engines use any type of fuel cooler on the return side? Maybe it’s leaking and the salt is separating or dissolving in the gasoline?
Old 03-03-2018, 11:49 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^^ pull boat out run engine with water hose hooked up and using fresh gas in your tank knowing there is no water in there to begin with. Like I said process of elimination. Rule out sides of the boat and and sides of the engine where water is not coming in 4 sure.

Prob a good idea to list what engines this app has and are they 100 percent stock or not ?

I would also take the boat out in the water using a remote fuel tank supply and see if that remote gas tank gets water in it.

My guess is the horizontal mounted fuel fill. And that is easy to test like I mentioned in the past post. Keep in mind it might seal 100 percent depending on air temp and then might not seal with temp changes. The same goes for the vent line and condensation building there.

Is it possible certain waves showering itself thru the fuel vent when running thru out on the waterways ?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Registered

Did this get resolved?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
If the tank had a hole in it, wouldn't it leak fuel into the bilge? Never a drop in there...weird issue!!
no, not always. My bet is tank. I had this exact issue. I pressure tested the tank 5 different times. When i finally pulled the tank it had the smallest leak you’ve ever seen. It was more of like a soft spot in a starting to corrode area. No gas in bilge, no smell, etc... water just got in there, but i think water surrounded the tank as well, giving me a false pressure reading, and more or less keeping the fumes down.

i chased this for ever, did all the stuff you did. Tank the whole time.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35

no, not always. My bet is tank. I had this exact issue. I pressure tested the tank 5 different times. When i finally pulled the tank it had the smallest leak you’ve ever seen. It was more of like a soft spot in a starting to corrode area. No gas in bilge, no smell, etc... water just got in there, but i think water surrounded the tank as well, giving me a false pressure reading, and more or less keeping the fumes down.

i chased this for ever, did all the stuff you did. Tank the whole time.
not sure I understand the situation above...how are you getting that much water around the tank?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem when I lived in the keys. I had a 23 tsunami open fish with a 200+ Gallon tank. Boat was stored on a lift and every time I used it I would get 100 yards from my dock and it would sputter and stall. Always a water issue. It turned out that damp weather condensation from the deck over night dampness would run down the deck, get under the center console and run down under deck thru access holes onto the tank. Tank had some pin holes on the top and the water found its way into the tank. Never smelled gas or had any in the bilge. Of course you couldn't see it without removing the console and scrubbing the top of tank which exposed them. Pressure testing tank may expose your problem. I just had to change my tanks in my project 31 sonic, same problem but had gas smell so I just removed and replaced. Good luck it drove me crazy for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.