Notices

Shootout results

Old 08-28-2018, 11:02 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sure did not seem like 72 boats - take away the 10 jetskis - anyways what was disappointing not one V hull I/O USA made in the last 5 or maybe even 10 years in the event. Many brand new 150 K pontoons and 200 K plus cat boats with outboards and new CC outboard boats 250 K plus. Seemed like most V hulls I/O s were 15 to 28 years old in the event . Dont get me wrong thats good they entered in the event -- but what maybe 20 V hull I/Os total in the event that is not very much for the largest event in the world. Just saying.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
Sure did not seem like 72 boats - take away the 10 jetskis - anyways what was disappointing not one V hull I/O USA made in the last 5 or maybe even 10 years in the event. Many brand new 150 K pontoons and 200 K plus cat boats with outboards and new CC outboard boats 250 K plus. Seemed like most V hulls I/O s were 15 to 28 years old in the event . Dont get me wrong thats good they entered in the event -- but what maybe 20 V hull I/Os total in the event that is not very much for the largest event in the world. Just saying.
BUP, seems to me that the success of the event has a bit to do with that, at least where the performance boating public is concerned.
From discussions with other boaters over the years, many don't run if they feel they can't win their class and, honestly, I think many don't want to put up an "official" number on their boat in front of the world (considering it is indeed an international event).
Perhaps some don't want to be humbled, but many surely don't want to "unimpress", so to speak, in front of everyone. Or, they feel their boat isn't worth watching, so they don't run it.
I've challenged friends to a group grudge match that I thought would be fun for the commentators and fans. No luck. It's just difficult to get people to run their equipment in front of that many people, even if there boat is fairly new and respectably fast.
However, some people likely have a concern about running uninsured, too. Understandable. For a slow boat like mine, it was more dangerous running LOTO on any given summer weekend.
My $.02.

I'd be interested in a thread titled "What/Who Do You Want To See Run The Shootout?". I'd like to see who/what pops up and if they would be more encouraged to run.

Folks should keep two things in mind: it's for charity and it's for fun. Don't overthink it. Run your sh*t and have a good time.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Boat manufacture would be cool to see listed with speeds runs.
That also might give a person some idea of what all those cryptic classes mean?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
That also might give a person some idea of what all those cryptic classes mean?
I would've WON my class... nv2p1b 'cause I would've been the only one in it....

Classification Guide

DIVISION(S)

• Professional
  • Manufacturers
    • Top V-Hull
    • Top Cat
  • Non-Professional

HULL TYPES

V.....V-HULL BOATS

C.....CATAMARAN AND TUNNEL HULL BOATS

VO....V-HULL OUTBOARDS

CO....CATAMARAN AND TUNNEL HULL BOATS W/OUTBOARDS

P.....PONTOON

D.....DECK BOATS

F.....FACTORY BOATS

H.....HYDROPLANES

VL....SUPER V-LIGHTS

PO....PONTOON OUTBOARD

CC....CENTER CONSOLE

LENGTHS

1.....22’ – 26’

2.....27’ – 31’

3.....32’ – 35’

4.....36’ – 42’

5.....43’ – 49’

6.....50’ and over

ENGINE CLASSIFICATIONS

S – STOCK ENGINES (ANY PRODUCTION ENGINES WITHOUT MODIFICATION, 500 HP ENGINES ARE NOT STOCK)

F – FOR MODIFIED FACTORY ENGINES WITHOUT POWER (INCLUDES 525 SC STOCK)

M – CUSTOM BUILT MODIFIED ENGINES WITHOUT POWER ADDED FEATURES

P – POWER ADDED FEATURES (i.e. BLOWERS, TURBOS, NITROS,etc.)

T – TURBINES

A – 700 MERC. ONLY

NUMBER OF ENGINES

DRIVE TYPE
A – NON BRAVO – B-MAX, IMCO, CONRAD

B – BRAVO

R – #6, NXT, SURFACE DRIVES
BOAT NUMBER
EXAMPLE – PV3P4R-1 is Professional division, V-HULL, 32’ – 35’
POWER ADDED W/4 ENGINES, Surface Drive, boat #1

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 08-28-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

There is another engine classification not listed...C is what the 400R cats/pontoons are showing
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Yep, too many classes. What's the one where the winner ran 25 mph? Canoes? lol
That should be the electric boat. I heard about it on the radio but did not see.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Not saying this in a bad way but how many boats were in the shootout ? Does not seem like that many at all. Many runs thou - I think they said 225 runs so lets say the average was 4 runs per boat = around 55 boats for a guess but if I recall they had about 7 to 10 Jet skis. Anyone have an idea how many boats ? Thanks
I think the Phantom 32 was a new boat. 120mph and they struggled with wind all day and still put that number up. Pretty cool boat.

They need to have some bounties added to get guys fired up to race. Put a category sponsor together....
XXX Race Engines - Single Engine V Category - $5000 to win
This will draw more competitors, more hype, etc.....and bring in more $ for the charity while giving the racers a small incentive to gun for.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Big Thunder ran their Demo 38ft Fountain I/O in the Shootout this year.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

Bup, we needed to see that bad boy Lavey run!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran for the first time, in my 20 year old boat. Just wanted to see what it was like and be part of it. Figured it was towards a good cause and just for fun anyways. There are a lot of classes, but I get a plaque for winning my class, so it will go on a wall somewhere. I think more people should do it. I have a 29 Fountain with twin 454's ran 83 first run and 90 on the second. Probably not exciting to watch, but i'm glad I did it. Course seems a lot smaller when you're actually running down it in front of a bunch of people!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.