Notices

Bad azz! F1/Cig ad

Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Been to about 10 F1 races, 10 Indy's, 2 Nascar, 3 NRHA, tons of smaller circuit stuff. All have their identity and are fun. Stopped watching F1 because it became more about the technology than the actual driver and racing. If I were pope of the joint I'd eliminate half the crap (actually over half the crap), make 'em shift like they used to and actually drive the car instead of fly it. I watch no F1 now.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who was a unlimited truck desert racing champ. He moved to Concord to get into Nascar. He also introduced me to you Tank in 2011 in KW. We have discussed F1 for hours over cocktails. The unlimited budget and beyond NASA tech as Gary stated has kept me engaged for years. Nascar going in a perpetual left hand turn for hours on end bores me. I will watch Nascar for the road races.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sort of a hijack but nothing beat :
1. Flat track motorcycles on a dirt mile.
2. The original CanAm series, it really was run what you brung with few rules. Mclaren, Jim Hall's Chaparral and eventually the monster Porsche 917.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I Went to Miami last weekend for the F1 Experience exhibition. I was talking to one of the planners. A lot of the people are complaining about it and are against it due to noise... However, the planners want to have it down along Biscayne for 2 reasons, 1. After 3PM its in the shade from the buildings and 2. The sound off the buildings echo is unreal! See below.

This was last Sunday, of course, if you are a fan of F1 you know that this is a 4 year old car and they dont sound like this anymore... At only 15 feet away the sound on the video breaks up because of its so loud and high pitch.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 80 Likes on 47 Posts

They used to have a killer IMSA race in Columbus.
The stuffed shirt, liberal locals *****ed every yr (4) they had it. They had a 3 yr contract w/the city but managed 4.
Ill never forget, end of yr 4, local news shoved a microphone in Jim Truemans (Red Roof Inns, True Sports Indy team) face and asked him how much money they lost.
He lit them up! (He was a stud)

Since the new owners have taken over F-1, they turned up boost on the cars, reduced wing size, increased tire size.
They then broke every track record this season.
Still boring though.

Go to YouTube, search “Ayrton Senna qualifying at Monaco”.
Then turn the volume knob to 11, and turn your phone off and witness magic.
Most believe, best qualifying lap ever.
As David Hobbs would say, “ giant attachments”!

Thats what’s missing now.
Car, driver, tires, all at 10/10’s.
You can’t sense the speed when the cars are stuck to the track.
A full lock, 4 wheel drift, over a blind crest, around a blind corner, w/o lifting.....

Nascar...... 😝
We watch for lap records not wrecks,
I once got an empty beer can to the head after educating a table of red necks (red neck bar) that at tthe filming of Days of Thunder, Tom Cruise was within 2/10’s of the lap record at Talledega (w/no training) so how hard could it be😂

No, none of the table of five would admit to me (by myself) who threw the can.

Nascar ......🤣

Indy car is now all identical spec racers too so who cares?

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 10-26-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta View Post
This was last Sunday, of course, if you are a fan of F1 you know that this is a 4 year old car and they dont sound like this anymore... At only 15 feet away the sound on the video breaks up because of its so loud and high pitch.
Nothing like the older cars. When I sat at the hairpin for the first time at the Canadian GP I got there as the cars were starting their qualifying on Sat. I could hear this car screaming in the distance, and I mean far away, as it got closer the screaming got louder and louder until finally it came screaming down the short straight before the hairpin. About 50 yards from the turn my first thought was I was going to witness the death of a driver he was going so fast...honestly I have no idea but it was FAST, no way he would stop that machine. Sure enough in an incredibly short distance the brakes glowed red and he slowed to maybe 30 mph or so to negotiate the hairpin then rocketed off...we all looked at each other and were like WTF. Nothing like it, and I've seen all racing...nothing.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

F1's real downfall is that To watch F1 you have to REALLY be a fan. You have to understand the strategies, technology, tracks, tires, rules and regulations, players, personas and all the grandeur that makes F1 the biggest sport in the world.

Like Indy just mentioned, last week we scanned our tickets and immediately walked up on turn 11 at Austin and the rain was coming down and when that first car came barreling down towards us, Even as an avid fan, I assumed his brakes had failed and he was going to end up 100 yards into the parking lot but he slammed on the brakes whipped around the turn and blew off into the distance - All in the pouring rain. It was unreal. That was my kids' first 20 seconds of "live" F1-their eyes were 3 inches in diameter. I revelled in listening to my 7 yard old jabber on endlessly about who was on ultra soft tires, who was on supersoft tires, whether they were on "hot laps" based on the amount of Sparks the skid plates were generating as they went through the turns and then insisting I turn my F1 app on so he could figure out how quickly Lewis was gaining on the Ferrari. Listening to him talk about how the mercs were gaining 3tenths a lap on the Ferrari was music to my ears!!!!

I'd love if Miami could happen and grow US interest in the sport.....

As a Lewis fan, I love thinking it's all over bar the shouting..... Roll on Sunday afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Way cool about your 7 yr old getting it!

I think they claim 3 - 4 g’s in the turns.I think the swimming pool complex at Monaco best shows the cars abilities of direction change.
They didn’t have it this season but normally have a camera shooting straight at them.They appear
to ignore physics in their brutal direction changes.

The current race coverage and commentators pretty well suck IMO.

I would love to see them go back to single car, no rules, qualifying instead of the chess games they now play.

I read that back in the unlimited turbo days of the ‘80’s where they allowed a “qualifying” engine that could then be replaced after qualifying that most of the engines had ZERO salvageable internal parts!
Were rumors of 1500 hp motors!

Take a beer and peruse YouTube videos of the motors on dynos.
They have dynos that simulate gear changes and track layouts!

One cool clip is a British team (Menard?)warming the motor and the engineers have it play “god save the queen”!

Originally Posted by seafordguy View Post
F1's real downfall is that To watch F1 you have to REALLY be a fan. You have to understand the strategies, technology, tracks, tires, rules and regulations, players, personas and all the grandeur that makes F1 the biggest sport in the world.

Like Indy just mentioned, last week we scanned our tickets and immediately walked up on turn 11 at Austin and the rain was coming down and when that first car came barreling down towards us, Even as an avid fan, I assumed his brakes had failed and he was going to end up 100 yards into the parking lot but he slammed on the brakes whipped around the turn and blew off into the distance - All in the pouring rain. It was unreal. That was my kids' first 20 seconds of "live" F1-their eyes were 3 inches in diameter. I revelled in listening to my 7 yard old jabber on endlessly about who was on ultra soft tires, who was on supersoft tires, whether they were on "hot laps" based on the amount of Sparks the skid plates were generating as they went through the turns and then insisting I turn my F1 app on so he could figure out how quickly Lewis was gaining on the Ferrari. Listening to him talk about how the mercs were gaining 3tenths a lap on the Ferrari was music to my ears!!!!

I'd love if Miami could happen and grow US interest in the sport.....

As a Lewis fan, I love thinking it's all over bar the shouting..... Roll on Sunday afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 10-27-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Find the video of the Red Bull car doing doughnuts on top of a sky scraper for a PR video!
lifted the car by helicopter.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Nothing like the older cars. When I sat at the hairpin for the first time at the Canadian GP I got there as the cars were starting their qualifying on Sat. I could hear this car screaming in the distance, and I mean far away, as it got closer the screaming got louder and louder until finally it came screaming down the short straight before the hairpin. About 50 yards from the turn my first thought was I was going to witness the death of a driver he was going so fast...honestly I have no idea but it was FAST, no way he would stop that machine. Sure enough in an incredibly short distance the brakes glowed red and he slowed to maybe 30 mph or so to negotiate the hairpin then rocketed off...we all looked at each other and were like WTF. Nothing like it, and I've seen all racing...nothing.
Like Seafordguy I have a 7 year old. You cant see him but he was on my shoulders when I took those videos. After Renault did the donut and drives away my kid goes "Daddy, I dont think these earplugs work" every person around us erupted in laughter. We go to every motorsports event in Florida, Seabring, 24 Hours Daytona, Grand Prix of St Pete and I usually throw in a NASCAR race and drag races once in a while. We havent been to F1 yet but watch it religiously. After this F1 event, I cant wait for next year, we are going. We never miss Seabring and 24 Daytona. Watching those cars at night is cool. Watching them in the rain like 2017 is crazy. I thought they would slow down - NOPE. 100% wide open in the backstretch, hit the brakes at the 100 foot mark. Insanity!

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser