Why choose a center console? >

Why choose a center console?

Notices

Why choose a center console?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
I'm going CC because after 27 years in performance boats I'm just done with the compromises and fuss.

I'm a big guy, now in my mid-fifties.
I'm done with climbing, crawling, jumping, stooping, no floor space, lack of storage and versatile seating, I/O's, maintenance, fuel economy, the list goes on...
It was a good time, and times I'll never forget, but also time to move on...

Don't want a cruiser as I really have no interest in staying aboard 20 mins from my house at the marina, as nice as it is.
Don't want a cruiser as they are zero fun to operate in relation to almost anything else
If I ever did get the bug to overnight or do a little destination cruising, nice used FW 90's sea Ray 27/29/30 even the original 310's are all easily had under 20K and are plentiful.

Don't want to sit on the floor in a big bowrider or any of the admittedly nice variations of that dayboat theme.
Don't want a traditional framed glass windshield
Don't want to be limited to a narrow center walk to the bow

I want a high quality "soap and water" boat with immense floorspace, outboards that are quiet and economical with a long lifespan
I want to sit up high off the deck in high quality seating, not have to take my boat shoes or sandals off if I don't feel like it, is easy to get to 360* around the boat, on and on and on..."ease of use" "low maintenance" "versatile" top priorities

Something that runs 50+MPH, gets 3 MPG at a lazy 30 MPH cruise, has a big tank equaling 400+ miles of range, ridiculous storage space, huge enclosed head, LeBroc captains chairs, big long bow loungers with backrests, the largest most well though-out T-top in the production boat segment, excellent construction and high quality rigging, big beamy rough water hull with a deep far-forward entry and some flare...
that the manufacturer has a great reputation for after-sale care and is willing to accommodate a few reasonable custom requests in the build...

I have a 10 year old who boats with me, who as miffed as she was about selling the 353 (and she still hassles me about that 18 mo. later) is going to love how fun and easy this is going to be for both of us.

She has done all the research and road-trips with me looking for the right CC for us.
We found the product and the dealer who has been exceptional thus far in every respect including pricing.

We may even fly down for a couple days to see our boat in build and take the plant tour.

Our new boat was ordered yesterday.
This is deja vu for me. Only difference is when I left performance boating I went to a Formula 350SS. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice boat. The family liked it. My wife loved it. But it was so boring to drive, plus it had every bell and whistle on it, so it actually increased my maintenance and cleaning time, not to mention increasing fuel costs. After 6 seasons with it I wanted a compromise. Something the family would like as much, plenty of room, easy to maintain, and drove more like a performance boat than a cruiser. The CC seems to check all the boxes you mention above. And although my wife likes it, she reminds me her favorite boat was the 350SS.

Congrats on the Cobia. Very nice.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

The 262 update of the 261 is debuting at the Miami show

Was originally shopping everybody's 24'ers and eliminated them one-by-one for any and all reasons from layout, rigging, quality of components and finish, reputation for ride and after sale support, dealer responsiveness attitude and pricing.

We were in Jersey to look at a 240 Cobia as we were down to just 2 or 3 competitors and the Cobia was pulling ahead...
In the showroom at Garden State Yacht there is at least one of every Cobia model so you can see how the entire line is built.
The 26 (3 of them actually) was next to the 24
Couldn't believe how much bigger the 26 was. 2'1" more bottom, 5" more beam it's BIG for a 26
option for option (inclusive content per model or option) identically equipped, premier seating and all, the 26 with twin 150 Yams vs 240 with single 300 was another 20K my price.
No brainer!

The Cobia line is really well thought out, laid out, constructed, and rigged, attention to detail is excellent.
Lotsa vids out there for the curious as to why I say this.
Everything drains overboard
every wire in the in-house built wiring harness is labeled both ends
most everything screwed in the cockpit is screwed into aluminum plates sandwiched in the layup, hand drilled and tapped for cap screws
and more...

Basically I was looking for the "Formula Experience" including the lines, quality, and finish appearance in a production CC
As far as I'm concerned apparently, Cobia nails it.

Last edited by Rippem; 02-14-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Best boating decision I've ever made to go with a CC with twin OB's. The hulls of all the current performance CC's like Concept and Renegade are based off 24 degree deadrise hulls so they are every bit the same as a traditional "go fast" running surface. I have a small CC with a head to duck out of weather or nap. With the CC and under deck compartment I'd say I have more usable storage room than any traditional closed deck boat of similar size. 9 People can enjoy a comfortable ride with room to spare. Would I enter a Poker Run and allow folks to sit up front, no, but I do routinely run through slop and have never heard a complaint from my passengers. I have the exact same standup bolsters that a closed deck boat has if I want to run hard. Winterizing an IO in the northeast is just a pain in the ass. I tilt my motors down, let the water flow out, and I'm winterized (I do go the extra and change oil, gear lube and fog the cylinders) I'm totally done with contorting my body troubleshooting an IO. No gimbal housing as an added achilles heal. No IO engine means more usable square footage. I still do love the sound of a good IO but running at 50 and being able to talk with the persons near me in a regular tone of voice plus enjoy the radio without having to chat above 100db is a plus. Being able to see the rudder angle at all times makes close quarters maneuvering easy with a single or twins. I'd never go back to an IO over the new four strokes.

Last edited by Ing; 02-14-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

The Cobia's certainly not a "performance" center console as Ing speaks of, but that depends on how you define performance, and what kind of $ you want to spend on one.
I thought about it but went the "traditional" CC route
big thing was I wanted a walk-thru transom

just a shout out, wanna thank the guys before me beginning a decade or more back who saw the light, who were performance boaters of means who started all these CC developments and changes by pushing for them with the performance builders. Then it trickled down.
They are greatly responsible IMO for the myriad of "less-fishy more comfortable family and fun layouts and content" choices in CC's that we have today.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Rippem; 02-14-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

IvII had all 3 set ups. Outboards,inboards, I/o and surface drives. Outboards by far in every aspect are the best. In 2012 had Merc 300xs 2 strokes. Awesome just not quite enough torque for a heavier V bottom but new 300R is 40 percent more than those which should make a big difference. Fuel economy as well is great.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
The Cobia's certainly not a "performance" center console as Ing speaks of, but that depends on how you define performance, and what kind of $ you want to spend on one.
I thought about it but went the "traditional" CC route
big thing was I wanted a walk-thru transom

just a shout out, wanna thank the guys before me beginning a decade or more back who saw the light, who were performance boaters of means who started all these CC developments and changes by pushing for them with the performance builders. Then it trickled down.
They are greatly responsible IMO for the myriad of "less-fishy more comfortable family and fun layouts and content" choices in CC's that we have today.
Thanks guys.
I'm thinking you made a very good choice. That boat has enough comfort but isn't overloaded with needless bling. ed
Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll never go back.
40 Skater - fun but unreliable and expensive. By expensive I mean the least expensive part is purchasing the boat. Burned $7000 in race fuel shootout week, $12,000 in insurance, $50,000 rebuilds every 100 hours, $30,000 for drives,
28 Skater - fun, reliable, but can't handle the rough.
368 Statement - Great boat. Loved it. Only reason I got rid of it was to get a.....
380 Statement - trip 400s. Goes almost 80mph. 30 speakers with a stereo that will make your ears bleed. Can go pee on the boat, haul 40 cases of beer, cook a meal, mix a drink, dance with 20 of your friends to Hypnotize, run in fresh or salt water, have full sun with lounging or get under the top for shade, fish if you want, dock with ease, tie up with a rub rail, get in and out of the water with ease, break a motor and laugh because it's a free new one for 5 more years, go 300 miles on a tank of fuel, haul all your luggage to the Bahamas, let anyone drive it because it's easy.....

In summary, I'd rather go boating than be broke down. I'd rather spend my money on boating in amazing places rather than repairs. I've done both at the extremes. #CCsforlife
Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I'll never go back.
40 Skater - fun but unreliable and expensive. By expensive I mean the least expensive part is purchasing the boat. Burned $7000 in race fuel shootout week, $12,000 in insurance, $50,000 rebuilds every 100 hours, $30,000 for drives,
28 Skater - fun, reliable, but can't handle the rough.
368 Statement - Great boat. Loved it. Only reason I got rid of it was to get a.....
380 Statement - trip 400s. Goes almost 80mph. 30 speakers with a stereo that will make your ears bleed. Can go pee on the boat, haul 40 cases of beer, cook a meal, mix a drink, dance with 20 of your friends to Hypnotize, run in fresh or salt water, have full sun with lounging or get under the top for shade, fish if you want, dock with ease, tie up with a rub rail, get in and out of the water with ease, break a motor and laugh because it's a free new one for 5 more years, go 300 miles on a tank of fuel, haul all your luggage to the Bahamas, let anyone drive it because it's easy.....

In summary, I'd rather go boating than be broke down. I'd rather spend my money on boating in amazing places rather than repairs. I've done both at the extremes. #CCsforlife
Ive also had them all, and while youre 100% correct about the center consoles being pretty much an SUV of the boating world, there's one thing they cant do, no matter how many 400 Verados you hang on the back. And that is give you that adrenaline rush that you can taste when you lay the sticks down and youre running 150+ on the water. There's nothing like that feeling and for alot of the guys that stil have the fast boats, its like a drug that you need to have. Some people just arent speed junkies and they had the go fast boats just because they thought it was cool. Well, those are the guys that have gotten out of it.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Ortho, couldn’t agree more
Although I had a great experience, and a ton of fun in the go fast world , just can’t beat the fun factor that everyone has had on my Cig CC
My Merc 1100 turbos were trouble free, But there are only a small handful of my friends who want to go as fast as the boat should be run
The CC will still run 70 if the need is there.
Theres nothing better than taking 3-4 couples for dinner and drinks on a Friday night, than run the boat Saturday morning 30 miles TO a Poker Run, do the run, and boat home another 30 miles that night.
True Story.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing

Best boating decision I've ever made to go with a CC with twin OB's. The hulls of all the current performance CC's like Concept and Renegade are based off 24 degree deadrise hulls so they are every bit the same as a traditional "go fast" running surface. .

Sharp looking boat! The Renegade posted here earlier in the week was beautiful, sadly the thread got deleted as "advertising" but the boat showed what they are capable of building now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.