Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done >

Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Notices

Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I totally understand your situation and I'm with Griff. There are a lot of "boaters" that know nothing about boats. I have completely redone two 357"s. My current one is and an '89 that has been so customized it takes a real Formula guy to know what it is but I have a FORTUNE in to it and just really like the boat. If you have specific questions I'm more that happy to help. I am also a broker in Ft Lauderdale and have worked on a lot of stuff with Formula and their vintage support is second to none.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Registered

Default Water in hull

357's have an issue with draining water from the front of the boat. There should be a bilge pump under the cabin step. Make sure it is operating. The water from any leaks is supposed to drain from the keel to under the step. You'll see a hole on either
side of the containment box which also serves as the drain for the a/c pan. The box will have the a/c water pump and the bilge pump in it. There also tends to be rot in this area if water is allowed to intrude unchecked. There is also an odd little thing Formula would do for the radio antenna on the port side. They typically would use a single wire with a ring terminal that would attach to the bow rail bolt and by doing so use the bow rail as an antenna. Cool idea except the o-ring wears under the railing and they leak and create a drip line down the wire to behind the cabinets on the port side. This being said all the water eventually drains to the bilge via the drain holes behind and under the fuel tank and on either side behind the bench. I found that during heavy rain and any leakage from around the fuel tank cover (middle of the cockpit floor) and from the front of the boat would fill the bilge quickly. This all needs to be inspected and addressed to keep a dry boat.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Registered

Default Pulling

If the boat is pulling you most likely have a bad gimble. You mentioned it being very easy to move, in one direction, so make sure and check the gimble pins and steering ram. Typically a worn TRS gimble will cause a pull or turn on decel or accel. This can be very dangerous at speed so make sure nothing moves around on the back of the boat by lifting / pushing on the drives and checking for play.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Registered

Default Rot

On where your hose is coming through the stringer that may not be rot. Formula didn't always finish up that pass through cleanly. If it is rot its a good time to pull the motors and go over everything in the bilge and make repairs, paint, clean up rigging etc...
Old 09-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Velvet drives are sexy, so smooth
Old 09-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyba20

I noticed that too. I felt that spot with my hand and it was solid, almost like someone needed a hole and didn’t have a saw so they just punched it through with a hammer and a screwdriver...something my dad would do. And I see the waterline. It definitely took on water at some point, I just don’t know for how long.
the pass thru area on the stringer looks fine to me...formula probably left it unfinished as many manufacturers do.

i would be nervous about the silicone around the outdrive assembly. There is no need for silicone unless they were leaking. sure fire band aid fix for something that could be a bigger issue.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

the pass thru area on the stringer looks fine to me...formula probably left it unfinished as many manufacturers do.

i would be nervous about the silicone around the outdrive assembly. There is no need for silicone unless they were leaking. sure fire band aid fix for something that could be a bigger issue.

This drive has been serviced recently it appears. But then again I don’t know much.

A closer view. Looks to me like this sealant was applied at the same time as the gasket. Maybe they reused the existing gasket and added the sealant as a secondary protectant?

Other side of the drive. I don’t know anything about Federal Marine but they have stickers all over the transmissions and drives.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyba20

This drive has been serviced recently it appears. But then again I don’t know much.

A closer view. Looks to me like this sealant was applied at the same time as the gasket. Maybe they reused the existing gasket and added the sealant as a secondary protectant?

Other side of the drive. I don’t know anything about Federal Marine but they have stickers all over the transmissions and drives.
If it were recently fixed...it wasn’t put back together properly. That gasket is supposed to go on dry. No need for added silicone.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Of course it wasnt...I’m not that lucky...
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by JCCRAZY
I totally understand your situation and I'm with Griff. There are a lot of "boaters" that know nothing about boats. I have completely redone two 357"s. My current one is and an '89 that has been so customized it takes a real Formula guy to know what it is but I have a FORTUNE in to it and just really like the boat. If you have specific questions I'm more that happy to help. I am also a broker in Ft Lauderdale and have worked on a lot of stuff with Formula and their vintage support is second to none.

This boat is amazing. My boat will never look like this, I don’t have your vision. Or knowledge. And I’ve got too many hobbies. But my gosh, that’s amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.