Notices

Miami Boat Show Of Force

Old 02-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
I don't RESENT any of them < I could afford one if I wanted , I just can't justify the cost for as little as I would use one these day's , and for the record I bought a brand new 35 gofast for way under 200 k about 11 or 12 years ago now that same boat is mid 300 k thats what im talking about
Poor choice of words on my part. What I should have said is I understand your frustration. I should put words (or the feelings they imply) in your mouth.

The subject reminds me of a current pole on OSO about the demand for single-engine V-bottoms at a certain price point. Even if the demand is there, and it would have to be significant as such boats would absolutely have to run off assembly lines as they used to, and that kind of production is not feasible/profitable without scale, I don't believe any builder could fill it at anything close to former price points.

Trust me, if there was a way to fill that demand profitably—key word—some smart businessperson would fill it.

The assumption out there (not yours) that all go-fast boatbuilders are greedy is total rubbish. If there was good money to be made, they'd be all over it. But ask any builder in the industry how difficult it is to make money off small boats and you'll get an earful. The proof is simply this: No one has been able to do it successfully for more than a decade. I wish nothing but success for the new owners of Checkmate, for example. But they face a steep climb.

Like most of the high-performance boat owners I know, most builders I know are self-made. They blessed with entrepreneurial spirit. So if they see a good chance—two more key words—they take it.

There's a reason why none are stepping up.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 02-20-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Poor choice of words on my part. What I should have said is I understand your frustration. I should put words (or the feelings they imply) in your mouth.

The subject reminds me of a current pole on OSO about the demand for single-engine V-bottoms at a certain price point. Even if the demand is there, and it would have to be significant as such boats would absolutely have to run off assembly lines as they used to, and that kind of production is not feasible/profitable without scale, I don't believe any builder could fill it at anything close to former price points.

Trust me, if there was a way to fill that demand profitably—key word—some smart businessperson would fill it.

The assumption out there (not yours) that all go-fast boatbuilders are greedy is total rubbish. If there was good money to be made, they'd be all over it. But ask any builder in the industry how difficult it is to make money off small boats and you'll get an earful. The proof is simply this: No one has been able to do it successfully for more than a decade. I wish nothing but success for the new owners of Checkmate, for example. But they face a steep climb.

Like most of the high-performance boat owners I know, most builders I know are self-made. They blessed with entrepreneurial spirit. So if they see a good chance—two more key words—they take it.

There's a reason why none are stepping up.
all good points , when i was having a single engine boat built back in early 2000 the owner told me, other then a few grand extra for glass and the extra motor package cost he can charge double the price for a 36 to 38 footer from a 28 single back in the day and only have another $ 30 to 40 k invested , so the profit would be alot better on a twin screw boat
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
all good points , when i was having a single engine boat built back in early 2000 the owner told me, other then a few grand extra for glass and the extra motor package cost he can charge double the price for a 36 to 38 footer from a 28 single back in the day and only have another $ 30 to 40 k invested , so the profit would be alot better on a twin screw boat
Exactly, Mike. And I don't know how you double-back on that as a boatbuilder, especially if you cannot establish/project demand.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Might want to check the reborn Velocity out, currently has a 29 with twin 300 outboards in production.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Guys- wakeboard boats are now 200+K and people buy them. It’s unbelievable