Notices

Holley sniper efi

Old 08-31-2020, 07:43 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Seymour tn
Posts: 89
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Holley sniper efi

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience using the sniper efi kits. I have two Mildly built 454s going in my 12 meter and was pondering on doing efi. Pros. Cons. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks nick
12meter is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:55 AM
  #2  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
resurrected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Owen Sound Ont.
Posts: 656
Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

I have installed the Sniper EFI on my 177 Blown big blocks. Love them, I haven't even scratched the surface of the tuning ability of them, very limited time on them so far. I bought the extensions for O2 Sensors. Other than initial cost for the complete system, I don't see any downside.
resurrected is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 07:00 AM
  #3  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
phughes69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
Posts: 1,887
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I looked into using the sniper system for a blow thru twin turbo system on one of my Scarabs, and read good reviews about it. There is a Faceboog group supported by holley for the Sniper. Most of the people *****ing about it usually results from bad wiring and bad installations. I heard that they did have a bad batch of injectors but that was a while ago. Holley support on the FB group seems pretty prompt. Even though I dont have one, if I were to go the rout of a TBI EFI system, the sniper would be the way to go.
phughes69 is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 09:56 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Have one on my 454. Pros: Works flawlessly, aside from one bad oxygen sensor, I used the Innovate Motorsports extension and haven't had a problem since. Such easy tuning, fires up immediately every time. I also have the hyperspark ignition setup as well and can create perfect timing curves easily.
Cons: Cost? The price really isn't that bad, especially when you compare how easy it is to tune it vs a carb.
I don't think I'll ever go back to a carb.
LakeHuronPower is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM
  #5  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
phughes69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
Posts: 1,887
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LakeHuronPower View Post
Have one on my 454. Pros: Works flawlessly, aside from one bad oxygen sensor, I used the Innovate Motorsports extension and haven't had a problem since. Such easy tuning, fires up immediately every time. I also have the hyperspark ignition setup as well and can create perfect timing curves easily.
Cons: Cost? The price really isn't that bad, especially when you compare how easy it is to tune it vs a carb.
I don't think I'll ever go back to a carb.
Do you have to wait a few seconds before cranking the engine over? Ive heard if you dont, the engine will flood because it is not finished priming the fuel system
phughes69 is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 11:32 AM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by phughes69 View Post
Do you have to wait a few seconds before cranking the engine over? Ive heard if you dont, the engine will flood because it is not finished priming the fuel system
It won't flood. When you turn the key the pump comes on for a couple seconds then it shoots a priming shot of fuel onto the throttle plates. You don't have to wait for it to do this, but it does start easier when you do.
LakeHuronPower is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 AM
  #7  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,770
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

I only have a few hours on my system but so far I donít miss swapping jets at all.

Donít use Holleyís install kit. Use higher quality marine components like the fuel pump, hoses, etc as what they supply is not sufficient for marine duty.

Baja Rooster is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 11:52 AM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Seymour tn
Posts: 89
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info. Iím definitely leaning towards doing it on my engines. Iíll check innovative motor sports out. That was a big question of mine were the o2 sensor installs
12meter is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 12:07 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
I only have a few hours on my system but so far I donít miss swapping jets at all.

Donít use Holleyís install kit. Use higher quality marine components like the fuel pump, hoses, etc as what they supply is not sufficient for marine duty.
I would agree don't buy Holley's master kit, make your own. And DO NOT cheap out on the wiring, that is the root cause of 90% of people's issues.

Originally Posted by 12meter View Post
Thanks for the info. Iím definitely leaning towards doing it on my engines. Iíll check innovative motor sports out. That was a big question of mine were the o2 sensor installs
You'll need a bung welded in.
LakeHuronPower is offline  
Old 09-01-2020, 12:20 PM
  #10  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,770
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

This may be of value to you.
How to install oxygen sensor bungs.

I have over 50 hours on my wideband O2 sensor with the Innovative heat sink with no issues.
Baja Rooster is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.