Notices

Might leave CA

Old 11-20-2020, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

most if not all condo's with slips are a 99 year lease also you dont pay PP tax on the slip so you dont own it
Old 11-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Prices right now at LOTO are going crazy. Decent stuff is selling for 30-50% more than it was a year ago and sold within hours of being listed. There are major reasons that the ones you listed have not sold yet. My advice on buying at LOTO...........Get a GREAT REALTOR who knows the ins and outs of LOTO.

The very nice 2nd one is 29mm of main channel and not no wake as stated. It is rough as fuk there on a summer weekend. A friend has a house on the other side of the white/brown condos. He said he checks his dock weekly and has a welder on speed dial.

The 3rd one is in TanTara and needs work. High HOA's and in most of TanTara, you don't own the land. You have a 99 year lease on the land which is very expensive at $500-1000+/month.

The 4th one is also main channel. Small world...my grandpa built it as a spec house. It has been added onto a couple times since, but looks like it has never been updated since he built it. He actually developed about the shoreline to the right(looking from lake), two lots to the left and the upper tier area. My parents owned the empty lot to the left. Another issue could be septic system. It was going to cost 40k for my parents just do a septic system since the lot is not very deep.

The 5th one is also just off the channel of Gravois Arm 4.5mm. It will be very ROUGH on weekends.

The 6th is a duplex/townhome with slip on community dock and HOA is $540/month. Nice place and good location by land and water, but pricey for what it is.
Spot on. I have the duplex, called Villa just to the right of the one in #6. We have been there since 2006. They are nice, and roomy at about 3300 SF, and the surrounding property and community pool is well kept with a lot of green space. But as Griff said, all those nice surrounding grounds come with quarterly assessments to keep them in that shape. As the current treasurer, I've become painfully aware of how much it costs to keep it looking the way it does. HOA dues are $1228 per quarter, $240 of that goes to reserve for future major ticket items like painting and roof replacements. The other $988 goes to operational maintenance, mostly taken up by huge landscaping, mowing, mulching etc cost, pool maintenance, utilities, insurance, and exterior villa upkeep.

This summer 5-6 of the 38 villas sold, and a couple of them sold for more than asking price as a couple buyers would get into a bidding war. The only ones that were on the market for very long were the ones that went on the market before the virus hit. My wife and I talked about selling, as we have a pretty sweet location with a large slip, and a second slip on the dock closest to the golf course that we keep jetskis at, and filled it half in for swimming off of and entertaining. The is not a ripple back there even on the holiday weekends. I think I could turn it pretty quickly. Our issue quickly became finding a cove like that and the same amenities and space in a private home, say in Cove 6 nearby. Once we started looking, to replace what we have in a private home was not only north of $500K, it was way closer to $1M. And although most of them had decent water, it is really hard to find "not a ripple" on a holiday weekend.

That said, if it were my primary home, I'd sell in a second, plus sell my primary home and move to a private home, likely in Cove 6.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
A turn key single residence home with decent square footage, decent lake frontage, centrally located in a nice cove with a nice 2 well dock is going to set you back well North of $500K. Most of what we look at that we’d be interested in is in the $600-700+K range. And I’m not talking some mansion. Just a nice, clean home. You have to really watch were you end up by land and water.
From what I've seen online, I completely agree with you. To match what I have out here on the water in California, I'm only going to save $300k - $400k, it's not like what everybody thinks - you can't move back there for $300k and live happily ever-after.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

If you're willing to go a bit more...remote...Table Rock gives you a larger bang for the buck than LOTO.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bajaman
If you're willing to go a bit more...remote...Table Rock gives you a larger bang for the buck than LOTO.
Two totally different lakes, on TR only a hand few of places to eat and drink on the lake compared to a hundred or so at LOTO, I had a place on TR for 13yrs the clear deep water is awesome, my boat on TR is king daddy just another boat on LOTO
The following users liked this post:
bajaman (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Prices right now at LOTO are going crazy. Decent stuff is selling for 30-50% more than it was a year ago and sold within hours of being listed. There are major reasons that the ones you listed have not sold yet. My advice on buying at LOTO...........Get a GREAT REALTOR who knows the ins and outs of LOTO.

The very nice 2nd one is 29mm of main channel and not no wake as stated. It is rough as fuk there on a summer weekend. A friend has a house on the other side of the white/brown condos. He said he checks his dock weekly and has a welder on speed dial.

The 3rd one is in TanTara and needs work. High HOA's and in most of TanTara, you don't own the land. You have a 99 year lease on the land which is very expensive at $500-1000+/month.

The 4th one is also main channel. Small world...my grandpa built it as a spec house. It has been added onto a couple times since, but looks like it has never been updated since he built it. He actually developed about the shoreline to the right(looking from lake), two lots to the left and the upper tier area. My parents owned the empty lot to the left. Another issue could be septic system. It was going to cost 40k for my parents just do a septic system since the lot is not very deep.

The 5th one is also just off the channel of Gravois Arm 4.5mm. It will be very ROUGH on weekends.

The 6th is a duplex/townhome with slip on community dock and HOA is $540/month. Nice place and good location by land and water, but pricey for what it is.
Some great info there. I only know what I've been watching on zillow and what not. You look at these houses and think, "that's totally doable" but don't know the intricate details like you're saying.

The prices do seem crazy out there right now but it's all relative...Prices are freakin crazy EVERYWHERE!! And if you're moving from somewhere like Ca. where the property tax, state, tax, cost of living is presumably higher, you have to estimate that in. I don't know those details but coming from CA. it HAS to be better. Plus I think (from visiting) the overall quality of life there can be better. More relaxed, people friendlier, more down to earth, less crime, homeless, drug issues, etc. Of course, living here on the beach in Ca. doesn't exactly suck. LOL I don't think I could do full time in LOTO though and deal with the winters.

Buddies moving to Tennessee next week because of the great tax breaks. He's retired and looking forward to it.

It's funny because people moving to the mid-west seems to be a hot topic on many forums and in conversations I've had with friends and family and various people as of late.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I had taken a quick look at TR a while back, but didn’t see any lakefront homes “with” personal dock in front of home.
I like the idea of lots going on around me, but away from all the wakes hitting the dock.
I noticed several homes for sale in Camdenton, but this area seems away from all the action?
By the way, I may be from CA but not a Dem!
The following users liked this post:
Saintofferndale (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cig41
Thanks for all the input. I had taken a quick look at TR a while back, but didn’t see any lakefront homes “with” personal dock in front of home.
I like the idea of lots going on around me, but away from all the wakes hitting the dock.
I noticed several homes for sale in Camdenton, but this area seems away from all the action?
By the way, I may be from CA but not a Dem!
there are a few but they were grandfathered in before the CORPS basically said no more, so they started building community docks usually 20 slips each set off main channel so they cant be seen, this is what I like about TR the shorelines arent littered with docks like LOTO, good friend of mine has 3.5 acres on a flat point and has a 5 well personal dock on TR, like I said 2 totally different lakes
Old 11-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

SW Florida is where you should be looking. you can have it all with that budget.
The following 2 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
Eddienel (11-21-2020), thisistank (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

I need to get out of the CT, LI, RI area...a decent waterfront property is 700k minimum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.