Notices

Highest bid

Old 09-14-2021, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
way off…negative. You only know what you read on offshoreonly. Typical internet researcher with no real world experience.

I own an old boat. 27 years old. Have owned it for 8 years. Also know several people with late 80’s cigarettes.

coverage has never been an issue. it’s the price of coverage that is the stumbling block. Go re-read insurance threads. 90% of them are related to “I don’t want to pay that much for insurance”.

I just switched insurance companies last year. There are several companies that offered coverage including foremost, boat us, progressive, total dollar, and wagner.

These by no means are specialty insurance companies. There are more exclusive insurance companies that offer vintage coverage. Companies that service the wealthy. Not the average joe.

most wealthy people use umbrella policies or leverage there companies…

apples and oranges comparing how I insure a boat vs how herb chambers insured his yacht and collector cars.
You & Jupiter are both right, and both a little wrong at the same time.

I was one of the people posting. There are in fact TWO companies left willing to touch that policy. Yes, the rates are high, and they will only write a policy that covers $.40/$1.00 of what the boat “should be” worth if you wanted/needed to replace it.

I have insurance to protect against people, not equipment.

I also carry a considerable amount of insurance of all different types for business (products liability, property, land and equipment, licenses, the list goes on). Those companies wanted no part of any insurance in an old performance boat, none.

so it’s both a price thing and the fact they will just not write a policy for a boat of that vintage. Mine doesn’t have much original wood left in it, didn’t matter to them that the boat is almost all new as it says 1990 on the title, that’s all that matters.

look how many 2005 outerlimits are up for sale. Going to be tough to cover those in 2-3 years.
The following users liked this post:
jmoore1225 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
This is why I would not want a CC so I can take "16 of my close friends", if something happened how many of those 16 are friends or people looking for a pay out.
Whether there's 3 or 30 aboard, chances are in an event like that your policy is going to hit its maximum anyway.

Edit: Though I guess they could still come after you after your insurance company taps out.

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 09-14-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
You & Jupiter are both right, and both a little wrong at the same time.

I was one of the people posting. There are in fact TWO companies left willing to touch that policy. Yes, the rates are high, and they will only write a policy that covers $.40/$1.00 of what the boat “should be” worth if you wanted/needed to replace it.

I have insurance to protect against people, not equipment.

I also carry a considerable amount of insurance of all different types for business (products liability, property, land and equipment, licenses, the list goes on). Those companies wanted no part of any insurance in an old performance boat, none.

so it’s both a price thing and the fact they will just not write a policy for a boat of that vintage. Mine doesn’t have much original wood left in it, didn’t matter to them that the boat is almost all new as it says 1990 on the title, that’s all that matters.

look how many 2005 outerlimits are up for sale. Going to be tough to cover those in 2-3 years.
my point is finding insurance coverage isn’t impossible. There are companies out there willing to write a policy. I listed several…and I didn’t explore them all. Hagerty is another one that comes to mind.

insurance isn’t about the perception of “value”. All insurance policies are a rip off. If you are willing to write a giant check…the “no’s” turn into “yes’s”. Especially if you have a good relationship with the company.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm with Chubb, My Tiger is with total dollar, Chubb said no problem for agreed value of 500k
Old 09-14-2021, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Rob, can you send me your agents contact info?

I’m with foremost still, dollar was the second choice. No one else would touch it.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,081 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Im with [email protected]

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-14-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

I have a car insured with Hagerty as a historic vehicle and the car has historic plates. That brings restrictions for its use but doable and a lower insurance rate. Maybe the new owner could get a historic policy for the boat with restrictions on use. Hagerty writes old boats, that's how they started.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:18 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by caseyh
350-500k. does anyone know the actual condition of the boat?
From a reputable source who knows the value of used performance boats and has seen it up close, it is not in pristine condition as the pics indicate. Still nice, but by no means perfect.
The following users liked this post:
offshoredrillin (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Rob, can you send me your agents contact info?

I’m with foremost still, dollar was the second choice. No one else would touch it.
i generally talk with Francine
Francine Damiano

Customer Rep Manager

Boat & Yacht Dept.

Total Dollar Insurance

A Foundation Risk Partners Company

1 Pleasant Ave

Port Washington, NY 11050

Telephone #516-833-1571 & Fax 516-704-2285
Old 09-14-2021, 01:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I have a car insured with Hagerty as a historic vehicle and the car has historic plates. That brings restrictions for its use but doable and a lower insurance rate. Maybe the new owner could get a historic policy for the boat with restrictions on use. Hagerty writes old boats, that's how they started.
My 55 gasser is with Hagerty, 30k agreed value, no limitations at all.. 500 bucks a year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.