Notices

OT: Back in my day

Old 01-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

I wish i still had my Atari!! I cant even remember how many countles hours i spent playing space invaders, and frogger, dig-dug, joust, q-bert....oh man do i miss that system!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

Speaking of cartoons...where are they now:

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/tooncops.html?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know what year the 1st computer chip hit the market ? and who made it ? try 1973 and it was TEXAS instruments a hand held calculater... Heck i was out of high school that year!!!!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend purchased Atari 2600 off of Ebay and was able to find lots of games on Ebay as well. We play it when ever we get together. Tank and Missle command. Just like riding a bike!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1976 I bought my first calculator, a TI-30, when I started my machinist apprentice course. Was two years out of high school.
I don't remember what it cost, but I know it was real expensive. Close to a hundred bucks.
The display was LED's and it would eat batteries like there was no tomorrow. That I do remember.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

29 next month. I had ColecoVision, Stompers, and Pong as a kid. Anyone remember when Tonka trucks were METAL? WTF is up with all this plastic BS? This year at Christmas, I had to search for a week to find a slot-car racetrack for a gift. Those things were the BOMB when I was a kid.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 17 yr. old step daughter.
when she needs to do a report for school she just get's on the internet. ( I remember getting a ride to the library and digging through encyclopedias and card files and having to learn the "dewey decimal system).

She has a cell phone. Damn thing rings off the hook at all hours of the day. We had one phone in the house on a cord (no privacy) and I had a 30 minute a night limit to use it - after I was done with homework.
Don't get me started on the clothes....

Took her to the mall last week - can't believe howmany young kids (14-19....) are walking through the mall with a cell phone to their ear. Used to be you went out of the house so you wouldn't be bothered by anyone calling or dropping by.

Food - she's used to eating out every night - I mean McD's, taco hell, Denny's, etc....
when she spends a few days with us she brings a menu of "homecooked" meals that we make at home. Yes, we enjoy cooking at home, hell I make better steak and Lobster than I can get in a restuarant - plus it turns into a few hours that me and the wife spend together talking and working on dinner together - it turns into an event every night, not just chucking food down your gullet and *****ing about the waitress.

I could go on and on with this thread,
and I'm only 31
I imagine I had it pretty easy compared to some of the "wiser" people on this board.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

You think you had it tough?????
I grew up in the 40's and 50's when there was NO TV, NO such thing as a computer, NO malls, NO fast food, You took your dates to the movies or penny arcade, and worst of all.....trying to get laid was as impossable as snow sking in Death Valley in July.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:17 AM
wilerty

Great thread. I'm 56 and have a son 18 who is a freshman in college. I had high school and college in the 60s ... they were the best of times and the worst of times.

Unfortunately many parents want their kids to "feel good", be their "friend, and want the schools to raise their kids. Parents have to be parents and accept their parental responsibility.

... don't get me started ... think I'll stop here ...

Old 01-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some day the youth of today will be leading this country and deciding what to do with the elderly.
Thats you and me pal.

Quick Reply: OT: Back in my day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.