Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?... >

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Notices

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Old 02-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in case it turns bad at SML, there's always the much larger more pristine lake down in south central VA called John H. Kerr reservoir. Virtually no houses on the shoreline and on occasion you'll see ocean going sized sailboats with room left to spare for the likes of us. No doubt my favorite spot and I've been to SML, Cumberland KY, Dale Hollow TN, Brookville Reservoir IN, and grew up skiing the Little Miami and Ohio Rivers as a kid. Dug the Cumberland 76 falls but otherwise a narrow venue with LOGS!

Hey! A bunch of us should rally up at Kerr and stay at this super campground North Bend Park! There's a million inlets and coves to raft up in and be totally alone without a thousand boat wakes going by. The fun part is vast open bodies of water for some fun,...Am I lying Cignificant?...

Last edited by Reckless32; 02-19-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saddly (sp), SML is becoming the YANKEE retired place?
Can you explain?
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Reckless, Several of us go to buggs Island lake. We camp at County line park. I will let you know when we make a trip down. It will in late Apr. or May.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Gizmo I "used" to go every Memorial, 4th, andf Labor Days with a large group and of course younger kids. The smaller skiing/tubing boat was the mainstays of our patronage. Time has passed and the group has shrank but a few of us still make the run at least once a year. We met Cignificant (Steve) and his gang there last Memorial and Labor days. The may trip was great fun. The Sept trip not so fun, can you say rain?!

Anyway, the fave spot has been North Bend park next to the dam. It's owned by the corp of engineers and very well maintained. Rangers run a tight ship though so after 10pm it's quiet time in the park and discretion is required i.e. loud music/story telling...

I'm not sure where County Line Park is. Is that on the NC side or west towards Clarksville? Either way, keep us hip on your dates...We just may pop out spontaneously for something different to do...
Old 02-20-2003, 06:50 AM
Registered

One suggestion is to just do the HRPA Poker Run in August (Little Creek Regatta and Poker Run to benefit St. Jude's Childrens Hospital) so that you don't have to worry about speed limits. There are none on the Atlantic Ocean so you can go as wild as your boat will let you.

Last edited by Vyper340; 02-20-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Registered

That's a shame. We have similar issues here in KY from time to time. Some people think because my boat is loud, it is dangerous. The real dangers down here are the PWC's and the bass boats... It would be very interesting to know what percentage of boat accidents involved a 70+ mph boat. I would bet a lot of $ it is lower than most would think. I can't remember the last time a performance boat was in an accident around here. The last one I recall was a single boat accident about 3 years ago and it had nothing to do with speed. Guy ran into the dock at night at about 40mph. He survived, but the boat didn't...
Dean
Old 02-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

We're already booked on sites at North Bend for all of Labor Day and Memorial Day. With the rangers cracking down on "comsumption" I'm just going to start drinking earlier and go to bed at 10:00pm.

As for SML, it's a shame this has raised so much controversy. But since the SMLBA seems to be involved I'm hopeful that it won't affect the Poker Run.

Turvell - I still need that information on where to stay!!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

388 Hustler I agree about those bass boats....
Old 02-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Reckless, To get to County line park, go past North Bend, cross the dam. Keep going til you see the sign for the camp ground on the right. There is a country store on the corner.

Steve, Maybe we can all get together down there,sometime. John, Mike, Me and the girls.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RLW,

I am happy to explain. The number of retired people at SML has been increasing drastically, mostly from the North. Perfect example, my fathers neighborhood in just 10 years half our street has become retired people from the north, and this is quickly becoming the standard. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against retired people or northners, I do have something against anyone moving in and wanting to change my home. If they don't like it the way it is, STAY AWAY. I wouldn't dream of moving into another persons neighborhood and tell everyone what to do and we should change to accommodate them. This is a very heated issue with myself and others. I am not targeting Northern Retired people, I am just calling it the way it is.

Will

Quick Reply: Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.