Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?... >

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Notices

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Old 02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Barry, that is one helluva first post. Tell us how you really feel.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, I don't think we have heard the last of Barry.

Barry, Welcome to the board!!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Registered

Kerr Lake is definately a great place to go boating. With over 25 miles of navigable channel and god knows how many miles of shoreline and clean beaches. We keep a small houseboat at Steele Creek Marina and regularly have friends with performance boats on the lake with us. Look for us this summer by hailing us on VHF by calling our boat named Sponge Worthy. Just mention that you are a fellow OSO member. We normally camp a few miles from the dam in some of the nice coves. Regulars at the lake will include a Spectre (Sonny Spectre 30) , a couple Eliminators, a Sonic, a Scarab, Donzi 18 Classics, some jets and V-drives, Fountains, and a few misc Wellcrafts and Bajas.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:23 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will, I feel your pain. We have the same problem up here in the Finger Lakes of NY. Must be a conservative Northern thing. The old bastards have nothing to do but see who they're going to screw next.
Most problems do arise from the drunk fishermen, uneducated Jetskiers, and the bonehead waterskier/water toy user.
No offense taken, I live amongst the NY retirees in the summer.
They can't stand to see someone else have fun because they didn't in life. To tight assed.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

boatfixr
Look for this scene (if you're at least a gold member that is) during your holiday weekend visits to Kerr Reservoir. I may have seen your group pushed up on the shore just south of North Bend to the left with tents on the beach. We like to use the FRS radios for boat to boat chatter on channel-4. We do have the VHF's but normally don't use them unless there's a good reason. What channel do you normally hawk VHF?...

Gizmo:
When I was there last and it pissed rain all Labor Day weekend, I killed tim eby cruising around and I think I may have seen the store and sign as you mentioned. How nice is the campground and can you make reservations or first come first serve? Also, how's the park police for evening festivities?...
Attached Thumbnails Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...-relkins00.jpg  
Old 02-21-2003, 05:50 AM
Registered

Reckless, we monitor 16 for calling or distress and then go to 67,68, or 69 for location or directions. Sometimes the music is loud and we fail to hear the call.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing is happening on the Outer Banks.....Nags Head, Duck, Kitty Hawk. The northerners are moving in and trying to take over. They tried to close down our local water skiing cove to everything except their booze cruisers!! So far the locals have been successful in shutting them down, but for how long?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RLW, and Macklin

It just kills me, I had a neighbor (retired Nthr) tell me we should ban Jet skis after he saw me riding one afternoon. I told him the Jet ski was here long before he was and maybe he should have considered that before he moved in????????/ He got pissed and left. I just don't understand the AUDACITY of someone (anyone) moving to a place and demanding everyone change their lifestyle for them. I hate to say it but I have become very rude to certain neighbors that wish to change SML.

Sounds like you also have similar problems,

WILL

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 02-21-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Curt

Same crap happening at lake Murray. The old buzzards moved in and don't like noise so they are trying like hell to get noise level regulations passed. Half of the lake already has them, now they are going for the rest. So far noone has been ticketed because the wildlife officers and water cops have better things to do with their time. But it's coming. All it will take is one cranky old fart bugging the daylights out of the cops because the sport boat exhaust drowns out the sound of the cricketts and birds that he moved here for.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:14 AM
srpbaer

Gees guys,
You are really making feel lucky...I live on a lake in the mountains of norht east Tennessee. It is not a large lake by some standards, but very lively with parties and cove gatherings. One thing is for sure no retirees give us any problem...heck they are usually the "bad boys" on the lake. I will say bass boaters are the big problem along with the PWC driven by certified idots. We have a 42 sonic and cats and Bajas and a few Donzis as well. Most all of us run with open pipes and loud music. Two good night spots that go to 2am and then we float all night. I guess the "moody" retirees stay out of site for fear us "hill billies" may just shoot their ass. Just my .02 worth
Let's keep this place our little secret!!!!!

Quick Reply: Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.