Like Tree0Likes

Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...

Old 02-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 33' Donzi ZX

boatfixr, maybe we'll see you down there over the summer. We stay near the dam, but sometimes run up to Steeles for gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?...-cig.jpg  
Old 02-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Registered

SML has a noise ordnance! I was running CMI dry pipes and the local game warden sent me a message that he was going to ticket my boat for noise. I was under the impression that if a noise ordace was going to be inforced they would need a DB meeter to take noise levels. I found out the don't need any thing!
A friend received a ticket for noisey pipes. He was running a small block 350 with stock mercruser through tramsom exhaust.
The ranger stuck a stick in the exhaust pipe and told the owner that the exhaust had no baffles. The rules for Virginia said that all exhaust must have baffles. When he went to court he made pictured of the exhaust and told the judge that this boat had been on SML for ten years with the same exhaust and it was stock from the factory, showed pictures of the risers and told the judge that the risers were baffles. The ranger said he didnt know what baffles were and the judge said he didnt kbow what baffles were. The moral of ther story is $125.00 fine for noisey pipes.

The old retired people are trying to put restrictions on noise, speed, Horse power and size of boats.

SML area has some crazy people with strange ideas.
Save the CHICKEN but thats another (NRA) northern retired a$$ story.

Thats my 2cents worth.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:08 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

Engreps,

I had a discussion with Game Warden about the "Baffles" to my under standing from the GW it is just the rubber flaps on the exhaust.

By the way you got to love the Chicken, I didn't even care until the NRA's got invloved,

Will
Old 02-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

My Boats: 95' 32' Sunsation, 500hps

Reckless, The camp grond is real nice. Newly renovated bathhouse, good ramp. No docks at the ramp. camp sites are fairly large. We had 2 tents, a pop-up, a van and a 29' camper on one site last april. You can make reservations for most sites. some sites are reserved almost a year in advance. I'm trying to get a trip organized now for sometime in May.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 33' Donzi ZX

Jay, better make it early May. The 17th is SML and I think the following weekend is Memorial Day.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Thanks Gizmo...

27Fountain, should it get too unbearable up there, the Poker run could be brought to Kerr. They have a special events parking lot and floating dock used mainly by the Bassmaster tournaments. Could make for a huge camping party...

srpbaer
What's the name of this lake where so much unaccosted is had?...
Old 02-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Registered

Fountain 27

Baffles were discribed as a internal part of the exhaust. Go figure out what they mean, they don't know!

The Poker Run is a project of the Smith Mountain Lake Boaters Association. These are the good guys!!

They have been fighting a lot of the crap from the NRA'S

Such as a speed limit.

Marshall was an officer last year, you know he and I wouldn't support any group that was pushing ordances to install nowake bouys in the main channel.

Most of the junk the NRA'S have been trying to pass is completely stupid, just like them trying to bam the chicken.

When the chicken episode was going on the chicken made a couple apperances at Port Side mounted on the trunk of a Pink Cadillac .

What a sight!!!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:24 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

I guess I got the groups mixed up??? Easy mistake. Yea I know Marshall would never support changing anything at the lake except removal of the NRA's My Dad is a member of the one Marshall sent us the Application for couple years ago.

Mroffshore,

I would love to see a bat boat at SML especially with me in it Also we have been organizing, we beat a "special court injunction" last summer for our neighborhood, old farts wanted silence after sundown, yea right.

Will
Old 02-25-2003, 05:45 PM
srpbaer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOffshore
srpbaer, now that's my kind of boating. You seem to understand the best way to handle these people is to simply run them off. You can either sit back and be policed, or you can run the place yourself.

Navigable water is always your best choice...it's typically big, open water where you can get out away from everyone and do your own thing...not to mention there is usually some nice rough water to put through the paces.

I think the offshore powerboaters need to reclaim the waterways when threatened by the morons who think they covet and control what is not theirs. We should ALL plan a trip to this SML and stay within the laws...see how they like dealing with large numbers of people...then send out a flier to all residents in the area that this is just the start of the war...a small battle that today, a war we will win tomorrow. United we stand, divided we fall.

Some local SML need to organize a pilgrimage to the area, we will support our brothers in need, particularly if they share their beer and women!

What do you think those old ****s would do if I brought at caravan of enclosed canopy batboats down to the lake and we all went skiing behind them?
Count me In!!!! By the time we all left tje locals would be happy with what they had prior to our arrival....
We do raise hell on this lake at all hours of the night, and never a problem, hekc the "man" is pretty cool.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Any news on this issue?

BTW, the Poker Run is FULL!!
75 boats, and we be one of 'dem!
http://www.smlba.com/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-30-2003 at 12:13 AM.