GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well said cuda
Old 05-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike...and anyone else who cares to listen(read)...

If I am reading correctly, I think Andy is mostly concerned with the quality and R&D at Cigarette. Many have posted here some personal experiences regarding some of the new boats...with stuff falling apart and with them being unsafe in racing conditions. If you go back to some of the previous threads, you will see who those people are. Anyone with any real concerns about Cigarette should talk to Cigarette owners and take a ride on one...and then form their own opinion.

I think Andy(and myself) would like to see Cigarette on the race course...not for the sake of being there, but to provide some real R&D in real world conditions---worst case scenarios...the average boater isn't going to run his boat the way they do on the race course, but what if they did? Wouldn't Cigarette like to know the handling nuances in theses conditions? This will only make the boats better and safer. I don't want to belabor the point any more, but I think you are also correct about it being blown out of proportion here on OSO. I seriously doubt Skip invested millions in a company to focus on selling T-Shirts...

That being said, I think Cuda summed it up pretty well, because I think it is still all about perception. There are better performing boats out there, but there is only one Cigarette.

...and yeah, I'd buy a new 38 or 42 tomorrow if I could just do a little better down at the track
Old 05-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally posted by cuda

Oh, and by the way, if the legend is dying, would someone please send me one of those corpses? And if that is dying, sure looks like heaven to me!

And I'd like the pirelli floor in the custom coffin. Naca vents allow for good ventilation. An electric door to store my watch so grave robbers don't get it!
Old 05-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From purely an outsiders point of view, I have to say that the ownership of Cigarette might actually be on to something. Selling t-shirts, coozies, etc is a high margin, low overhead venture that can subsidize other areas of the business (racing, etc.). However, one cannot focus purely on that particular side of the business. If your product (boat) does not perform or EXCEED the standard of the industry, you will end up with a warehouse full of unsold t-shirts!!
One cannot and will not exist without the other.
Another critical part in the process is, as we all know, customer service! You can have the aforementioned warehouse full of shirts, and if no one is taking and quickly and efficiently processing the orders, well you know, unsold shirts.
I would enjoy nothing more than personally heading up the customer service, parts, and shipping factions at Cigarette. I feel there is a solid base of people, but HUGE improvements to be made in effiency, follow up, and overall customer satisfaction.

Maybe I should send an application.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Registered

Personally, I don't think the legend is dying, is just needs to complete a healthy reincarnation!
Old 05-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SummerObsession
Personally, I don't think the legend is dying, is just needs to complete a healthy reincarnation!
I think that you have to be dead before you can be reincarnated.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

GOD! ALL boat companies sell shirts!!!!!!!!! They are mostly ugly overdone crap though.

SORRY that Cigarette makes something that people actually would wear!!!

THEY MAKE SHIRTS BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT THEM!! There would be a riot at the boat shows if Cigarette said, "well, we aren't doing the clothing thing anymore."

Nobody wants to dress like Reggie Fountain! Especially your wife or girlfriend.

If all someone can find wrong with Cig is that they are selling a few towels, lines, keychains, and T-shirts, then they are just flapping their gums.

The boats are great, always have been, always will be!
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette the Legend is Dying II-strip-poker-2.jpg  
Old 05-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Lightbulb

And another thing damnit!

Lot's of people can't even afford a boat at all, not just a Cigarette. They go to boat shows to dream and set goals for themselves to work toward.

They CAN afford a ticket to the show though. The CAN afford a $20 T-Shirt too. Is their money not green enough for some? Do others not want their business? Even if it starts out as just a T-shirt? Nope. I've seen so many people get snobbed off by other boat lines by saying, "we sell boats, not t-shirts, go to the mall."

Well you know what, F-CK YOU. When that guy DOES get the money to step into a boat, he damn sure isn't gonna write them a check. Nice salesmanship there A--hole.

A boat manufacturer told this buddy he couldn't afford one of their boats........................he walked down the path and wrote the check for this bad boy. Now he is selling it and thinking Rough Rider....................cry me a river
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette the Legend is Dying II-toon008.jpg  
Old 05-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Wink facts

To start with Skip is an ass! Just ask his vendors. Columbians build Cigarettes not Skip! The boats are awesome even though they come with 0 warranty. I have (2) 38's sitting right here - one missing a swim platform that we paid $ 2800.00 for. It was left off from the factory , ya think I'll ever see the money or swim platform? The legend was built on offshore racing - it is DEAD! If it was not for Tres Martin the legend would of been dead a long time ago. Go buy a new Phantom if you want to save a bundle and out run a Cig! BH
Old 05-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Registered

Brandon...

easy there big fella...yer gonna blow a gasket...

Quick Reply: Cigarette the Legend is Dying II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.