Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp? >

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Notices

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Old 05-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes to 4x4

At the begining of this season, we were working on the Black Thunder and while we were putting her away, we heard another vehicle spinning tires in the grass. It has rained a lot in MD and two guys were going to launch their boat for the first time of the season but could not get it out of the field. We went over to see if we could lend a hand (or a 4x4 truck) as their Ford crew cab dually did not have it. They were very grateful and saved them the time of calling another buddy to help.

We also sometimes use it at the ramp depending on the conditions such as the incline of the ramp or the tide at the time, or, as others have said, put less strain on the vehicle.

It really can come in handy and worth the money!
Old 05-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Re-sell will much higher on the 4x4. I use mine everytime just to keep the strain off the drivetrain.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by steelware
Re-sell will much higher on the 4x4. I use mine everytime just to keep the strain off the drivetrain.
I agree. However, I am thinking very long term here with this truck and that is why I am posting this question. I plan on having this thing a long time.

Unless lottery ticket hits
Old 05-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Registered

4WD - LOW
Old 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

4-WD..LOW........Why put a strain on your truck if you don't have to ?
Old 05-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Tahoe with the automatic 4wd feature. There is no 2-Lo. Rigged a switch on the dash that cuts power to the mechanism that activates the front axle. I now have choice of 2-Lo and 4-Lo. I use 2-Lo to save strain on drive line. 4WD and range can be a bind up problem. If all you are worried about is being stuck throw a winch on the front.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Registered

I have a 29' boat and used to have a 2 wheel drive truck to pull it...90% of the time I didn't have any issues pulling the boat up the ramp, but if the ramp was slippery or if it was low tide then I was screwed...

I now have a 4x4 and never worry about it....
Old 05-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Registered

I've never used it but sometimes I wish I had it. I have been at the local ramp (Blackpoint Marina) at "rush hour" and the ramp gets very wet. Due to my F-150's lack of weight in the rear I have often had to have spectators climb in the bed to get the thing out. I wish I had 4X4. If I towed a bigger vessel than my 25 I would certainly have to upgrade due to my local ramp's condition.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Never needed 4wd on 6,000 lb boat, but with my current 10,000 boat I need 4wd at some ramps. I always use low whether I have the front hubs locked in or not. I only need to come off idle a little to pull out in low.

If you are looking at a bigger boat, go 4wd.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I launch at a real good ramp. Steep enough but not too steep. Usually never a problem. But at LOW tide when your on the slimey part I've see my buddy in his 4dr f350 dually spinning his wheels , rocking back and forth and at 10pm it ain't fun.
I have had to use 4 wheel occasionally on other ramps.
Just like winter...you never need 4 wheel till you need it Cheap insurance , the way I see it

Quick Reply: Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.