Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp? >

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Notices

Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Old 05-14-2003, 07:19 PM
FFO
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had to use it once that was pulling my dad's boat . weight about 16000 pounds. 4x4 low lock . pulled it no problem .I would suggest a 3/4 or 1 ton . I did blow the master cylinder. 1998 z71 .
Old 05-14-2003, 07:33 PM
bayou outlaw

Mike, I have a '01 powerstroke and opted not to get the 4wd. My reason was the same as yours. I was hesitant to spend the extra $$. The truck pulls the boat out of the landing fine most of the time. But, I cannot get it off of the pavement if it rains. The front end is very heavy and just sinks. I like the truck, but wish I had spent the extra money every time I get in it. Do yourself a favor...spend the money, get the 4wd. Then you can park it almost anywhere. Andy

Old 05-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered

The incline is not the problem. However, water it. You will want four-wheel drive on a WET ramp.

Just my two-cents...
Old 05-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

I have a 2 wheel drive and need to get a 4x4. Tommarow is a perfect example why. The ramp at my marina is steep and slippery so I have to go tommorow at hi tide to pull the boat out or I get the 1 wheel peel. That is not always convenient. One option to consider if possible is limited slip rear differential. I am considering an Expedition with a factory tow pckg which will include the limited slip and not the decrease in gas mileage.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

I have a F350 4x4 dually and have never needed to lock it in, I tow a 42 Sonic and have but in at some real bad ramp's. I never spin the tires or feel that I am hard on the truck. If I was getting a new truck I would look hard at a 2x4, they ride nicer to.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Banned

I was just pondering that this evening on my two hour ride back from Ft Myers. I was thinking I don't use it that often, but the times that you do need it, you'd pay anything to have it. Go 4wd, you'll forget the few bucks you saved the first time you get stuck.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:30 PM

Sweetie, you live in Ohio, even if you don't need it on the ramp that day you will still appreciate having the op in winter. Go with it and good luck
Old 05-14-2003, 09:14 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever the wife pulls the boat out, the truck is in 4WD. not that i need it but if the tires spin and fling a friggin" rock at the gel on the boat I would be pissed!!!!

Get the 4WD, if you don't, the first time you need it and don't have it you'll kick yourself.!!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is a 2wd truck really even a truck

just kidding, but seems like yo uguys in ohio got more snow than in the snowbelt of holland, mich this year!!!!

if you don't care about model year, buy an 03 this summer, there will be good deals, inventories are building.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Allan4

Default Not even a qeustion

Luv, you need to go with the 4x4, becuase when you need it...you REALLY need it. Try carting around in a winter like we had this year in a 2wd truck. You will be admitted to the home for the beligerent by November. I'm telling ya....don't even consider not getting the 4wd, for the boat ramp, snow, ice, mud....whatever.

Quick Reply: Ever use 4 whl drive at a ramp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.