Like Tree0Likes

APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

Old 06-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

No doubt racing in the 80s was great, long before poker run boats were bigger and badder than race boats.

Both sides are serving a very tasty version of their own kool aid brew, lets see which one the judge drinks... to wash down all the popcorn he's been eating while reading this.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Damn Rich, what do you have against good ole Orville, eh?
Please don't tell me that you have something against the beer lady, too?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 14-H
Sure: one member, one vote. Some of your neighbors disagree with me as is quite obvious. 14-H.
Is that it? That's all you have? Come one now...how is that going to solve anything? Sounds like a fat, happy monopoly on votes...

What do you propose to do when you no longer have a cash cow to molest? What do you have in mind...let's hear it! What's the plan? What will happen to all the racers, god forbid, if this ends up back in the wrong hands and then there's nothing? And you say that this is best for your members?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Rich,

I guess some humor helps to lighten the mood. I think most people (althought there are alway exceptions) understand that our sport is under attack from many sides. Some choose to do something, others choose to sit by the wayside. OSO is a great venue to inform many who would get their news on this topic months later in POWERBOAT etc. I can deal with teh popcorn alot better than those who simpy post to see their name on a thread and add to the dialogue with misconstrued truths, lies, stories and innuendos. SO, although popcorn does nothing to add to the constructive progression of the conversation here, I guess it helps us keep ourselves in check. Unfortunately, often times things of this nature are controlled by a select few and not the masses for a multitude of reasons.

It would sure be nice if all hp boaters made their voices heard. Unfortunately not many peopel do that. All too often many just sit on the sidelines and complain while others fight. I know becuase I have dealt with it on the snowmobile front, PWC and now performance boats on Lake George.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:38 PM
14-H

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Daze
Is that it? That's all you have? Come one now...how is that going to solve anything? Sounds like a fat, happy monopoly on votes...

What do you propose to do when you no longer have a cash cow to molest? What do you have in mind...let's hear it! What's the plan? What will happen to all the racers, god forbid, if this ends up back in the wrong hands and then there's nothing? And you say that this is best for your members?
Listen, Nick! I'm not going to respond any further to someone who cowardly accuses me of stealing money from the APBA without a shred of evidence to support such an accusation especially when I hold nothing but an unpaid volunteer position such as the SO Chairman's job. So why don't you ask those people who make their living putting on boat races what their motiviation is? Moreover, if you were really concerned, I suppose you would have come to the APBA's Annual Meeting. Did you? 14-H.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:47 PM
TulsaLarry

14-H

The question many of us have is, what are the plans for APBA Offshore if the APBA is successful in pulling the LLC from APBA?
I am sure that your board had a plan in place before making the decision to oust the LLC. We would like to know what that plan looks like and what the racers and fans can expect. What will you be doing different than the current APBA Offshore?

Old 06-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
Personally, I'm sick of both popcorn and popcorn jokes, which do nothing to advance a topic or clarify an issue......enough already.
Talk about Johnny One Note...some of us are in danger of becoming Johnny One Joke.

From my point of view, there are two sides in absolute contrast here. One paints a picture of a good ol' boy network of do nothings, which they have "saved us from" under the new "deck to deck" racing "model". In reality there has been wonderful racing under the APBA banner for decades........ Ron you remember the glory days of Benihana in Point Pleasant?.......

The other side is comprised of people who basically feel betrayed by the former, and are, in some cases, fighting for their racing organization's very existence. This is compounded by the fact that, at present , they apparently have no alternative race series to offer, given the time constraints and circumstances around the legal schedule......... On their side is a growing field of allies, both individual and corporate, who represent "bridges burned", relationships squandered, and simple souls who awoke one day to the reality that the emperor has no clothes.......but no races.

This is a very serious situation......and not one to take lightly, because the simple truth is that all of high performance boating( and racing is part of that) is under siege by all sorts of forces, economic, environmental, risk management, and, of course, litigious.....

and that my friends should cause us to stop "munching" and either contribute, or at the very least......pay attention to the facts presented.

T2x
I imagine that just as soon as some "facts" are presented, people will pay attention. Let me sum up the APBA crisis from a layman's perspective. As I see it, there's basically 3 sides in this issue, the "old school" APBA supporters, the LLC supporters, and the folks caught in the middle.

"Old School" APBA supporters position
  • Racing was better when it was "real" - way offshore in huge water with few spectators
  • Mike Allweiss is the devil incarnate and probably molests collies
  • Lots of unnamed people (and a few named ones) don't like Mike Allweiss, so he should be shown the door
  • Allweiss' Factory class racing is unsafe because there are no canopies
  • Allweiss' Factory class racing puts the APBA in bed with Mercury Marine
  • Allweiss' restrictive classes and rules stifle innovation

LLC's supporters position
  • "Old School" racing was a money losing proposition
  • Factory classes encourage more NASCAR-like, deck-to-deck racing
  • Restrictive rules and classes encourage factories to compete with the promise of a level playing field
  • Inshore racing brings the action closer to the fans
  • There's a small vocal group of grumpy old men that are pissing and moaning about the "good old days"

Caught in the middle fans and racers
  • Can't all you squabbling children STFU so the racers can race, and the fans can watch?!?!?!!?

Far as I can tell, no one in group 1 or group 2 ever has anything new to say, so those of us in group 3 sit back, nibble our popcorn and drink our beer. Oh, and go to a Poker Run or Fun Run instead of going to a race.

There's my free take on it, and it's probably worth exactly what ya paid for it.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

Quote:
TO: APBA Members
FROM: Charles Strang, Ziggy Boettle, Mark Wheeler, Fred Hauenstein, Don Allen, Ernie Dawe, Mike Wienandt, Robin Shane, Howard Anderson and Ed Hearn.
Hey, didn't mean to get you all worked up? But you put yourself in this position...Refer to the above. You're the one posting here...And we seek answers?

Offshore has never held back answering questions, why should you?

Quote:
cowardly accuses me of stealing money from the APBA
Did I do that?...When did I say you stole anything? Freudian slip...You sound troubled that someone would suggest that. Anyway, I simply meant the comfortable position the APBA has been in reaping the benefits of hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.

Quote:
Moreover, if you were really concerned, I suppose you would have come to the APBA's Annual Meeting. Did you?
Nope, Sorry...But I wish I had the time. Don't worry, I'm plenty up to speed.

We're just looking for answers? Answer the questions!
Old 06-20-2003, 04:02 PM
14-H

Default Re: Re: APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

And I was to assume "no longer have a cash cow to molest" means something else?

"...I simply meant the comfortable position the APBA has been in reaping the benefits of hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. "

Well at least we all understand your thoughts about the APBA. No wonder you didn't come to the Annual Meeting. 14-H.

Old 06-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep, no beating around the bush here...Just 100% straightforward, unadulterated honesty. You can take it anyway you see fit.

Anyway, the APBA is like a large ship. It requires a crew to steer it. The APBA is larger than any one person or group of people; It's been around a lot longer than you or I, and will probably be around long after we have gone...I actually have a very fond liking for the APBA...But It needs a better crew.