Like Tree0Likes

APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

Old 06-20-2003, 08:57 PM
x-caliber

Thumbs up ATTENTION T2X!!!!

I have a question. In the "old" days, say late 70's and early 80's, it appeared that RACING OFFSHORE was more of a sport between the wealthy where they raced, no matter what, without black flags and the men were men, and offshore racing earned a reputation unlike anything else. NOW, they claim some kind of NASCAR approach, but nothing ever seems to happen, just a lot of promises and talk, but I do not see anything like NASCAR. In my opinion, even though they are "supposedly" running close to shore, I still cannot tell "who's who" or who is leading or who is in first place. IS THIS JUST ME? Give me the OLD days anytime...I want to see Bennihana, Flap Jack, KAAMA, LongShot and the Bertram 49er batteling it out OFFSHORE!

Old 06-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 22 Hustler

Attached Thumbnails
APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY-benihana.jpg  
Old 06-20-2003, 09:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 22 Hustler

Attached Thumbnails
APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY-betty-cook-1.jpg  
Old 06-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: Pontoon 2002 Crestliner

If and when we decide to race it will be with OPA. The LLC watched us race in 2000 and saw that the P2 class had some problems at a race, before I even had a chance, my wife went to Mike A. and stated the facts, he said " I saw that but can't do anything now" after the race, no radar guns.

I was at NY race race in 2002 to race in a 41 Apache and (we did not run problems)and was there to witness the Bankbeaters protest from the others.

So how going to bring a club together to sanction a fair RACE??
Old 06-20-2003, 09:47 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Old
How can I put this nicely????
I no longer care. You folks have sucked the fun right out of offshore from this fans perspective.

Please add my name to the extensive list of those no longer interested in offshore racing.
Perhaps you would be interested in Poker Running?

Simple common sense rules to follow.

The rules never seem to change.

Run what ya brung.

Who cares how long it takes you to get to the finish, as long as you and your guests had fun doing it.

Get to meet and boat with a bunch of great people.

Poker Runs have fans too. Just look at the card stops that are at marinas and the crowds of people staring in awe at all the performance boats.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
Default 15 hours and counting....

Feel free to respond to my questions any time, Mr. Hearn.

Unless you'd like one of us to fill in the answers for you.....
Old 06-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Registered

My Boats: Pontoon 2002 Crestliner

eMotiondriver, I was a tech inspector and ran plus wrote the rules for Outlaw Class (P-Class) I was at EVERY race in 2000. If there was a problem in a race with P-Class I knew about and it was handled through me, the chief inspector Paul Abreau and chief ref. Mike Tomlinson.

Mike A in 2000 was either roped off and announcing the race or in a helicopter. If you could have EVEN found Mike he would have told you to see me or Mike Tomlinson or Paul Abreau. It is outlined in the RULE BOOK how to take action and protest. Why did you not follow the rules?

It's water under the bridge now but what race and incident are you talking about from 2000? Why won't you post your name? What boat were you running then?
Mike Carter

Mike,

I've been busy and finally read some emails.

Your answer is my boat was P2-69 and my name is Doug Gorenflo.

My wife spoke with Mike A. and he did say look for you guy's and she did but by the time she found the right people for protest you guy's including MA said it too late and blew us off. But then later in the month the APBA took away the pionts from Mouse Trap.

The next APBA race in OC MD sanctioned by APBA they atleast made the boat run in P1 and the other boat ran there as well.

Any questions, Can you hear me Now!!!

Your answer HA!!!

Doug Gorenflo P2-69

And one of the Tech said we had to remove our little smiley faces in the 6 and the 9 at to different positions. AKA to the tech's the Smiley boat when going thru reinspection

Last edited by eMotiondriver; 06-21-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Just a few points from my perspective:

1. This B.S. is the reason I left offshore racing and chose to go poker running. As Sharley said, loads more fun, more serious hardware and far less politics. Just plain FUN! And if your boat breaks, just tell everyone and you still get to participate in someone elses boat!

2. Anyway who is stupid enough to go toe to toe with C_Spray on Indy facts, is a PRIME candidate to have their head examined! C_Spray has reached the pinnacle in Indy racing and is one of the MOST educated and articulate individuals I have ever had the pleasure and honor to call friend.

3. To all that are actually involved; get this nonsense over with. Be honest, be fair and do what is right and all else will fall into place.

4. All that this whole APBA saga is worth is redudancy and entertaining reading on what has been the WORST summer weather wise that I can remember.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Default Re: Some questions, Mr. Hearn et al:

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Spray
1) Why didn't you resolve these issues during the off-season instead of instituting your proceedings after the 2003 season was underway?
2) Do you understand how destructive this timing is to the racers? (If you don't, you need to "volunteer" for something else.)
3) Suppose all the Offshore racers did as you bid, and had refused to attend the last few LLC races? What would you have done for them over the last two months? Where are your race venues, your sponsors, your safety crews, your prize money structures?
4) If the SeaTac plan was voted in and agreed upon, and someone was instructed to modify the bylaws accordingly, why weren't those bylaw changes accomplished?
5) Why does someone from your sponsors company sit on your board?
6) How do you account for the complete and total lack of support for your actions by the offshore racers themselves?

As a fan (your ultimate customer), I anxiously await your response, sir.

Chuck Sprague
25 hours and counting....

7) Mr. Hearn, who voted for the following two men who run APBA without input from anyone:
President = Steve Hearn; Chairman = Charlie Strang (For life no less!!!)
The answer is no one.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Thumbs down 52 hours and no response to my questions...

The silence, all by itself, speaks volumes.......