Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY >

APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

Notices

APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

Old 06-23-2003, 10:21 AM
jackson_staley

I would also agree with T2XX. How many of the spectators would be there if they had to pay to view the race. This is for all the different types of boat racing not just offshore racing. Very few I would think. However I do think that bringing the racing closer to the beach, river, lake, viewing area, paid or not is the way to go. The sponsors are trying to create impressions of their product and paid or free, that's what they are looking for.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2x,

You obviously haven't seen "One-eye"!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a good way to attract new fans is to have an event and attach the race to it. Kissimmee Fl is a very small town and they have their annual Spring Fling wich is like a fair. It seems like the whole towns comes out for it. They start by coming to the fair and a race breaks out. Before you know it people become fans.
Find a reason to get them to the site other than the race and you'll start grabbing new fans.
It may sound idiotic, but if you turn the pits into a fair people who otherwise would have no interestr will show up. Some will become fans, its inevitable.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally posted by sharkeymarine
Does T2x drive a CORVETTE?
Old 06-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally posted by ScottB
I think a good way to attract new fans is to have an event and attach the race to it. Kissimmee Fl is a very small town and they have their annual Spring Fling wich is like a fair. It seems like the whole towns comes out for it. They start by coming to the fair and a race breaks out. Before you know it people become fans.
Find a reason to get them to the site other than the race and you'll start grabbing new fans.
It may sound idiotic, but if you turn the pits into a fair people who otherwise would have no interestr will show up. Some will become fans, its inevitable.
Scott,

You need to come to most of the OPC races that is how we plan most of our races is around another festival so we have a chance to attract as many people as possible to our events.

Grin
Old 06-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Oh, don't forget the local sponsor (town) has to pay APBA 100K to bring the race to town. Thats the first and biggest obstacle.

Or just realize what this sport is. A hobby for racers to have fun at, and not a lot more.

To us, this is the greatest sport on earth. To others, they could care less. I'm not sure this will ever change.

At our Point Pleasant race site, we usually get about 5000 people to come out and watch the race as long as it's a nice day. Even that many aren't enough to make a sponsor drool.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:53 AM
14-H

Post Re: Some questions, Mr. Hearn et al:

Mr. Sprague: My response is following. Sorry it took so long. I was working on racing engines. I'm sure you understand. 14-H.

1) Why didn't you resolve these issues during the off-season instead of instituting your proceedings after the 2003 season was underway?

Firstly, I'm the Stock Outboard Chairman and have never raced an offshore boat nor served on the the APBA BOD. So rather than directing this question to me, you might direct it to Mr. Michael Jones, former APBA President/Chairman of the Board and Mr. Allweiss. Nevertheless, I'll take the bait: I did! I cared enough for the APBA to go to the Annual Meeting and ask that the membership of the APBA decide (the APBA is a membership corporation). Nevertheless, this is apparently not good enough for some and these proceedings became necessary.

2) Do you understand how destructive this timing is to the racers? (If you don't, you need to "volunteer" for something else.)

I agree that it is. Talk to the leadership of Offshore. All of this could have been avoided.

3) Suppose all the Offshore racers did as you bid, and had refused to attend the last few LLC races? What would you have done for them over the last two months? Where are your race venues, your sponsors, your safety crews, your prize money structures?

I have never advocated boycotting any races. Indeed, I myself have attended races sanctioned by APBA's competitors. Moreover, the Judge in NY as ordered a "status quo". So this is not possible right now.

4) If the SeaTac plan was voted in and agreed upon, and someone was instructed to modify the bylaws accordingly, why weren't those bylaw changes accomplished?

This question should be directed to former President Jones. He was in charge until October 31, 2002. I have no idea why bylaws were not adopted, but there is no question that they were not.

5) Why does someone from your sponsors company sit on your board?

My only sponsor is my wife's checking account. I have no idea what you are talking about here. However, in this vein of thought, what do you think about Mr. Allweiss sitting on the APBA BOD when the APBA and Offshore LLC have a contract? Kind-of like having Tony George as the Chairman of 7-Eleven's Board isn't it?

6) How do you account for the complete and total lack of support for your actions by the offshore racers themselves?

I do not know this to be the case. I would think that offshore racers who are also APBA members would want this matter resolved finally and that is what we have asked the Court to do. APBA is a membership corporation and every member has a vote. SeaTac attempted to hand-strap this concept and remove the APBA BOD from direct accountability from the members. It is this democratic process that I believe should be preserved. If you are correct about the numbers, here, there are options. Seems to me that I remember a few posts on this NG recently about Offshore racers wanting to be able to determine class rules.

No one is trying to prevent Mr. Allweiss from running Offshore races, despite the claims being made. Moreover, I will point out, our lawsuit does not ask for damages to be awarded to anyone unlike the lawsuit filed in Florida at Mr. Allweiss' direction. We have asked the Judge in NY to decide what is lawful. I would be surprised that anyone who has APBA's best interest in mind would oppose such a request.

Please don't forget: APBA has many categories including Offshore. Two of those categories (Inboard and SO) each have membership and event numbers that exceed that of Offshore's. What is best for the APBA is to promote all aspects of racing for the members' benefit and not necessarily one group of membership.

Sorry again, for the delay. And just a minor point, I did not even turn my computer on yesterday. 14-H.

Old 06-23-2003, 12:17 PM
14-H

Question Re: Indiana Roots

Mr. Sprague: Are you also a Boilermaker? 14-H.

Old 06-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the answers - very infomative.

Yes - BSIE 1976.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:18 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks 14-H .... Your answers were clear and to the point, and I, for one, applaud the total absence of "spin" or "merchandizing" in your content....straight, simple and to the point, without rancor or demonizing.

I pray that other respondents to this thread take note of this tone....and follow it.

T2x

Quick Reply: APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.