Changing All Around Light Location >

Changing All Around Light Location

Notices

Changing All Around Light Location

Old 07-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Formula it plugs into a socket mounted on the windshield frame and is about three feet above my head when standing. It's a two part light. The forward facing lamp is on with the running lights while the aft facing and forward comes on as an anchor light. There's a light mounted in the transom for the aft running light.
It does cast a erie glow forward when running but other than that it's not a problem.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Jeff

the one in front is an anchor light. Turn it off when running. All you need is the white transom light on the back of the boat here in FL. Hence, Scarab made in Bradenton Fl. On my open fisherman I have the white light mounted on the back of one of my outboard lift off covers.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a two part light on my bow, and it does not really effect night vision. The 360 deg. rule is taken care of by a light in the middle of the transom. Which is also nice to light up the platform, just incase anyone needs to relieve themselves in the middle of the night.(Not that anyone does that in Oklahoma!)
Old 07-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is on the deck too and used to blind me. Now it's 6' tall, no longer an issue.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ChrisK
I cant see how that would be an issue... Mine is already in the back... Scarab is actually one of the only boats that I have seen with it in the front like that.
My 86 Formula has the lights on the windshield also. For your running lights the front light on the windshield pole is on and the light on the transom is also on. For anchoring the only light on is the windshield pole but then both lights on the windshield pole (front and rear) are on...I have been wanting to fix this also.....

BH
Old 07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally posted by WARPARTY36
I have a two part light on my bow, and it does not really effect night vision. The 360 deg. rule is taken care of by a light in the middle of the transom. Which is also nice to light up the platform, just incase anyone needs to relieve themselves in the middle of the night.(Not that anyone does that in Oklahoma!)
Ok so where can I get a 6' two part light pole and base?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My BAJA has the white light in front of the windshield but is only 135 degree. The stern has a light. When at anchor the front light goes to 360. The 135 still messes with your night vision. I bought a 360 light for my kids boat that is very directional, the light comes out in a pancake shape. This casts a beam around you but not on you. Check Ellett Brothers for this type of light. You do need to make sure you get the correct bend so it is parallel at plane or split the difference between on plane and at rest. I have considered using a LED type light temporarily mounted to the antenna for anchoring. The LED lights consume very little current. Whatever you do be sure you can be seen!
Old 07-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The rule changes at about 32 or so feet as to what you need to have for running lights last time I looked. I know you definatly need a 360 degree white light. That is the only way that other boats can tell what direction you are traveling in (by seeing the white light in relation to your grean or red bow light)

I did remove my light over the windshield and went with the stern light, and find it to be MUCH better.

Jon
Old 07-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally posted by eyezlee
Ok so where can I get a 6' two part light pole and base?
Got to West Marine and buy a piece of alum tubing. Then drill the rivits out of the old light and base and install them into the new tubing. Took about 15 minutes to complete.