Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat speeds w/ this power ?? >

Boat speeds w/ this power ??

Notices

Boat speeds w/ this power ??

Old 12-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, last night I went home and scrounged through my pile of P.B. magazines, and yes the speeds are kinda high... I found several issues with many of the the boats I would be interested in.. Seems most of these boat have a little left in them w/ some labbing and such but 90% of them need an hp 500 to get to 70. Fastest boats w/ 496 H.O.'s are probably the warlock, velocity, howard and hallett.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:56 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw an ad in our Florida Boat trader from Initial Marine (Velocity). Apparently they have some repo's available.. You may want to call them and find out what they have for you.
Only problem.....I doubt they'd take your B on trade...
Velocity boats are usually shorter than others, so go right to the 280 or VR1 and skip the 260...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 12-18-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

Mike,, those boats you mentioned are always a consideration, they are all very good performers. I think we will be taking our time and finding the right boat w/ hp 500.

Considering the mild 375 hp 496 the baja 275 got a VERY strong reviews... she has even more w/ an H.O.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

80 with a 525 in a Heat????????????

That's amazing, I can run low to mid 80's (GPS) with close to 800hp....
That 525 is just amazing
Old 12-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Speeds to power boaters are like fish stories to fisherman...most of them BS. I had no problem telling people my boat did 67-68 because I know that similar powered boats wouldn't be any faster and some not as stable. Like it has been said before, make sure you get into each boat you are considering, you'll be surprised how some of your visions are shattered once you see the boat in person. I was in some of the boats that Fever Mike came up with and was shocked when I acutally saw them (for the worse). This doesn't mean they are bad boats, they just wern't for me. People who own a brand will swear by it becuase they believe in it so much, I've also known people who swear by their current boat but secretly want to unload it. You're going to make a big investment and there is nothing worse than wanting another boat after the illusion of your present one wears off. It'll take a lot of time and some travel to see each product, but it's worth it in the end. I went as far as FL (I live in CT) to see boats that were under consideration. Be true to yourself and not anybody else and you'll wind up with the right product. Good luck.

Oh...and one other thing, speed is important, but not the only factor, if it is, don't waste your time, buy a cat. The trade off for 1 mph for other features is worth it. I'll guarantee those speeds posted are under optimal conditions. on a 90 degree day with high humidity, they'll be nowhere near those speeds and that's when the other factors/amenities come into play. If somebody tells you otherwise, their full of it and run away.

Last edited by Indy; 12-18-2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:30 AM
mlitefan

The other thing to think about is you can always make any boat go faster $$. If it doesn't handle or if isn't well built, the cabin isn't the size you like, etc, you are stuck.

I would also question speeds posted in the mag tests. They can vary 2~5 mph from test to test.

Like was mentioned, take your GPS on any test run to see what it is really doing. As was told to me by another member, look at them all and go with the one you feel the best about. THAT is what will make you happy.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Eternal Warrior

Indy and mlitefan, I totally agree. You need to pick one that fits you best.

I believe you can't really go wrong with construction quality on any of the boats that have been listed.

Old 12-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Indy, who doesn't post speeds under optimal conditions, I guarantee your 68 was down hill as well.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Registered

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/Pr...ance_sport.htm
Old 12-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally posted by Nordic Gary
Indy, who doesn't post speeds under optimal conditions, I guarantee your 68 was down hill as well.
Absolutely, and I was up front about it also when selling my boat. Too much BS goes on with boat speeds, Fever Mike is very close if not right on with his estimates. My issue with your 80 mph quote is that it seems a little too optomistic to me given my performance with 425hp. A good friend of mine has a 2001 Heat with well over 600hp (blown 540) and he is bouncing on 80-82. Another friend with the same boat with the Merc 575 can't get over 78, and that's with many different prop & spacer combinations (downhill too). Like I said, a hot day, some humidity, cooler, these boats are nowhere near these speeds.

Quick Reply: Boat speeds w/ this power ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.