Like Tree5Likes

OSO in the News

Old 12-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Old
It's flattering to be mentioned in the same post with some great names in the marine industry and long time forum members who have contributed so much to Offshore Only.

But the truth is I could name a hundred or so more worthy guys. But I'd be damn hard pressed to name only three.

When I think about the past three years of hanging around OSO, I realize I have taken much more than I could ever give.

Where else could the average guy from backwater South Carolina, talk to industry legends who have designed and built the boats I love? Guys like Bob Saccenti, George Linder, Rich Luhrs, Alan Brown, Craig Barrie, Eric Froberg, The Nunez Family Drew Corn and the hundred or so others I'm forgetting?

Where else would I have had the opportunity to meet and discuss racing issues with the president of the APBA or other race officials?

I've had help building motors, buying boats, selling boats and you name it. If you need anything related to a performance boat, you can find it here.

I've loved boats since the day I walked into a boat dealership with my father in 1956 and we bought a new 14 ft Speed Queen. I was five years old and whatever boating did to me, it continues to do it.

Over the past three years, I've learned more about boats than I had in my previous 40 some odd years of being around them. And that's a testament to Offshore Only and the quality of people that frequent the site and freely share their time and knowledge.

How could I ever repay that?

Fred, you repay that on basically a daily basis. You have helped me to no end, even teaching me how to post a picture. I cannot even imagine how many of us you have helped. I look forward to reading every single post of yours. Yes, I agree with you about "where else could we"? However, it appears pretty solid that all of us do recoginize you as "our Ambassador". You've earned it. Case closed.....Russ
Old 12-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Scout 222 Sportfish

No particular order

1) Too Old

2) Jo at Pantera boats

3) T2X

I think the best thread may have been T2X's first post (I think it was his first). It was basically a summary of the entire industry and it was hillarious. It was a helluva way to start
Old 12-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Scout 222 Sportfish

Here is the thread I referenced above

Moments in history
Old 12-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

My Boats: 1991 34' Super Hawaii

This should be a great article. I don't see how it could be narrowed down to 3 people to list.
Because of OSO I've got to meet and talk at length with people like Bob Saccenti, Eric Froberg and Steve David.
If I am scanning a thread and I see one of these names, I'll read it every time. Although, I would have to add these to my list must read OSOers Troutly, AudioFN and PhantomChaos.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I asked you to mention only three, but the article will mention 10 of the most notible characters on OSO.

You assistance has been wonderful so far.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Man tough one. I am flatered to be mentioned. I think that there are a few that deserve mention. I remember back when it all got started Me, Waterfoul, and a few others sat there and just made converation so that when people came back there was always something new to read. Foul and I had writen Email about the importance of that. TooOld keeps the board on a even keel and his projects are always of interest and TOP notch. T2x has always shared some GREAT history that is always good to read. Troutly keeps me laughing and created the "Toutly " Nort with his Photo shop and the Photo shop wars and movies. BG1 for making it all happen, and BG2 for taking it to the next level. SpeedGirl and BlongCigChick as the original women of the site

Jon
Old 12-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Thanks Fred, I already covered Dan L without going into to much detail.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Registered

My vote is for T2x, because his threads on V-bottom and Cat history really opened our eyes, not only to the history, but to the real power of the forum.

The forum is kind of like TV, you have to admit there's a lot of bad, silly, trashy stuff, even reruns of the same topics over and over... but sometimes the content is so good it pulls us together and elevates us to a higher level than would have been possible without it.

There's something else the forum does. It creates a community in which new ideas can be thrashed with expert input in short order. It's a think tank or brain trust if you will, providing encouragement from like-minded individuals, and even guinea pigs willing to test the idea/prototype. Sometimes these ideas become reality, and I don't believe that would have been possible without OSO.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:04 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

My Boats: 27' Scarab

yeah i thinki can put in my vote for t2x

rich really does know his **** and he orgaznized one of the coolest events in performance boating SKATERFEST!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 03:05 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

My Boats: 27' Scarab

oh and osoSteve, damn you got a cute girlie