Notices

GPS Question

Old 01-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

there is a very small ripplle from stator type/non battery sleds. Not enough to damage anything unless you happen to blow out your headlight then it may send a spike. I had one of the original GPSIII's wired to my Ski-doo Mach-Z never had any problems with it. I even had a headlight/tail light cutout switch wired in and it still worked great. It only once shut off on its own when i rolled the sled after hitting a jump the wrong way.....but that was probably due to the bouncing!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ofshore
I do have a battery and the reason I want to go to that is so that I have power when stopped, thats when your usually trying to figure were you are, otherwise its full throttle ahead. Most guy's are going to the accessory wires or even the hand warmers for power (not sure what they do with the Hi/Low switch)

Shane
Im not going to be able to make it but Ill give you a call.

GLH
I would wire up an Epirb in the case of a missing bottle and its Tequila for me, Ive seen bad things happen to guy's on that 151

Wally
How does your display hold up? Ive seen guys hooking up thumb warmers and even a heated silica film over the display.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Tantrum.....i actually had some problems with the cold and the GPS's reaction times on the display.....the colder it got the slower it reacted. What i usually did was take it inside with me everytime we stopped or kept it warm inside my jacket. My Mach had the tall windshield so that helped quite a bit in keeping it working right for a longer period of time. At the end before i sold the sled i was thinking about cutting a hole in the hood behind the windshiled to let some of the warm engine air flow behind the unit.....may even install a small computer fan to help it flow....never got that far though.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

My e-map does need a tiny transformer. Call Garmin up. They are very helpful. When they couldn't get me the correct cable, they were even able to recommend a aftermarket supplier.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Registered

I went to the website to check out that voltage rating.
A range of 10 - 32 volts is real wide. I'm sure that's with using their power cable which probably has the regulator built in. If you hook it up to your sled, as long as you have a battery, and there's a regulator in the power cable, you should have no problems. The regulator circut has it's own filtering built in. If it didn't excessive power line noise would cause the regulator to go nuts. Plus, solid state regulators by design usually have excellent ripple rejection on their output. (I build lots of power supplies).

Paul
Old 01-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Does anybody know if there is some small heater pad that could be used to keep the GPS warm?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12v is fine I have had garmin products for years there is only a few models that will not support 12v
the online manuals will tell you if yours is or not
But being a previous owner of that model it will work fine
you might need a noise filter same as car stereo power filter if your really putting this on a SNOWMOBILE