Notices

bunks on boat trailers

Old 02-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
Did you notice the notched transom on Trouty's boat?
You know, I missed that.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Registered

I recall that grid stringer setup from the factory tour a few years ago. Pretty amazing that it is actually suspended 1/4 inch above the hull, and then fiberglassed to it. That must have caused Scott Adams and the engineers many long hours to design and test.

I've also met the family from IL that owns Prestige Trailers, and they are proud of their product, and work hard to build high quality, yet affordable trailers. But, from your picture, they do their bunks differently at the transom than most other high quality builders for offshore boats. Prestige builds more trailers for runabouts, and I THINK the trailers for big offshore boats is a new direction for them. It could be they come at trailer design from a different perspective, without the "baggage" of the Mannings, Mycos, etc. who built trailers for offshore boats from decades ago. Or it could be there is a good reason not to use keel bunks at the transom. I'd really like some trailer builders to start weighing in here.

BTW: Guys, it looks like it might be a while before you can ride in my new 382, but I'm still working on Troutly and his deformed blob of resin that wouldn't even be good enough for Cuban refuges
Old 02-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

I don't think you are missing anything here. My comments about your "disformed boat" are in jest.... jest cause I envy your boat. But, you do have one of one boat trailers I've seen sofar for a big offshore with keel bunks at the transom. If you look closley at the picture in post one, you'll see the keel bunks stop several feet in front of the transom, and the outer bunks are all that support the back of the boat. Most trailer mnf do it that way, and I wondered why. Prestigue does not, and I wonder why they don't. There have been interesting ideas posted, but not from any trailer mfg's yet.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys have any questions on manufacturers bunk placement for specific boats, please give me a call at Myco Trailers.

941-748-2397

Thanks
Bill Tweedie
Old 02-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Registered

Bill:

Thank you for your offer. You just got a phone msg.

I feel honored that you made Dude's first post on this thread.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Registered

Just got off the phone with Bill Tweedie of Myco Trailers. He was very generous with his time, and offered to help any OSOer with trailer or bunk questions. I hope he knows what he just offered!

Disclaimers:
- I'm paraphrasing our conversation
- and speaking in general about deep vee trailers for offshore boats. Myco builds custom trailers, and works closely with many boat manufactures' engineering departments for ideal placement of bunks on each model and year.
- Any mistakes or inaccuracies are probably my fault

Myco does not use keel bunks at the transom because pickups, speedo foots, etc. tend to be in this area, and bunks can tear them off. Most boats are incredibly strong around the transom, and are well supported by double bunks near the strakes. If a boat mfg specifies keel bunks to the transom, then Myco would do it that way, but few require it.

Now, don't tell Troutly it was that simple, because I'm still working on his 382.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Default Original Post

CHART, Sounds like you quoted Bill Correctly. IN the original post photo, the bunks are under the engine / mounts. Cigarette, for example uses a pitot tube pick up on the transom that has to be considered for clearance.

As Bill told you, the manufacturers are very helpful in providing hull specs to ensure proper hull support. Specs include hull step, balance and sling points.

There are many ways to set up the bunks to the hulls. Generally, most trailer manufatcurers will work with the factory to verify and ensure proper support / balance whether it is a fixed bunk system or an adjustable bunk system.
since there are no aluminum trailer photo's to reference with adjustable bunks - this is an adjustable bunk system for a 40 outlaw which can be adjusted to also fit a non-step 38 Top Gun.
Attached Thumbnails bunks on boat trailers-led-lights.jpg  
Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Ttt
Old 05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered

If you ever see an old boat with a "hooked" bottom it was probably stored and towed on a badly built trailer or one with those rollers. Worst way in the world to ruin a nice boat is not having a trailer engineered for a specific hull...
Old 05-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Is there a concern about the strakes sitting on bunks. I am trying to tweak out a trailer on 31' boat that the bank had just sat on a new aluminum trailer without proper adjustment. The rep from the tailer distributor stated that the keel support bunks should not carry any weight and are meant to be guides. I think i will have to move the main beams in in order to raise the boat so the keel will clear the cross supports near the tongue. Im trying to balance the weight across the 3 axles. Thanks for any feedback.