Notices

Finally a good PFD

Old 02-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impact is as important as buoyancy, if not more so. You can't swim so well with broken ribs...
Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt Just ordered two!!!

Last edited by dyno; 02-18-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No LL's are not CG approved. Apparently, they don't want to cough up some admittedly serious dough for the approval.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DoTheMath
Impact is as important as buoyancy, if not more so. You can't swim so well with broken ribs...
Impact ratings DO NOT indicate protection. They simply mean that the vest will still likely be on you after you slow down. You may be bruised and broken, but the vest will still be there. There are impact rated inflatables since they have real nice harnesses, but will not protect you at all. Most impact rated jackets are sturdy enough to give some protection but don't depend on that rating.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 AM
BK
Registered

IMPACT::
Ted is correct. The 100mph rating has nothing to do with bodily impact. It only means the materials the jacket is made of will not shred at 100mph.

So, with these non-impact material vests, your ribs and heart are unprotected should you get slammed into the dashboard or sides.

WATER:: And hitting the water that fast can be just as cruel. I know a guy who was thrown out and hit the water on his back at just over 100 mph. His aorta burst - he died on impact - and it was just water.

The racing Lifelines have ballistic material covering your back as well as over your chest.

UNCONSCIOUS::
Will your jacket float you face-up if you are knocked out for a few minutes? (Being knocked out is very common with a sudden impact above 80mph)
The racing Lifelines are designed to ROLL you over if you land face down in the water. Many lives have been saved from this single characteristic.
That feature is worth $400 alone, IMO.

The Lifelines are not CG rated. But you can shove some cheapo $10 PFDs under the seats and be fine with the water patrol.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so that is good info, and here I thought it was for protection upon impact...

Anyway, the LL vest is great, and it will turn you over in the water... BUT, if it's not CG approved I wouldn't be too happy to spend $400 to still get a ticket. I agree that the vest needs to float you upright in the event that you go over and get knocked out, floating face down is NO good. So, DYNO - once you get yours, go jump in the water and let us know what happens, from the looks of it, you should go belly-up and float facing the sky. And if so, for $79 - that is a hell of a deal, with the 100mph rating and all. The fact that we are even having this discussion is a good thing, I know I have been guilty of exceeding "reasonable speeds", in rough water and not using the lanyard or a vest, we all should be better about that... I used to ride without a helmet too, then I went over the bars at 50mph (wearing a helmet thank god), otherwise I'd be dead! A vest maybe thought of as awkward or "goofy looking" but we'd look really goofy - dead.

Just my .02
Old 02-19-2004, 10:55 AM
BK
Registered

Why would you get a ticket?

If you have some of these under the seat cushions, you won't get ticketed:

$5.99 from Overton's

Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Why won't Lifeline do what it takes to get them CG certified??? There is something we are not being told here.

That's kinda like buying a $450K Cigarette, they drill the whole for the bilge plug, and leave off the whole assembly at delivery.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
BK
Registered

I want to make a correction to what I posted. Putting the CG PFD's under seat cushions is probably a bad idea. The CG says the can't be stowed in "closed compartments."

Put them in a readily accessible place, according to the CG rules:

"Each PFD must be in good condition, the proper size for the intended wearer, and very importantly, must be readily accessible! Readily accessible means you must be able to put the PFD on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (boat sinking, on fire, etc.). PFDs should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them. "
Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 AM
BK
Registered

Originally posted by Sydwayz
Why won't Lifeline do what it takes to get them CG certified??? There is something we are not being told here.

From what I understand, if LL complies with CG standards, then the racing jacket will have to be compromised.

After decades of building these jackets, they know what works to prevent high speed boating injuries, and don't want to change anything just to get a label.

Besides, if you can put a cheapo $5.99 jacket on board and be in compliance, then there's really not a big problem anyway. All of our friends who wear these Lifeline's during high speed runs keep some of these inferior jackets on board, just like we do.

Quick Reply: Finally a good PFD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.