Notices

Document a boat

Old 04-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We documented ours...saved big on taxes...and in AZ we don't have to do the state reg or any stickers...true about getting stopped w/out the numbers...definitely worth it..no renewal fees either, just mailed our in today for the next year...
We originally went through Lake Ozark Marine Documentation and Titling Services...(636)899-1575...Great service
Or call direct National Vessel Documentation Center
(800)799-8362 or (304)271-2400
Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by stevebaretta
tflb, Can you do that?????????
Yes.

I will document using Morgan County Mo because I tell them that, that is where I boat most of the year. I do not have to have an address in Mo either. Because I am a Kansas resident I have to tag my trailer in KS. The hailing port is even Shawnee, KS.

Ks charges annual property tax, Mo doesn't. In leu of sales tax and property tax in Mo I will pay $678.50 then I think $5.00 a year to keep the documentation with the coasties then I believe $28.00 every three years to MO (but not sure). Also when you document you are actually regisering a mortgage with the Coast Guard so your loans interest is tax deductible.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Charter Member #1015
Charter Member

Damn!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Scott Morehead

My boat is documented and it took about 4 mos last year. I too have had the problem with being pulled over because of not havin the registration numbers on the hull. After showing the documentation papers was no problem.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Document a boat

Brian (TannedFat) When I was starting my documentation they asked me if I wanted to do it in Kansas or Missouri. I asked which is cheaper?? She told me that Kansas was because the fee was something like $300.00 instead of $500.00. She didn't mention anything at all about the annual poperty tax in either state!! So I wen't with Kansas!! If this is the case, I'M PISSED!!!! I'm calling them right now!!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

She just said that Property tax in Missouri is a county assessment, so each county would be different. Here in Wyandotte County in Kansas they really started to crack down on this kind of thing and want you to register everything including garden tractors, small trailer's of all types, etc.

I'm glad I moved to Leavenworth County where supposedly they aren't as strict......
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Get place in NH. No sales tax. Adds up fast in some states.

BTW On the documentation you can pick any home port you want no matter where you boat or which state the boat is registered.

Our boat is registered in NH and the only registration marks are the Name and Marco Island , FL has the home port. In NH all you need if it is CG documented is to put the yearly sticker not the hull number.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In my state you don't pay sales tax on a used boat. Doesn't matter how much it cost, or what state it came from. As long as the boat has been licensed prior to the purchase there is no sales tax. You could spend a million dollars on it and still not pay one cent in sales tax.

Here's the good part. Boat and trailer cost about $60 for a three year tag.

Documenting one wouldn't pay off for me.

Buck
Old 05-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Registered

One of the least expensive and easiest places to register boat I Alabama--and Gulf Shores/Orange Beahc isn't a bad place to have a domicile. Flroida though is great tax, ex--,and Bankruptcy haven

Poorsche