Like Tree0Likes

LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

Reply
Old 06-09-2004, 03:48 PM
  #51
Registered
 
IDRPSTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In your driveway while you sleep
My Boats: Whatever you missed your payment on
Posts: 1,759
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

I was waiting for that!
Other than the boat needing to be cleaned up a bit, how was it? Did it run well, was it what you wanted other than the dirt on the outside. It sounds like it was a case of bad timing on boat parts. Big Deal! If the boat ran well and you did in fact sea trail it, put a complete detail and new set of batteries into the contract and congratulations. $200K is alot for anyone to spend on a boat. But remember, you went to FL to by a boat, not get wine'ed and Dine'ed. Randy has always been polite and informative when I have called for clients on the West Coast. He has sent additional pics and even let me know when a boat is not in the greatest condition. It is too bad about you not getting to meet him in person when you went down, did you know he was not going to be there?
IDRPSTF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
  #52
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Can't remember.
Posts: 3,684
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
I was waiting for that!
Other than the boat needing to be cleaned up a bit, how was it? Did it run well, was it what you wanted other than the dirt on the outside. It sounds like it was a case of bad timing on boat parts. Big Deal! If the boat ran well and you did in fact sea trail it, put a complete detail and new set of batteries into the contract and congratulations. $200K is alot for anyone to spend on a boat. But remember, you went to FL to by a boat, not get wine'ed and Dine'ed. Randy has always been polite and informative when I have called for clients on the West Coast. He has sent additional pics and even let me know when a boat is not in the greatest condition. It is too bad about you not getting to meet him in person when you went down, did you know he was not going to be there?
I got passed the boat being dirty.i didn't even get to water test the boat it never left the warehouse.wasn't looking to get wine'ed & dine'ed just wanted a sea trial on the boat i wanted to buy.he wasn't going to be there he had it set up to be sea trial from one of his people that was fine with me. i would of left a check for the boat after i sea trialed it paid balance when it was delivered which was already set up.that didn't happen.your forgetten about the owner who hired the dealer to sale his boat guess what job wasn't done.
docmanrich37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:39 PM
  #53
Registered
 
Tonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,782
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

Wanna buy an APACHE? I can hook you up with my Broker down here (I'm currently in S. Fl.) Totally honest guy and the boat would be waxed and water ready. You would need to come up with 10% for the sea-trial though, but no bull****.

Robert

Oh yeah, if this goes on, I'm getting the Dumb & Diet Coke out, forget the popcorn!
Tonto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:53 PM
  #54
Registered
 
IDRPSTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In your driveway while you sleep
My Boats: Whatever you missed your payment on
Posts: 1,759
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

Why didnt you Sea Trial it?
You said you spent $2000.00 to get to the boat, why not Sea Trial the thing? Batteries can be jumped or replaced in under an hour.
IDRPSTF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:55 PM
  #55
Registered
 
Jonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Puerto Vallarta Mx, Lake tahoe Ca,
My Boats: motor sports boats bikes
Posts: 1,331
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

this issue is typical i thnk of what is see in part time realtors that wants to make some bucks as a weekend warrior. then the weekend comes and they dont want to give up weekend. so u choose..
i guess if are only buying a 200k house u can wait but if u want a 800k + house i will be there.. thats crap..i have found in my business as i am sure the boat business is the same, i bought 35k boat 4yrs ago 95k boat 2.5 yrs ago and 3 mo ago 170k+, but we make choices who we deal with thats the beauty of free enterprise... u can go anywhere and buy from whoever u want and competition will keep everyone honest. if u get hosed one way or another u go somewhere else next time,,
maybe that is why i am busy as **** and some folks are *****in about how slow it is.
when any market cycles whether real estate mortgages or boats (they are all cyclical) the ones that have the built in base of clients will win. case and point: treat people the way u want to be treated.
if i am spending 200k on a boat i dont expect wine and food i expect service.. big time.. no bs just good customer service.
when we had our motorcycle business i went out of my way as i do in the mortgage industry now, to ensure everyone was happy and felt appreciated, and i would get repeat business and customers would tell a freind.
i have a big mouth and we all now alot of people whether good or bad it will be known sooner or later,, and a referall is the easiest client to sell to as u dont have to build the trust bridge its already done...
wouldnt it be the same in the boat industry???
anyone remember the grocery store chain alphabeta.. their slogan tell a freind.. hmmm
Jonas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:33 PM
  #56
Registered
 
IDRPSTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In your driveway while you sleep
My Boats: Whatever you missed your payment on
Posts: 1,759
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

JONAS,
I agree with just about every word you have just said. Although selling a boat and selling a house are two very different situations. I did it as a full time job for years, and I NEVER got a brokerage boat wet without 10% down. NEVER! I don't care if you flew across country and brought your wife along with you. This is a service to the actual owner. Too many things can go wrong on a sea trail, broken parts, blown engines, and theft (Ask any broker in FL or CA and they will most likely have a story for you).
Too many vacations involve "Boat rides" (Sea Trails). And they cost the seller and the broker $$$.
I helped a friend sell a boat to a guy that was ready to "Cut a check" right after the sea trial this past winter. The guy showed up with 5 people and was never heard from again. Selling boats involves cutting through allot of Bullsh&%t. Worse than High Line cars, Real estate or any other market I have seen. Unfortunately, those of us that are legitimately interested in buying a boat have to pass the roadblocks set by those who waste time and stroke salespeople. And a good broker will protect the sellers asset, rather than risk an expensive joyride.

I would be curious if there was ever a deposit on this boat. If not, I wouldn't have dipped it either. Deposit after sea trail isnt how it works in most cases, and I sure wouldnt let the boat off my property until it was paid for in full. I think Randy did the owner a service. It may have been a good idea to get a broker on the buyers end, they dont cost any extra money (Commision comes out of the same holdback as for the seller) and they controll how the deal is structured through escrow. Just a thought to help you with your next deal.
IDRPSTF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:40 PM
  #57
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Can't remember.
Posts: 3,684
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
JONAS,
I agree with just about every word you have just said. Although selling a boat and selling a house are two very different situations. I did it as a full time job for years, and I NEVER got a brokerage boat wet without 10% down. NEVER! I don't care if you flew across country and brought your wife along with you. This is a service to the actual owner. Too many things can go wrong on a sea trail, broken parts, blown engines, and theft (Ask any broker in FL or CA and they will most likely have a story for you).
Too many vacations involve "Boat rides" (Sea Trails). And they cost the seller and the broker $$$.
I helped a friend sell a boat to a guy that was ready to "Cut a check" right after the sea trial this past winter. The guy showed up with 5 people and was never heard from again. Selling boats involves cutting through allot of Bullsh&%t. Worse than High Line cars, Real estate or any other market I have seen. Unfortunately, those of us that are legitimately interested in buying a boat have to pass the roadblocks set by those who waste time and stroke salespeople. And a good broker will protect the sellers asset, rather than risk an expensive joyride.

I would be curious if there was ever a deposit on this boat. If not, I wouldn't have dipped it either. Deposit after sea trail isnt how it works in most cases, and I sure wouldnt let the boat off my property until it was paid for in full. I think Randy did the owner a service. It may have been a good idea to get a broker on the buyers end, they dont cost any extra money (Commision comes out of the same holdback as for the seller) and they controll how the deal is structured through escrow. Just a thought to help you with your next deal.
For info i had 20% to put down on the boat if it hit the water but i never had to pull it out so if you saying i just wanted a free boat ride well your wrong.i guess he did the owner a favor the boat is still setting in the warehouse.0+0=0
docmanrich37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:47 PM
  #58
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
My Boats: You can't boat on an ICE FLOW
Posts: 1,129
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

IDRPSTF. Are buyers really that bad ? I have been on several very long trips this year looking for a boat. Each time I had a signed contract and a 10% deposit check in the hands of the broker for the walk through. Twice, it had to be returned prior to any seatrial due to the boats poor condition. Not as advertised. I have gone to the point of seatrial and the boats not live up to performance expectations / promises and or equipment not in proper working order. In each case I did get my un-cashed check back with no issue. It has cost me several thousand Dollars due to sellers / brokers not telling the entire truth about a boats condition. I am not complaining. I would rather loose a couple thousand that a couple hundred thousand. So I think the thing evens out in the end for both buyers and sellers.

I would not expect a seatrial without the 10% deposit. I would also not expect a seller to hold a boat without a deposit. I would however request a walk through without a contract and / or deposit. This is based on past experience of less than truthful advertising.

It is my money and the seller should not expect it unless the vessel is as advertised. Another thing to remember, boats are a "want to have" not a "have the have", and smart people will walk away if they are not treated in a manner that meets their expectations. I think the buyer has the advantage and the seller should remember that.
h2owarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:48 PM
  #59
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Eastern Lake Ontario
My Boats: 1989 Formula F-311-SR1
Posts: 2,896
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

10% down for a sea trial,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's bullchit!!!!!! I wouldn't pay 20 grand to trial a boat. If you want to sell a boat you gotta take a few people for a ride, plain and simple. What the heck is the broker being paid for anyway?!?! As for "breaking" the boat during a sea trial, that's crap too. You don't just hand someone the keys and say "here ya go". You go with them, you make sure they know what they're doing, then you let them drive it,,,,,,,,,where you tell them to,,,,,,,, where it's safe,,,,,,,,,, while you're on board.

I don't know whos' right or wrong in this little mess but, I ain't paying nobody to sea trial a boat. You can keep the damn thing!!
ThirdBird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:57 PM
  #60
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
My Boats: You can't boat on an ICE FLOW
Posts: 1,129
Default Re: LOST MY TIME & MONEY IN FLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdBird
10% down for a sea trial,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's bullchit!!!!!! I wouldn't pay 20 grand to trial a boat. If you want to sell a boat you gotta take a few people for a ride, plain and simple. What the heck is the broker being paid for anyway?!?! As for "breaking" the boat during a sea trial, that's crap too. You don't just hand someone the keys and say "here ya go". You go with them, you make sure they know what they're doing, then you let them drive it,,,,,,,,,where you tell them to,,,,,,,, where it's safe,,,,,,,,,, while you're on board.

I don't know whos' right or wrong in this little mess but, I ain't paying nobody to sea trial a boat. You can keep the damn thing!!

Most dealers will take you for a ride without a deposit. There are not very many brokered boats that you will get wet without some money down. Private sellers are a mixed bag. Not too many $200,000 boats sold without a broker. That has been my experience anyway.
h2owarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BBB
General Boating Discussion
14
05-23-2005 04:32 PM
Tom McCann
General Boating Discussion
9
02-23-2003 09:27 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.