Notices

Making Progress

Old 06-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Making Progress

Actually made some progress today. Since everyone was saying the first thing to try was clean the carbs, so I warmed the motors then pulled the air boxes off the errant port motor. Turned the key on, heard the electric fuel pump that runs the primer circuit run, then opened the throttles full and looked down the bores ... to the sight of fuel just running out of the enrichener circuits.

I pulled the plug on the electric pump and the motors fired up after just a couple turns to clear out all the excess fuel. So ... I pulled the enrichener solenoids (4 of the 6 were pumping fuel) and cleaned a ton of crap out of their cavities. Put it all together and the stream of raw fuel was down to a trickle of raw fuel in now just 2 of the 6 carbs. Pulled those two again and shot a bunch of cleaner through them and finally there was no raw fuel running out. Did some more cleaning for good measure (drained all the float bowls etc), dumped a bunch of crap out of the fuel filter (looked like they had used anti-sieze on the gasket instead of some oil, so I cleaned all that up too) and put some injector cleaner in the filters before putting them back on. I was actually able to get the motors to restart warm with just a burp of the throttles to clear them out once it fired.

Next on the agenda, since it seemed to actually be running (although the prot motor still seems to smoke more, so may have the oil injector to look at next), was to take it out for a short test run. Did pretty good up till about 3500 RPM, then I kept having the stbd prop blow out and the motor rev to 4000+. Guess I need some more practice/training on dealing with high mounted motors as I've been spoiled by the 4-blades and deep running TRS drives from the Formula.

I plan to pull the plugs to make sure it looks like the motors are all ok then go out and try to run it again on Sunday. The boat has the long K-planes, so I'll experiment with them and see how they affect the mid-RPM planning.

At least it actually left the dock for a change .

-Greg
Old 06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: Making Progress

Glad to hear that you are getting things sorted out Greg. I figured that you would.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: Making Progress

Actuall got it out and on plane today, but the port motor will only rev to 3500-3700 RPM while the stbd will climb up to 4700. I'm sure there is more junk in the fuel system that I didn't get cleaned out. I'll change the main fuel filters and clean the engine ones again, but may look for some help to disassemble, clean and adjust the 6 carbs (never tried to sync a 6 carb outboard before). Of course, all the local mechanics seem to be booked up so I may not have it running for the 4th weekend unless I get some gaskets and tackle it myself.

-Greg