Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who makes the best blower/supercharger? >

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?
The Blower Shop
17.52%
BDS
9.70%
Mooneyham
2.70%
Dyers
0.54%
Weiand
1.89%
Holley
1.08%
Littlefield
5.93%
Whipplecharger
43.40%
Procharger
11.86%
Vortech
5.39%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
No, only tested on engines, not the blower dyno, yet. THe electricity bill is out of control with this thing, but we've been doing a lot of test on coatings, etc. on the smaller sc's, and the rotor profile, port timing, etc. is all the same, just somewhat super-sized. PSI was tested on the engine. Still more to be done, but we got everything going in the right direction.

The axial entry compressor is higher flowing than the radial no matter what though, the radial entry has lower VE because the rotors leak more air when there not sealed 360 degrees. Roots do this as well, but there VE is way, way down from a screw compressor.

Thanks,
Dustin
Keep us posted.Very nice stuff!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrdman
look now everybody is in front of psi.....they are not that dumb.... and when you do a psi motor....you have to make boost to get the effects of the blower discharge temps....motors do not like boost....hmmmm...
I'm not sure I follow? Motors love boost, it makes the engine far more efficient for power vs. ci. I think it's the gasoline that doesn't like boost

As a rule of thumb, you can typically add 7-8 deg F per lb of boost with a good screw compressor. The curve is typically pretty linear, not like a roots where it just gets hotter and hotter as boost increases. PSI's rotor design was originally done in the 50's. We used something very similar that was made by Sprintex in the late 80's and early 90's. It's technology is no where near the later generation profiles. The amount of air that can be flowed vs. size is drastically different from early generation rotor designs.

To note, we have different pressure ratios which makes a screw compressor better at different boost levels. PSI typically has too high of a built in pressure ratio which limits flow, parasitic losses and temp. Until you get to 30+lbs of boost, your losing something at lower psi's. Thats before you add distribuition into the equation, PSI's have usually been poor at distribution, they have some plates and there are things you can do to make them better, but just bolted on, they will be a problem. Put 8 a/f meters on, you'll be shocked. Ours is within .5 a/f and 50 deg from high to low.

New motto for the roots guys, and I think I'm going to have to get some shirts made, "why be blown when you can be screw'd"

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
I'm not sure I follow? Motors love boost, it makes the engine far more efficient for power vs. ci. I think it's the gasoline that doesn't like boost

As a rule of thumb, you can typically add 7-8 deg F per lb of boost with a good screw compressor. The curve is typically pretty linear, not like a roots where it just gets hotter and hotter as boost increases. PSI's rotor design was originally done in the 50's. We used something very similar that was made by Sprintex in the late 80's and early 90's. It's technology is no where near the later generation profiles. The amount of air that can be flowed vs. size is drastically different from early generation rotor designs.

To note, we have different pressure ratios which makes a screw compressor better at different boost levels. PSI typically has too high of a built in pressure ratio which limits flow, parasitic losses and temp. Until you get to 30+lbs of boost, your losing something at lower psi's. Thats before you add distribuition into the equation, PSI's have usually been poor at distribution, they have some plates and there are things you can do to make them better, but just bolted on, they will be a problem. Put 8 a/f meters on, you'll be shocked. Ours is within .5 a/f and 50 deg from high to low.

New motto for the roots guys, and I think I'm going to have to get some shirts made, "why be blown when you can be screw'd"

Thanks,
Dustin
How about EGTs?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like boost....some of my people do not like boost and give me horse crap excuses...I am getting very tired....what is the most boost you would like to see in a boat motor...of course it has to live......not blow up like some of this boards biggest talkers have done.....the motors must live in a boat....all the big boys here blow up....then blame it on something else.....when it was just a misfired gamble of timing fuel and boost....nice
Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boost is just a restriction of airflow
Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Registered

Whipple…..

They have developed and are producing of some of the most efficient & robust superchargers on the market……..

and…..some of the best looking stuff out there!

Here’s a few pic’s of the NEW stuff for you……

Later,

CJG
:biggrin:

Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Registered

Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Registered

Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the innercooler? The area were the innercooler is doesent look like there's room for a bigger innercooler than like my 3.3???

The belt tensor looks made into the front cover plate?

Nice stuff!!

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
What about the innercooler? The area were the innercooler is doesent look like there's room for a bigger innercooler than like my 3.3???

The belt tensor looks made into the front cover plate?

Nice stuff!!

Rob,
The tensioner is bolted to the front of the SC front cover via a billet 2 piece bracket that goes to 4-points on the front plate and around the drive snout. It was run with 8mm setup, with the idler off the drive snout. Used a blower shop 6.9" drive snout, coupler and idler pulley. So it will work either way, but the serpentine setup is very sexy!

As for the intercooler, the SC has a 2" plenuem below the triangle discharge port, we use the bottom plate to direct the air where needed for proper distribution. The entire bottom is open to the intercooler. The one we used is the MOAC, which is 1" thicker than what you have and it has 2 more inlet/outlets. Works really good with this plenuem on the bottom, allows it to adapt to a standard 4.1" roots opening, modified roots at 5" or a Whipple intercooler, single core or our double billet which is 8" wide.

Thanks,
Dustin

Quick Reply: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.