Notices

Don Aronow 39' cat

Old 08-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Don Aronow 39' cat

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
In addition, some of you guys must not be getting any. Lighten up!
Wheres my old lady....Pack a lunch!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-29-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
Wheres my old lady....?
Have you checked Brownie's office?
Old 08-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by T2x
Have you checked Brownie's office?
He did pick up a couple of Don's traits!
Old 08-02-2004, 04:33 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
He did pick up a couple of Don's traits!
Remember the 60's song........ Mister Brown has swiped your lovely daughter....?

T2x
Old 08-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brownie is right on the mark, certainly when we looked at it in the beginning of the project I had some very serious doubts because, let's just say, the performance of the gas powered boats were not steller and were a maintenance nightmare by most standards.

Richie Powers and I went back and forth as if it would work or not and finally became confortable with our ideas so we did it. What we ended up with is something that Customs wish they had but never got to do it.

We knew we could get it to run 65 with the Merlin 400s if we could keep the drives together. The obvious solution because of our experience with them was the Arnesons and since the owner's only requirements were 65, diesel, reliable and carry alot of people we took the chance.

The only problem we really had to overcome was the low rpm/speed lunging because of the large props. We finally came up with a set of Rollas that did the trick and it was one of the most enjoyable all around boats that I have operated.

In fact the head cheese from DC came down to take delivery on two new Customs boats for Texas and rode in the boat while it out ran their two new boats in some pretty big seas out of Baker Haulover. I'm not sure that Don was happy with me that day but he never said anything.

Two things I would do different that come to immediate mind, dual speed trans and I wouldn't use the hydraulic tiebar system. The hydraulic tiebar was something most could not understand.

The only thing we broke was the swim platform bottom and that was because when I came back from Cat Island one time around the southern tip of Eluthera I stood it up one too many times in some pretty big water. A little reinforcement and it was good to go.

Both T2x and Brownie are correct, on many accounts. I've said it earlier, I would not build it with any thing but Arnesons and Diesels.

I can tell you this, if I had a choice of the 39 Express and this one (I've driven both) at night going from Chub to Nassau in the middle of the night in 6 to 8 seas when you cannot see your hand in front of your face, I'll take the Aronow setup like we had it. I've done it.

AC

Last edited by Andrew Corn; 08-02-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Interesting read...Thanks Andrew.
Brownie, tell Jackie to come home..I forgive her.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Registered

Firefox... you'll be glad when she gets home. New tricks!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Corn
I can tell you this, if I had a choice of the 39 Express and this one (I've driven both) at night going from Chub to Nassau in the middle of the night in 6 to 8 seas when you cannot see your hand in front of your face, I'll take the Aronow setup like we had it. I've done it.

AC
Personally I would use Neither;hands down one of the old 40 Cheetahs or the new 42 Speed/comfort/Safety Plus LOL they can't sink..
Old 08-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus you get an employee discount
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No, no, no. You guys are looking at it all wrong. Diesels and Arneson drives? Come on. You want outboards and room to fish.

Saw this on www.boattraderonline.com. This guy took a customs boat, chopped the hell out of it and turned it into a center console. Looks like the console from a Dakota. He e-mailed me some pics. Said it cruised at 28MPH (that's twenty eight ) and topped out at 35-ish. Then he told me that he wanted $175K.

I told him he was a little off the mark, and the price is now only $129K. Someone better act quick.....

Here are the pics he sent. Can we all agree this is probably what NOT to do with one of these?
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow 39' cat-tn_dsc_0710.jpg   Don Aronow 39' cat-tn_dsc_0731.jpg   Don Aronow 39' cat-tn_pict0005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Don Aronow 39' cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.