Has Cigarette lost it's way??? >

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Notices

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Originally Posted by Scott B
... But, Cig is continuing to boast World Champion everywhere, when they have not built a championship hull in how many years??
Not too long ago !
Attached Thumbnails Has Cigarette lost it's way???-12.jpg   Has Cigarette lost it's way???-tvcig_10_r.jpg   Has Cigarette lost it's way???-virgin31.jpg  

Last edited by cigarette1; 08-08-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Originally Posted by Scott B
IMO, the point is that Cig is resting on their laurels from what, 30 years ago?? Hell, even Cassius Clay gave up that

Drag races are cool, there is no doubt. But the point that they are not real world boating is an oh so valid ones. Running 6 - 7's @ in the Atlantic in a ZR, the same on a Fountain in 1000 islands, crushing the waves racing off of Daytona or Key west, hell even Alabama, these are the true tests of an offshore boat. And it is proven that the old Cigs could do this in a race situation, and win. But, Cig is continuing to boast World Champion everywhere, when they have not built a championship hull in how many years?? IMO, it's time they gave that title to Apache since it seems several of their old style hulls (not saying carbon copies here) ended up there...

Pure and simple: You want to continue boasting you have the title, you don't lay down and quit.. Donzi is back, and kicking some azz, where the hell is Cig and the loyal Cig contingent? Playing patrol boat!!
BTW....Nothing against Apache....A lumpy old resin bucket 36 was the first boat into Cleveland at Eastside Poker Run....NOT a 120mph Fountain

2002 I believe ?......Tres Martin showed EVERYONE what these Cigs can do when the water turns ugly...In a 36 & a 38

Last edited by birdog; 08-08-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Shane]
Originally Posted by cigarette1
Damn Clearcut3 ... you took the words right out of my fingertips ... THERE ARE NO MORE OFFSHORE RACES

REALLY? Ever been to Key West, Point Pleasant or Daytona? I have raced and won at these locations, and let me tell you, they ARE rough water races. While I agree that offshore racing has taken on a different mantra, (Not nearly as much emphasis is placed on longevity in harsh conditions) there are still a FEW true ROUGH water races. And those are the races that seperate the men from the boys.
I agree shane. I didn't mean to come across that it is just a big lake race now but the venue has changed. The one thing I have noticed is at the races when the water is really nasty...you see the old resin buckets whippin *ss.

I think that Reggie has done A LOT for offshore racing and they have tried to make it spectaor friendly. In my opinion it still isn't a spectator sport and the old venues were more harsh conditions.

Like I stated it's just my opinion, but as far as the Cigs in rough water...all of us who have had the opportunity to experience all the different manufacturers know how the Cigs, Apaches, Sutphens, etc... have their place in the rough stuff.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I think ScottB was pulling our chain He's been around OSO for a while and I don't think his memory is that short.

Nice one Scott

G
Old 08-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what gave me away, the Fountain in 6 - 7'rs??
Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 PM
jtmiller02

Law:

You refer to Cigarette and DA and the Legend, Cigarette was not the first performance boat made by DA. However Cigarette grew to a level and the name carried such recognition that it is the name today that everyone identifies with. When you think of soda, you think Coke, you think a hamburger you think McDonalds, when you think of a 4wd you think Jeep. There are many other fast food chains, Suv companies and soft drink manufacturers, however these 3 examples are the names America and the "civilized world" identify with.

Cigarette has made it very clear through public communication methods that Poker Runs are where they feel their marketing is most effective RIGHT NOW. People buy Cigarettes because of their name, their resale value, their sexiness. Not because they are the fastest boat, the least expensive boat, or possibly the best made boat. They have found a method which allows them to charge their price for their product and keep demand very high, which is good for both them and the consumer.

What makes the race course the only standard for a proving ground. McDonalds might not have the healthiest or best burger but that doesn't matter their name is the DeFacto standard in hamburgers.

The fact that Cigarette decides that racing is not the domain which best markets their products to the public, changes nothing about their "heritage", their past wins or world records. The Ferrari name was not built on last weeks win or loss, it was built in the past.

Cigarette has built their name, and they have the name recognition and reputation to build their products and sell them at a premium price. Its hard to argue with someone who throws the most money at the method which sells the most products for the most profit.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Registered

What other boat can you name being built today that will beat a Cig in the rough? There are other good rough water boats being built, but I honestly can't think of one that will "beat a Cig like a drum".

I know when the water gets rough out here I rarely see any other boats running with the Cigs.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

38 Phantom, 34 Phantom.......

Last edited by d-hlaw; 08-08-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Hey, why did you take the skater away??
Old 08-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it may handle as well, but not better

Quick Reply: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.