Has Cigarette lost it's way??? >

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Notices

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Brett it just sounds like you have a personal issue with the management at Cigarette these days. This is not surprising since you are buddies with Tres and his crew. Not everyone can agree on everything.

What we can agree on is the fact that when Cigarette did race they were throwing alot of money at it, and the company barely could pay the electric bill. Go figure.

Example: National Marine sells 3-4 boats per Poker Run. Where almost no boats are sold at a sanctioned race, if any. Buyers are in Key West, Sarasota, Michigan, NY, etc, enjoying their boats and looking at others that they might potentially upgrade to someday. Not full canopied shells that in no way resemble what can actually be purchased for pleasure use.

Racing will continue to die a slow death because of too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

Why would companies like Cigarette, Outerlimits, etc throw good money away at a dying market that doesn't seem to be getting any better?

I think it's awesome that guys like you are still out there running laps for the love of racing. Unfortunately, there are very few actual buyers these days that are interested in the racing side of the sport.

If there were more guys like you, then racing might see a comeback. Too many one hit (or one season) wonders these days.

Racing becomes even more expensive when your getting no feedback or any new customers. Poker Runs are a boat show type situation where your real clients are free to board the latest equipment and get a ride. This is a MUCH better business plan, something the business side of Cigarette has yearned for for sometime.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PRG, new screen name??
Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I absolutely have no issues with Cigarette management. I have never experienced anything but good service from Neil and staff.

I think that alot of what I am saying is being misunderstood.... There is a problem with the hull design that results in little feedback before spin et al. Does the factory want to address the issue by utilizing race teams in controlled conditions, or just let poker runners figure it out themselves?? It appears that the latter is the choice. Along the same lines at what point does the factory no longer get to wear the "Racing Team" logo due to failure to show up at or participate in races? You are correct that racing shells dont sell boats to the average consumer, but the lessons learned on the race course save the average consumers life and add to the performance of the boat.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Racing becomes even more expensive when your getting no feedback or any new customers. Poker Runs are a boat show type situation where your real clients are free to board the latest equipment and get a ride. This is a MUCH better business plan, something the business side of Cigarette has yearned for for sometime.
Isn't the fact that Fountain has been on very shakey financial ground for many years, and probably would not be in business if it wasn't for Mercury and Brunswick, support the theory that being the world's fastest v-bottom and dominating racing over the last 15 years isn't worth much to a business's bottom line. It might be that most poker runners can't see themselves in 7500lb canopied boats with motors that get rebuilt after every 2-3 poker runs. If cigarettes new business plan fails than they are doing something wrong. Right now they seem to be selling their boats and getting top dollar. Like them or not this was not the case ever since Don Aronow sold this business in 1981. It seems really easy for everyone to spend Skips money on this board but nobody else stepped up and paid the piper like he did. Time will tell. I for one, wish him all the best. Competition drives everything in life. NK
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
Remember, even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while.........
With Reggie watching over without gold chains
Attached Thumbnails Has Cigarette lost it's way???-sqirrel.jpg  
Old 08-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Registered

There is a problem with the hull design that results in little feedback before spin et al. Does the factory want to address the issue by utilizing race teams in controlled conditions, or just let poker runners figure it out themselves?? It appears that the latter is the choice. You are correct that racing shells dont sell boats to the average consumer, but the lessons learned on the race course save the average consumers life and add to the performance of the boat.

Are you saying that after all these years of racing, Fountains and Skaters don't spin out? NK
Old 08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, what I am saying is that the Factory's "could care less" attitude leaves alot to be desired.....
Old 08-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

No, what I am saying is that the Factory's "could care less" attitude leaves alot to be desired.....
Brett.....I know that you have spun the Gladiator....and we all know that is the risk you take when racing...but to say that they have a care less attitude is stretching it a bit.....dont ya think????