Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Signature 38

jo what's up with that arch on that 38 did it have a purpose

donz jr mike
Old 03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya Pepe, that sounds great. My mom tells me some stories about my dad here and there but I never get tired of hearing more. I'm in the middle of school right now but in about a month or so I get off for the summer. It would be cool to hear some stories and maybe check out some boats at your shop or somethin. If its cool with you I will try and get back in touch when the summer roles around.
Thanks for getting back to me so quick by the way.
- J Adams
Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Registered

402al - I have some pics. Im in the middle of school right now, and I dont have the pictures with me, but I will send you some asap. (FYI I dont get out of school for anothermonth or two). I think its great that you have a signature and please keep me updated on your pogress, seeing pics of the restoration would be awesome.
- J Adams
Old 03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is an 81 I used to run around in all the time. Still here in the Chicago area
Attached Thumbnails Signature 38-rainbow-chaser.jpg  
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Mr.Cig,

I remember seeing that boat "Rainbow Chaser" in Saugatuck a few times during the mid 1980's. I remember the guy being from Chicago, and seeing the boat in Saugatuck for the 1986 offshore boat races in August. The races were being held out of Grand Haven, but he moored the boat at Saugatuck during the weekend for the races. I remember being invited by my friend Jimmy to ride on his new 32' Hustler "SAVAGE" with Arneson drives, and Matt with his 30' Carrera "Malendrino" and we were staying there in Saugatuck as well for that weekend. I also remember it being a fantastic weekend---the weather was great and the water was calm during race day. It was a day for the cats for sure, but I remember seeing that 38' Signature called "Rainbow Chaser" out on the lake just as the day was begininning before the races started and he broke down out there. We stopped by to see if he needed anything and he was idling back toward the pier head/jetty of Saugatuck. I felt bad for him because he had a boat full of guests and it was such a nice day for boating. I think he at least stayed out and watched the races from where he was at so the day wasn't a complete loss. That was a long time ago, but I definately remember that boat.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-22-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Registered

Good memory Kamma! Yep I remember seeing it and someone said " hey man, thats Jimi Hendrix' boat " Very cool boat back then mrCig.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The customer we built that 38' race boat wanted to have a custom trimable wing designed to give it lift at high speeds. I remember in Lake X in 1994 we tried to put some trim into the wing at over 110 MPH and the boat carried to the point that there was no steering left due to the props being completely out of the water. It was a wild ride at over 110 MPH. I raced this boat in 1995 at the West Palm Beach APBA national and I believe we took a 2nd or a 3rd place in Modified class with it. I was on the wheel because my customer felt that if I throttled the boat it was going to be one wild ride in the ocean.

The boat had a reputation due to the sharp 28 degree bow of wanting to try and grab and spin the ass end around on high speed turns. You basically wanted to leave the drives out a bit while turning so it would not force the bow down on high speed turns. Kind of like turning a stepped bottom today.The bottom was fast though due to its 18 degree deadrise near the transom.The boat just looked a bit outdated back then.

We wanted to start a new Pantera 36' Survivor at a later date with our own deck style and twin stepped bottom design and we did recentley.Boat runs and looks incredible

Regards,

Jo - Pantera Boats
Attached Thumbnails Signature 38-p1_006.jpg   Signature 38-patients-011.jpg   Signature 38-patients-008.jpg  

Old 03-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have some original Signature brochures that I will try and scan and post a few pictures tomorrow for you guys to see from the 70s.

Regards,

JO
Old 03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Mr.Cig,

I remember seeing that boat "Rainbow Chaser" in Saugatuck a few times during the mid 1980's. I remember the guy being from Chicago, and seeing the boat in Saugatuck for the 1986 offshore boat races in August. The races were being held out of Grand Haven, but he moored the boat at Saugatuck during the weekend for the races. I remember being invited by my friend Jimmy to ride on his new 32' Hustler "SAVAGE" with Arneson drives, and Matt with his 30' Carrera "Malendrino" and we were staying there in Saugatuck as well for that weekend. I also remember it being a fantastic weekend---the weather was great and the water was calm during race day. It was a day for the cats for sure, but I remember seeing that 38' Signature called "Rainbow Chaser" out on the lake just as the day was begininning before the races started and he broke down out there. We stopped by to see if he needed anything and he was idling back toward the pier head/jetty of Saugatuck. I felt bad for him because he had a boat full of guests and it was such a nice day for boating. I think he at least stayed out and watched the races from where he was at so the day wasn't a complete loss. That was a long time ago, but I definately remember that boat.
Good memory Mark the motor hydraulic that day and we blew the nose off the starter. With the P1000 exhaust it had we had to put cups in the exhaust when we would sit and watch the races but someone forgot to put them in that time.

Lots of good memory on that boat. I'll have to dig up some more pictures and scan them.

Another friend of mine owns the 30 Carrera he has ir up for sale.

Mark

Last edited by MrCIG; 03-22-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Jo, any possibility of some originals?? re; signature brochures, if not, copies possible?? regards Al

Quick Reply: Signature 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.