Notices

American Hotrod

Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: American Hotrod

Originally Posted by open72
ihe occ ,to much bs , they need to boot the dad and just let the son build. calm , quiet , creative. but then , what do i know i like hgdtv
"Pimp my Yard" Xibit would have a bunch of pot plants in the front yard.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shipshape TV is still broadcast. You have to look for it to find it. I think of all the mechanical how to show this is the best.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a guy come by and wanted me and another restoration shop to participate in a "reality" show...We both told them it would take two years of filming to make one episode....... My buddy that does the paint work is very well known in the hot rod circles. He is also friends with Boyd Coddington... BOYD DOES NEED THE MONEY... His wheel business went bankrupt a few years ago and he walked away from millions in debt.. Now he is back in business making wheels again.. What about the suppliers he left in the dust just a few years ago?.... Uhhh... I guess it's just tough luck. Boyd wanted me to build a Jag V-12 motor for one of his projects... He decided on a new Viper V10 after I told him how much it was going to cost to do it the way he wanted....
Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a buddy that builds '32 Ford frames (famous hot rod family) and has a shop in Stanton. Boyd used to be his landlord when he had the wheel business. It was a big complex and they rented out units to hod rod shops. They manufactured the wheels there but also had the car shop, a hot rod sales/consignment shop and a bunch of other stuff. It grew very large, very quickly before going bust. Like I said, I don't think Boyd is a very good businessman. He just got popped by the CA DMV for registering his cars as older cars (ex: '32 Ford) for way undervalue and selling them for big$. Now they want back reg fees for more $. Now they are ooking at changing the laws. That's the down side of all these shows. It brings attention to our hobbies from people that know nothing about it. then they start digging around and wanting to change stuff. Higher reg fees, safety regulations, smog test!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

I agree Al... it's brought a lot of unwanted attention to the hobby.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

I'm waiting for the DOT to start making builders pass crash and impact worthiness standards. Smog standards can easily be met with the modern engines. But that was what hot rodding was all about. It was taking your family sedan and making something different out of it. All these custom shops are spewing out NEW cars that don't meet any of the smog or dot requirements.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

A long ongoing debate in the hot rod world, steel vs "plastic" cars. My car started out as a real 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan. Chopped and filled roof, new floor & firewall, etc. Registered as a 1932 ford using original VIN. These new cars are fibeglass repops (plastic) or now a few are making steel bodies but either way, there is not a single 1932 ford part on them. They vary from super nice, built with lots of talent and $ to your average every day street rod. But they are not a 1932 Ford and shouldn't be registered as such.

You're right, Reed. I don't think it is going to be long before DOT starts cracking down on these repop cars. They want "their" tax money out of them and also the smog stuff.

I will probably eventually sell my car and stick to boating!
Old 12-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 32fever
"Pimp my Yard" Xibit would have a bunch of pot plants in the front yard.

like this

(that's bamboo )
Attached Thumbnails American Hotrod-2003_0501image0001.jpg  

Last edited by open87; 12-04-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

i meant that pimp my ride is a little more entertaining than boyd , that's what tv is , entertainment , i see bullsh$t at the bodyshop all day long. don't need to come home and watch it.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Stillcrazy

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Shipshape TV is still broadcast. You have to look for it to find it. I think of all the mechanical how to show this is the best.
Ship Shape is good but I wish he would stop heat shrinking in the bilge with a cig. lighter.

Quick Reply: American Hotrod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.