Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38 >

Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Notices

Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Old 01-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

I wonder if it's going to be a shoebox hull/deck joint or butted. Can't really tell if the joint is going to fall on the spray rail from the pictures of the plugs.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Registered

Maximus and I will be at the factory to inspect my new 32 "loan shark" on wed. I will take some pics while i am there. We are installing the seat brakets for mounting the new sparco seats. The boat will then go to EFX for paint and then Offshore Concepts in sarasota for rigging and testing.

The new 38 should be a winner in super cat light.

Dan
Old 01-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, the joint will be above the spray rail similar to the 32. The hull mold will be a 3 piece mold because of the shape of the hull sides. The boats are built in Melbourne, Florida. The 38' has a few modifications compared to the 32'
- different angle on the chines and strakes
- slightly more aggressive angle to the tunnel with a slight S curve which reduces lift but makes the airflow thru the tunnel more laminar for less drag
- deck is designed to create more airflow over it as opposed to spilling it off which would effectively reduce the size of the wing negatively affecting lift
- canopy is redesigned
- hull sides are slightly rounded for more rigidity/strength
Doug also does cnc and composite work for several light aircraft designers and got their input on the deck and tunnel design...it should be an interesting piece

Last edited by dcrighton; 01-01-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dcrighton
- deck is designed to create more airflow over it as opposed to spilling it off which would effectively reduce the size of the wing negatively affecting lift
Yeah, I noticed how the deck seems to dip down in the middle a little in the shot from the rear. It will be interesting to see how it runs. Seems like it wouldn't be a boat that you would ever want to leave uncovered in the weather though. Looked kind of like the water might be steered towards the engine hatches.

Not that the person who buys one of these would be planning on leaving it uncovered....

The slight S curve to the tunnel is interesting. I've never heard that something like that would reduce drag, but I've also never seen it done so subtly.

This is the kind of stuff that totally fascinates me about boats. Big engines are cool and all, but every motorsport has motors. Hull design is why offshore racing fascinates me.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The platinum and tencara cats have a similar s curve in the tunnel bottom, but considerably more pronounced. Some of the earlier 36 skaters, such as the critical lift and peppers race boats, also have a slight curve in the tunnel bottoms. The shape in those boats are more of a hook...probably to create additional compression in the tunnel. Pretty interesting how boat designers differ in ideas but get to the same conclusion...Doug designed his to keep air flowing over the deck effectively creating a wider wing for more lift....Peter cuts down his decks considerably more in the bow which increases camber and allows him to make a thicker wing to create more lift.
Go figure.....
Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any idea if this boat will be at the Miami show this year?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

doubt it. he is a limited production custom builder. very limited.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Registered

The old chris cats had a big hook in the tunnel to increase tunnel compression. I am not sure but I think the shadow cats were very similar
Old 01-03-2005, 02:11 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on this design or the 32'???? Anyone get pics of the any of the 32's being built???
Old 01-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

... Key West...

The boat is great, but I think that the Throttle Man in this boat is just a little wimpy....
Attached Thumbnails Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38-stkr-boy-n-mark.jpg   Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38-stkr-boy-2.jpg  
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation

Quick Reply: Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.