Like Tree0Likes

Electrical guru's

Old 03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Thread Starter
PorscheSpeed's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
My Boats: Cigar Top Gun
Posts: 474
Exclamation Electrical guru's

I need a way to use 12 volt electronics i.e: phone chargers. sound systems, and the usual..

How cam I go from 24 to 12 volt? do they make in inverter to do this?
PorscheSpeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boats: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,172
Default Re: Electrical guru's

KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
mcollinstn's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: tn
My Boats: 1991 F311SR1
Posts: 5,491
Default Re: Electrical guru's

1) Pull a wire from the "jumper wire" that goes between the two 12v batteries. Call that wire the "tweener". It will show 12v between either the boat's 24v ground OR the 24v hot. Can plumb it into a normal 12v cig lighter unit. Will work fine and will also allow more "substantial" 12v accessories to be plugged in (Q-beams, 12v inflators for tubes, high powered marital aids, etc..).

2) Use a cheap switching power supply. Most cellphone cords ALREADY HAVE one built in (to drop to the phone battery's voltage). Chances are, it will work with 24v LIKE IT SITS. Make sure, though, that if you install a receptable that it is clearly marked 24v so somebody doesn't plug a 12v accessory into it (especially that marital aid..)
mcollinstn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
General Q & A
01-09-2008 07:12 AM
General Boating Discussion
12-28-2006 05:09 PM
General Q & A
03-21-2005 07:11 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.