Stock flywheels/big power

Notices

Stock flywheels/big power

Old 04-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Stock flywheels/big power

I've been buttoning up my procharged 540 getting ready to dyno in a few weeks,i'm expecting to see around 850-900 hp. My question is for all you big power guys(jcperf,gpm,rlw,tomcat and anyone else making 750-1000 plus hp). I ran a stock replacement mk4 style flywheel on my motor for last 2 years with around 750hp/800 ft lbs torque w/xr style coupler,i spin motor to 6000 rpm's max,with no problems. Are you guys running stock flywheels,do they or has anyone heard of then breaking/exploding? Is it a must that i buy a billet flywheel? Sure,i can spend 300$ on one for piece of mind but is it really a non issue?Thanks in advance for any input,Smitty
Old 04-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Stock flywheels/big power

I don't see any need in it . On my Scarab blower motor I made 828hp and the My Hustler motors made even more .all stock heavy flywheels

I don't even here of anybody running anything different ?

Smitty what did you end up doing about a throttle body?

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:07 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Summit sells them for about $230, how many dollars worth of parts will you loose if it breaks, where are all the pieces going to end up. I like the 25lb Hays. Good Luck on the Dyno!!
Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I don't see any need in it . On my Scarab blower motor I made 828hp and the My Hustler motors made even more .all stock heavy flywheels

I don't even here of anybody running anything different ?

Smitty what did you end up doing about a throttle body?

Rob
Rob,I had it flowed but the results can't be compared to a carb(throttle bodies are rated by dia,not flow like a carb?). The local pro head porter/flow guy said even though it only flowed 622 cfm that on a motor it would flow twice that and support 900 hp n/a let alone with boost pushing thru it. The manifold i have highly modified in a bridgeport mill plus i made custom fuel rails for the 63 lb injectors (they are 5/8 inch longer than stock). If it makes less than 850hp on the dyno i will buy a 1200cfm throttle bodie and open plenum intake. I just got the heads and pistons back from swaintech from getting full thermal coating treatment and the cam i ordered from rm builder also came this week. I have gotten 13 transmission jobs in this last week and a 1/2 so there hasn't been any time to put motor together,today i left the phone off the hook and worked on motor all day,of course the timing chain doesn't resemble a big block once it came out of the box so i have to re-order that monday! Anyways,hope to be on dyno by may 15th,Tom Robinson plans on meeting me at Crocketts shop so he can see his Dyno in action and the programing for the 63 lb injectors so it oughta be fun! Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 04-23-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I've been buttoning up my procharged 540 getting ready to dyno in a few weeks,i'm expecting to see around 850-900 hp. My question is for all you big power guys(jcperf,gpm,rlw,tomcat and anyone else making 750-1000 plus hp). I ran a stock replacement mk4 style flywheel on my motor for last 2 years with around 750hp/800 ft lbs torque w/xr style coupler,i spin motor to 6000 rpm's max,with no problems. Are you guys running stock flywheels,do they or has anyone heard of then breaking/exploding? Is it a must that i buy a billet flywheel? Sure,i can spend 300$ on one for piece of mind but is it really a non issue?Thanks in advance for any input,Smitty
I put good flywheels on anything over 700 HP.The cast wheel could go through the bottom if it exploded.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Rob,I had it flowed but the results can't be compared to a carb(throttle bodies are rated by dia,not flow like a carb?). The local pro head porter/flow guy said even though it only flowed 622 cfm that on a motor it would flow twice that and support 900 hp n/a let alone with boost pushing thru it. The manifold i have highly modified in a bridgeport mill plus i made custom fuel rails for the 63 lb injectors (they are 5/8 inch longer than stock). If it makes less than 850hp on the dyno i will buy a 1200cfm throttle bodie and open plenum intake. I just got the heads and pistons back from swaintech from getting full thermal coating treatment and the cam i ordered from rm builder also came this week. I have gotten 13 transmission jobs in this last week and a 1/2 so there hasn't been any time to put motor together,today i left the phone off the hook and worked on motor all day,of course the timing chain doesn't resemble a big block once it came out of the box so i have to re-order that Monday! Anyways,hope to be on dyno by may 15th,Tom Robinson plans on meeting me at Crocketts shop so he can see his Dyno in action and the programing for the 63 lb injectors so it oughta be fun! Smitty

Smitty good luck on the dyno . hope ya get the #'s.Yea I hate getting the wrong parts . Just was there with pulleys

Jeff I guess I really do need those diapers for the flywheels uuh

Have yall seen one of these come apart?I would think it would be from vibrations or harmonics???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:07 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Smitty good luck on the dyno . hope ya get the #'s.Yea I hate getting the wrong parts . Just was there with pulleys

Jeff I guess I really do need those diapers for the flywheels uuh

Have yall seen one of these come apart?I would think it would be from vibrations or harmonics???
Strip, do you run the stock dampner, cast crank and rods?
What's the point in running a $75 flywheel on a $20000 motor.

Last edited by GPM; 04-24-2005 at 07:50 AM.