1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Notices

1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Hi-Tide:
I'm not contending anything along those lines.
I have no personal knowledge other than what I've seen on the web and TV and I've tried to make it patently clear what my sources were. The purpose of this tread was to provoke some constructive discussion so I can't understand why you're bashing me!
Anyways, in the absence of any intrinsic input from you, I take it that your opinion is a direct product of your "base calculations"? Or do you actually have some expertise to share?
Wette: If you look at the 1600 blow-through BBC motor feature on his website (www.stevemorrisracingengines.com) under "performance specifications" you will see a dyno sheet which shows that it makes a peak of 1610 HP at 6100RPM. I have no way of knowing whether this is true or false, so if someone has an issue with it, take it out on Morris, not me, OK?
Without question, this is a drag race setup, so it couldn't be expected to last as is in a marine environment. But I have noticed that a lot of big name drag race engine builders (like Kenny Duttweiler) have been building marine motors for a few years now. I actually have an Hot Rod article with all of the clearances specs that duttweiler uses in his 598 Marine Motor. I don't think it's that much of a difference between a good drag motor and a marine motor.
Besides, anyone that know about engine building will tell you that the primary killer of a reciprocating assembly is RPM, since load increases geometrically with RPM. Granted, a marine engine generally stays at a relatively higher RPM than a passenger car motor, but in my view, if you can build a Big Block Chevy to turn 8500-9000 RPMs even for a few seconds, chances are the same motor will easily handle many long 5,500 - 6500 RPMs blasts in a boat.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I just built a drive for a 25' H2x Baja, 600" Procharged motor from Steve. It made a conservative 966hp at 5500rpm on the dyno.. Boat has seen around 90 so far at part throttle, as I have been told.. Droooollllllll!!!
So yes Steve does boat motors..

Dick

Don't qoute me as fact, only repeating what I was told.
Talking with a friend of this fella above with the Baja.
They been working with Steve Morrison for two years now
and couldn't be happier. Also stated that Steve currently
is the world record holder for the most hp. on pump gas from a procharger. Can't remember what the numbers where, but he said Steve was shooting for 2000 plus this year on pump gas.

Again I don't know under what circumstances or rules.
But whether is Car, dyno, or boat it's pretty respectable.

This fella said Steve uses a series of intercoolers to accomplish the large hp.

Just my .02

Cougarman
Old 06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

1600 hp is definatly possible, 600 cubic inch, pro stock heads, a decent cam, a big Procharger with a big intercooler. On pump gas ? this could scare some of the Roots and Whipple guys.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:03 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

He also builds pulling motors...This is brutal on an engine, going from 8500 rpm down to zero. He is building me a procharged 572,
it should easily make 1400 hp.....then we plan on toning it down to around 1000 for every day use on lake Michigan. I have a CNC mold-machine shop and we are developing a intercooler w/Steve. As things develop I will post some pics.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Hardcore, I hope you're enjoying trouble-free boating these days. Good subject for a thread.

I surfed onto Steve's site one night and gave him a call. He seemed like a good guy to me. We didn't get into any details about what intercooling he is using but I'm sure it's a big one sitting in the passenger seat, with ice water running through it. That is the secret, and everybody in that class does it. Unfortunately this intercooler location means there is a lot of pressure loss in the ducting to and from the intercooler. That means you have to spin the blower faster and hotter for a given power increase. No problem when you have ice and the race is over in 7 seconds.

I don't doubt the HP claims. A good 572 should be able to make 750 HP on its own. It only needs 1000 CFM to do this. A little more pressure drop across the 850 and you're there, with greater signal to the fuel circuit than if you had a Dominator carb. If you apply enough boost to increase air density X 2.4, this engine will make 1800 HP, minus 200 to drive the blower equals 1600 HP. This means the carb has to move 2.4 times the fuel, which is possible with drilled out power valve channels, strong boosters and big jets.

This much density ratio would read as ~20 psi boost in the intake manifold, if the intercooler was using ice and could keep the intake air temperature down to ambient or lower. I think the 28 psi quoted is blower discharge pressure. The extra 8 psi is what you need to fight through the restrictions of the ducting, the intercooler and the carb.

So I believe the numbers, but there is currently no way to do this on pump gas in a boat, unless you boat in the Antarctic. Two things have to happen:

1) intercoolers have to get A LOT BIGGER, so that they can remove more heat with the available water temperature.

2) the ducting from blower to intake has to get A LOT LESS RESTRICTIVE, so that less HP taken off the crank to drive the blower, and the air leaving the blower is cooler to begin with.

Now, I wonder if anybody is trying to build such a thing?
Attached Thumbnails 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor-intercooler2.jpg  

Last edited by tomcat; 06-22-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Call Pro-Charger and talk to Jim Summers , he's the man . We had a 342 inch Ford with Yates heads and a Pro Charger D-2/7 that made over 1400 hp , but definately not on pump gas . I'm curious about the longevity in the boats , for the price of a rebuild with good heads , cam and intake , you could bolt on a blower ....

or you could go old school with a big rat and an 8-71 , waiting in line for the dyno ....
Attached Thumbnails 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor-bullet.jpg  
Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Pump gas is the hardest to swallow, the power claims are easy to believe......twin turbos on a small block will put up those power numbers. I have an buddy who runs big inch nitrous motors in IHRA who is considering going to 500" twin turbo motor and expecting ~3000-3200HP
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Maybe the guy uses pump gas from the "sunoco race gas pump". The numbers are entirely believable,i just question 28 psi of boost w/34 degrees timing w/92 octane,Smitty
Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-performance.cfm

Check out Gale Banks site for what can be done on 91 octane vs. 100 octane. This was on a 366 SBC. There are no details about how the intercooling was done, but I suspect air-to-air in front of the rad. This limits the temp drop and increases pressure drop, so with cooler water and no ducting you can do better.
Attached Thumbnails 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor-horsepower-ttchart-lg.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by tomcat; 06-22-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:52 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Steve Morris here.
CNC told me of the post and let me come on under his ID

Over a year ago is when we shot the ESPN show and at that time 1050 is the number we thought was right. In the show i turned up the blower and made the 1350. {lots of editing you don't see} I work on, and destroyed that same engine over the next 6 months and Have made 1695 with a custom Dominator and 1685 on a 850. Those numbers are on prochargers web site. We were using a F2
A F2 is capable of that much air seeing as procharger under rates them some and you can also turn them faster than the advertize.
Tom Cat is right on the money with his numbers and has a good looking piece he sells.
The key is in the intercooler at 1600 plus my under carb temp was 59 degrees.
Also we are working on and will make [Lord willing] 2000 hp on 93 it will be VP 93 but still 93 octane. Not only this but we plan on running this in my Drag Radial 93 impala wagon for the Drag week deal that hot rod mag is putting on. We plan on driving this car around 1000 miles or so in 5 days and racing it every night.

This is not a boat engine. i know there is 1400 that can be made with tom cats intercooler or i beleive with the one that will be on CNC's boat but for now that is it.

I warranty my boat engines up to 1200 hp and limited on 1400's

2 things to think about.
The needle and seat is the problem!
Your in the water, not all of it has to go thru a intercooler!
These are the secrets to 2000 HP

God Bless
Steve Morris

Quick Reply: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.