Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth? >

video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Notices

video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Old 07-02-2005, 07:49 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

I pay $450.00 per motor at Westside machine here in Houston and make as many pulls as I want providing I'm in At 8am to set up motor and out by 5. Generally it tales 20-25 pulls without part changes to get optimum timing curve carb jetting. air cleaner assy. and carb spacers. If you are changing other parts then look to make many more pulls.

I know of another shop here in town that did a buddy the exact same way that you were done. He is still sore about it.

A good dyno guy has seen it all and can tell you what will work and what won't.

As for no EGT. That is total BS

As for payment. I would pay the hourly shop rate for the time you were there. Max. IMO you didn't get dyno service, you got your engine broke in a little.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for you reply wobble. i am going to forward this thread to the owner of the large s fl shop that did my dyno work and let him know thats why i put a stop pay on my check...they are an advertiser here as well. i've heard of motors being on the dyno for days, never hears of 17 mins dyno time for 2 engines. the fact that no effort mas made to equalize the power and find out why there was a 30 hp diff 5% between the motors. i asked them to set valve lash while the motor was running because 2 of the lifters didn't feel like there was any give when i lashed them on the engine stand, he blem me off on that which really pissedme off. i don't want problems once the motors are in the boat. since the shop sells a crap load of high dollar big blower motors my sh*t maybe didn't rate the effort for them to do it properly. the coin i have in them means a LOT to me. thanks again for your input im waiting for a few of the engine builers to add thier .02 before i take action tues am i'll be at the bank when it opens to put a stop pay on my check. ratman
Old 07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About a hundred an hour. Sounds like a couple hundred is all you owe. Where are you located? We have a couple of good dyno guys in the great lakes area to recommend
Old 07-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

patriyatch, im in tampa fl, i don't want to go to south fla again, 4+hr ride and hotels etc. i dont know of anyone local that specializes in marine with a dyno...sad but true there's a lot of water here but noty much hi po stuff at all. i may go to inovation in sarasota unless someone on the board can recomend someone closer to me. thx for any input. ratman
Old 07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Something i forgot to say,I have had about a dozen motors dynoed and if they were new we always ran them 15-20 minutes to seat the rings,break in parts etc. After that i usually dropped the oil and changed filter,took a plug check to see whats going on in cylinder before making pull and if not a hydraulic cam checked valve lash at some point,Smitty
If you re-dyno motors try to find a shop that uses boat headers similar to what your running and your tune/numbers will be closer to what you have in the boat.Crockett uses CMI's.
Attached Thumbnails video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?-dsc02983.jpg  
Old 07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

where are all the engine guys? would really like to hear your thoughts...thx in advance for any feedback. ratman
Old 07-02-2005, 10:36 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Innovation is supposed to be very competent. Joe's Performance Specialities in Fort Myers would also be able to help you. I would think they should run the motors to seat the rings. Change the oil and lash the valves and then make the pulls. Some folks doing alot of the same package are able to get away without EGTs and just use BSFCs
Old 07-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Registered

anybody have innovations or joes perf phone #? thx in advance. ratman
Old 07-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video. I wonder how much oil pressure you were running? Gauge/sensor didn't appear to be hooked up in the screen shots. Hell of a wrench using a hammer and a screwdriver to bang on "something". Looks real "Professional" to me.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David
Hell of a wrench using a hammer and a screwdriver to bang on "something".
I guess I should edit this to say "Hell of a half-a**ed wrench/mechanic? using a hammer and a screwdriver to bang on "something".

Quick Reply: video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.