Marine Lubrication

Old 07-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Perhaps Amsoils best automobile oil:

Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Oil
Long service life oil engineered for both diesel and gasoline engines including turbo charged vehicles. Provides superior wear protection and fuel efficiency compared to conventional oils. Premium synthetic oils and additives with 12 TBN chemistry resists oil breakdown from heat, blow-by chemicals, acids and oxygen. Improves cold temperature starting. Global performance specifications include: API CI-4+/SL/CF, EO-N + 03', DHD-1, ECF-1, ACEA A3/B3/E3/E5, VDS-3
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-hdd_qt_300pxh.jpg  
Old 07-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Amsoil Marine gear lube. I was told it is guaranteed to protect in drives with as much as 10% water contamination and that included rust and corrosion. Amsoil usually lives up to it's warranty with repair dollars if need be I have been told.

Excellent Gear and Bearing Protection even when contaminated with 10% water
Reduced Friction and Wear
Rust and Corrosion Protection
Long Seal Life
Superior Foam Prevention

Their site now posts data with and without water contamination. The data is compelling...so long as you catch the problem before exceeding 10%.
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-agm_qt_350pxh.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-16-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.speed-sports.com/Go-Peds/...x%20Calculator

2 cycle mix ratio calculator.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was asked for the link to Volvo Penta Synthetic Marine Oil.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glob..._oil/table.htm
Old 07-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was asked what oil has as much or more ZDDP than Mobil-1 V-Twin.

I have not found one yet.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-17-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This place offers some great prices on Redline..Redline claims to be superior to PAO's...that's always been up to debate and it just keeps going...

$7.00/qt for many...great price for gearlube as well.

http://www.myoilshop.com/

Here are the 3 best reason to consider an ester based oil:
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-engfig2.gif   Marine Lubrication-engfig3.gif   Marine Lubrication-engfig4.gif  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-17-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
STATES OF LUBRICATION

HYDRODYNAMIC LUBRICATION

The design of oil is to produce a film of oil between two mating surfaces which gives
you the best protection against wear. As the image below shows, oil flows, and creates a
hydraulic pressure (elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication,EHL) between the two surfaces.
Now under perfect conditions this type of lubrication will not allow wear. But in reality,
this is not always the case.This takes us to the next state of lubrication.

MIXED FILM LUBRICATION
This is where lubrication is marginal. Under load conditions oil is squeezed under pressure. For example, during accelleration of an engine, you step on the gas and the engine dumps fuel, in turn the force is increased against the rod bearings, pushing (or squeezing) on the hydrodynamic oil creating a marginal lubrication condition. This is under normal use. But what happens to oil when it is under extreme pressure created by abuse or just a heavy foot? Follow me to the next state of lubrication.

BOUNDARY LUBRICATION

This is where lubrication is dependant on antiwear additives. What happens here, is lubrication can be put under so much pressure, and is momentarily squeezed out to such a point that if oil didn't have any antiwear additives, you would be metal to metal. This is the last line of defense for lubrication to protect your equipment. A common place where you see a lot of high levels of barrier lubricant is in gear lubes. Ever wonder what that rotten smell was? Yep, high levels of zinc, and phosphorus. These are the two most used antiwear wear additives used in oils today.

A lot of aftermarket additives use zinc and phosphorus for extra protection. The problem is, when you overload an oil with this type of additive, your oxidation levels tend to increase, causing an attack on the base oil, which in turn can cause an increase of viscosity, (thicken the oil) .This is why it is important not to play home chemist and blend in aftermarket additives that are not designed to be in the oil to start with.

So, as you can see, viscosity of the oil isn't the only important factor. Like building a house, you want a good foundation or base. Then you would use a quality product to build with. In this case, a good base oil is a start, then with good additives you achieve a good lubricant. Is zinc and phosphorus the only barrier additives available? No, there are more. Follow me to a barrier lubricant that has been around for a long time and has proven out for many years..

Did you get this from the "Basic Fundamentals of Lubrication" Your posts seem to go along the line with that book.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vandy021
Did you get this from the "Basic Fundamentals of Lubrication" Your posts seem to go along the line with that book.
Gosh

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-17-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Marine Lubrication

I quoted what you wrote. I am asking if you got that out of that book. A few of your posts look like the came out of that book verbatim
Old 07-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I quoted what you wrote. I am asking if you got that out of that book. A few of your posts look like the came out of that book verbatim

Summaries...it's a 500 page book...

...I received some e-mails..all positive...feel free to add to this Craig.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-17-2005 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.