Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 01-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by vandy021
Just had surgery so I've been down. Anyway, the oil business is good. We have started out strong this year.. We are also awaiting a price increase on all finished lubes. I feel something coming........

Whoa how I can predict the future... 40 cents on conventional and 60 on synthetics on March 1st.. Who the f***k saw that one coming..
Old 01-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of ppl have been hating on the Mobil 1 EP 15w50. It's still a good oil for boaters who aren't out beating the sh!t out of their engines...
Speaking of the Mobil 1 15w50, does it still have the same amount of ZDDP? And if so, how? Its labeled as automoive and word has it the government/oems forced reductions of ZDDP in auto oils to solve catalytic converter problems.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered

I'd have to check with my Mobil Rep.

When the brain surgeons brought out the EP. They marketed it as having 36% more anti-wear additives which is ZDDP
37% more cleaning agents
50% more SuperSyn

This was compared to Mobil 1... Now Mobil 1 was full of the stuff already. Maybe another wrench head could answer it quicker than I?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

When the brain surgeons brought out the EP. They marketed it as having 36% more anti-wear additives which is ZDDP
37% more cleaning agents
50% more SuperSyn

This was compared to Mobil 1... Now Mobil 1 was full of the stuff already. Maybe another wrench head could answer it quicker than I?
My take is that the increased anti-wear and detergency additives now present in the current M-1 15W-50 EP formulation offer two distinct advantages over the previous formulation:

- The first being it offers the ability to go for extended periods in automobiles while keeping "wear" at a minimum and the engine clean and particles dispersed for out to 12,000 miles and is safe to do so if using a good oil filter.

-The second being it offers more anti-wear properties for marine use along with better detergency than the previous formualtion and can probably be extended to the maximum recommended drain interval of up to 50 hours....certainly 30-40 hours is reasonable I would gather from tests I have seen...in stock; non- hopped up or non-blower applications.

While not having as much ZDDP as V-twin it is a good choice for general offshore use; for racing; hopped up or blown engines I'd go with 20W-50 V-Twin and would change it more frequently because of the potential for gas contamination into the oil.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 01-23-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Registered

37% more cleaning agents
50% more SuperSyn

EP additives in a GL5 formulation are mostly a sulfer or chlorine base additive. Ever smell a GL5 product? It smells nothing like an engine oil which has ZDDP.The smell is the hypoid additive package sulfer & chlorine, which will offer a lot more protection than ZDDP. Ken
Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered

Whoa how I can predict the future... 40 cents on conventional and 60 on synthetics on March 1st.. Who the f***k saw that one coming..
Is that 40 cents each on finished lube in quarts or gallons? How about bulk pricing?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
EP additives in a GL5 formulation are mostly a sulfer or chlorine base additive. Ever smell a GL5 product? It smells nothing like an engine oil which has ZDDP.The smell is the hypoid additive package sulfer & chlorine, which will offer a lot more protection than ZDDP. Ken
Sulfur or Phosphorous; Molybedium or Antimony or any other sacrificial "soft metal".

When the oil is "squeezed" away the sacrificial lubricant qualities of these agents protects against wear and they are destroyed in small amounts instead of the gears.

Mercury HP... lots of antimony...excellent but be ware that it is a poison like lead.

Redline... tons of sulfur.

Royal Purple...lots of moly

Mobil-1.. Phosphorous and moly.. I believe

Amsoil ...not sure what the new formualtion has in it.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Registered

EP additive.............a lubricant additive that prevents sliding metal surfaces from seizing under conditions of extreme pressure(EP). At the high local temps associated with metal-to-metal contact, an EP additive combines chemically with the metal to form a surface film that prevents the welding of opposing asperities(small metal projections on the surface left from machining), and the consequent scoring that is destructive to sliding surfaces under high loads.Reactive coumpounds of sulfur, chlorine, or phosphorus are use to form these inorganic films. If moly is being used the oil would be black when new, never heard of antimony being used. Ken
Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
EP additive.............a lubricant additive that prevents sliding metal surfaces from seizing under conditions of extreme pressure(EP). At the high local temps associated with metal-to-metal contact, an EP additive combines chemically with the metal to form a surface film that prevents the welding of opposing asperities(small metal projections on the surface left from machining), and the consequent scoring that is destructive to sliding surfaces under high loads.Reactive coumpounds of sulfur, chlorine, or phosphorus are use to form these inorganic films. If moly is being used the oil would be black when new, never heard of antimony being used. Ken
Well Royal Purple dyes it's product purple or it would be blackish as Redline is.

The Mercury HP shows a caution on its's bottle about how poisonous Antimony is...or at least it used to...and I read that Antimony is an EP.

Who uses chlorine except the additives with Teflon that don't work?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Sulfur or Phosphorous; Molybedium or Antimony or any other sacrificial "soft metal".

When the oil is "squeezed" away the sacrificial lubricant qualities of these agents protects against wear and they are destroyed in small amounts instead of the gears.

Mercury HP... lots of antimony...excellent but be ware that it is a poison like lead.

Redline... tons of sulfur.

Royal Purple...lots of moly

Mobil-1.. Phosphorous and moly.. I believe

Amsoil ...not sure what the new formualtion has in it.
The new Amsoil 20W-50 MCV looks to contain Phos and Zinc along with a little moly but I am not sure of the actual form of Moly.

The other thing I would like to mention is I believe I see some confusion growing here on the last few posts. Please do not confuse Mobil 1 EP with "EP" as in Extreme Pressure additives. M1 EP will not have "EP" in it. "EP" is contained in gear lubes not motor oils.

By the way the new Amsoil Motorcycle 20W-50 oil will be going up in price Feb 1. About $.35 per qt at dealer cost.

Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.