Trim tab limit switch...

Notices

Trim tab limit switch...

Old 09-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Re: Trim tab limit switch...

Brain, the switch on the side of the gimbal ring is "trim limit". This means that on a standard Merc setup there are 2 switches either on the dash or shifter for each drive, 1 trim and 1 trailer. The trim limit switch controls how high the drive will move using the trim switch (this is the maximum while actually running the boat), then the trailer switch is used to raise it the rest of the way.

Does this make sense? Many boats are rigged with no trailer switch (the HP transom assemblies do not have a trim limit switch), so the trim switch covers the full range of drive movement.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Marc,
Thanks for the info. I have both a trim on the throttle switch and a trim on the dash. I know where to stop the drives when trimming while under power. I would not mind using the trim limit switch for upper limit stop for not hitting the platform. Is it simply a method of turning the dial? I noticed one or both of mine has a little metal indicator on it as well.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sydwayz

if you loosen the two screws on the limit switch ( left side of drive) you can rotate it slightly clockwise to lower the stop point of the drive, and counter cw to raise that stop position.

like mbam said, this is for the trim under power stop to protect the drive ujoint from excessive angle under load ( or rpm period for that matter)

this "switch" should be in line with the trim button switch that is on your throttle to be used properly, to stop the drive before damage . if you wanted to use it for the "trailer" stop, then you would have to cut the wires and put it into the trailer circuit instead of the trim circuit. ( trailer circuit bypasses this limit switch) but adding the cylinder stops may be a better choice in my opinion.

what i did on my twin setup was to rotate or dial the limit switches so that the drives stop at my best trim position for speed, this position is lower than merc's max allowable recommended position that they come with from the factory. Since one drive runs slightly faster than the other, i now don't worry and just hold the trim buttons down, they both stop automatically at this best position , although one gets there 1 second before the other.

hope this helps some

Ramb
Old 09-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Do you have mechanical indicators? I just look at my indicator and know when to stop. My drive will not hit my platform but the braided hose for my drive shower will. I don't have a "trailer" switch or a trim limit.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Ramb, thanks a bunch.

Dave, my indicators go "off the chart" when trimming up to trailer position. I know when they leave the indicator and basically do a 1-2 count until I let of the switch which gets me close. However, sometimes the tie-bar does come up and meet my under platform ladder.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

This might be a seperate issue but I wonder if your indicators need to be adjusted.

With my boat whether I'm in the water or on the trailer I don't ever need to trim my drive all the way up. I bring it up to about 6 on the indicator and the drive is above the bottom of the hull.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents -

Use the spacers from Merc to limit the total travel for the drive up. We add them to quiet a few boat after adding external steering, tie bars etc...

I agree with Rambunctiouos - set the limit switches using your mechanical indicators to your best overall setting (Top speed, cruise, etc...) Then you can hold it til it quits and both drives are set.

Without the caps in the cylinders you run a slight risk of a solenoid sticking and then running the drive, tie bar, into your swim platform, etc...