454 questions......

Notices

454 questions......

Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 454 questions......

Originally Posted by KAAMA
EC, sounds like you got a good deal---especially, if they had the larger valves installed. Usually when larger valves are installed that the bowl area has to be enlarged a bit. If you can check the short side radius and make sure they are nice and rounded with no sharp edges or turns. Check to see if you have the hardend valve seats installed when using stainless valves or they will end up sinking within the head---it happened to us way back in the early 80's and if I remember correctly it was mostly on the exhaust side. The forged pistons and ARP rod bolts are a good idea, and if you can have the rods shot peened---might cost about $50 per set or so. Have fun.
You must be talking w/ my "engine advisor" buddy...he told me the very same thing. He said mag rods and crank, shot peen rods and put in good (ARP) bolts then top it with forged pistions for a short block that can live up to 6,000rpm easy enough.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ECeptor
You must be talking w/ my "engine advisor" buddy...he told me the very same thing. He said mag rods and crank, shot peen rods and put in good (ARP) bolts then top it with forged pistions for a short block that can live up to 6,000rpm easy enough.
EC....Well, contrary to what my cousin asked me to use he still used the stock rod bolts, he didn't shot peen the rods, and he bought new CAST pistons. I tried to talk him into the better components, and I warned him of the chances he was taking, but he only had so much money and they're not my engines so, during the rebuild he at least he had good, accurate machine work done by a reputable shop that is used to doing lots of offshore marine stuff. Also, we at least we proped and cammed the engines to only peak out at 5100rpm when using stock 3/8" rod bolts and cast pistons. So far he has about 35-40 hours on the engines and everything is fine. Hopefully everything will stay that way, but remains to be seen.

Anyway, making sure the block is "square" is where it all begins---especially align honing of the main saddles, and balancing the rotating assemblies just to name a few. I hope you have fun with your project.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KAAMA
EC....Well, contrary to what my cousin asked me to use he still used the stock rod bolts, he didn't shot peen the rods, and he bought new CAST pistons. I tried to talk him into the better components, and I warned him of the chances he was taking, but he only had so much money and they're not my engines so, during the rebuild he at least he had good, accurate machine work done by a reputable shop that is used to doing lots of offshore marine stuff. Also, we at least we proped and cammed the engines to only peak out at 5100rpm when using stock 3/8" rod bolts and cast pistons. So far he has about 35-40 hours on the engines and everything is fine. Hopefully everything will stay that way, but remains to be seen.

Anyway, making sure the block is "square" is where it all begins---especially align honing of the main saddles, and balancing the rotating assemblies just to name a few. I hope you have fun with your project.
I already have my shop picked out. Same shop the +7,000rpm guys use. He has a backlog of work, it's the cheapest in town, but I've been told his work is 100% spot on every time. Slow, careful, accurate...

It's fun to plan, will be more fun when I finally get to it next fall!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:49 PM
DPA
Registered

I have a 454 385hp question.... Whats the best cam to run with emi thunder exhaust and risers?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

I forgot to mention that he has a 1988 32' Baja and didn't know how fast his boat was with the stock 330's (he didn't have a GPS at the time), but AFTER he did the mods to the engines and using the SAME props (21" 3-blades) as he was using when the engines were stock 330hp, he could tell the boat was faster and much more responsive than it was stock. So, he really picked up some speed when he went from the 21" 3-bladed props and tried a 25" 3-blade as a test and picked up 10mph in the MIDRANGE on the GPS---so far, 69.8mph (top end), but they're still experimenting with props. He cruises with it mostly somewhere between 3500-4000rpm and he seems to be pretty happy with the way it runs since the mods.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Talking Re: 454 questions......

I am in the process of building a gen V 330 hp I am having the engine bored .030 over forged pistons domed 8.79-1, moly rings, a balanced assembly, all bolts are arp, melling high volume oil pump, dart merlin oval port heads 2.19/1.88, 117cc chambers ported and flowed, running a crane 420 cam, crane billet steel timing chain, crane gold roller rockers, eldelbrock intake and 750 carb, revolution marine exhaust 4in hose and tips no mufflers, and a msd ign. I hope it will run much better it is a wellcraft nova spyder 23. I ran about 60-62 last year running a Bravo 1 24pitch
Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by k24u
I am in the process of building a gen V 330 hp I am having the engine bored .030 over forged pistons domed 8.79-1, moly rings, a balanced assembly, all bolts are arp, melling high volume oil pump, dart merlin oval port heads 2.19/1.88, 117cc chambers ported and flowed, running a crane 420 cam, crane billet steel timing chain, crane gold roller rockers, eldelbrock intake and 750 carb, revolution marine exhaust 4in hose and tips no mufflers, and a msd ign. I hope it will run much better it is a wellcraft nova spyder 23. I ran about 60-62 last year running a Bravo 1 24pitch
k24u, Sounds like a really nice combination with the mods you have selected to do. However, I'm not that familiar with how well the Revolution exhuast system flows compared to something like a GIL or Stainless Marine aftermarket exhaust system, but with the mods you have listed above I would say you should see 70+ MPH by the time you're all done tweeking it in with props, etc. Have Fun!

Last edited by KAAMA; 04-04-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered

Talking Re: 454 questions......

WhenI get her together i will post how she runs as long as it is strong and dependable I will be happy
Old 04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered

If he will spend for a blower , spend the money and build a good motor once and put the throttles down all day. Wrenching is work , Boating is relaxing.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Registered

Its going to be a N/A motor........

We found stock 454 mag Crank and rods locally. Boring .030 and buying JE pistons (100 dome) Edelbrock Allum. oval heads, RPM Airgap intake, Holley 800, a cam (not exactly sure on part # for that) and all new bearings seals etc. Should be a nice upgrade.....