Notices

Marine engine flywheel

Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Marine engine flywheel

Hi,

one point of concern when modifying a 540 ci BBC automotive engine for marine use is the flywheel.

My engine builder who might be experienced in automotive racing engines but knows very little about modifying them to marine engines supplied among others a wrong flywheel (see foto).

I could rebalanced the old ext. balanced Mercruiser flywheel PN 230-5534, but this was not the professional way.

Has anybody used the HAYS marine steel flywheel PN 10-320 with the Mercruiser drive plate, and/or are there any other options.

Ring gear must be located on the rear face.

Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Marine engine flywheel-mercruiser-vs-gm-flywheel.jpg  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Marine engine flywheel

Originally Posted by joee
Hi,

one point of concern when modifying a 540 ci BBC automotive engine for marine use is the flywheel.

My engine builder who might be experienced in automotive racing engines but knows very little about modifying them to marine engines supplied among others a wrong flywheel (see foto).

I could rebalanced the old ext. balanced Mercruiser flywheel PN 230-5534, but this was not the professional way.

Has anybody used the HAYS marine steel flywheel PN 10-320 with the Mercruiser drive plate, and/or are there any other options.

Ring gear must be located on the rear face.

Thanks
Joe
Joe we can remachine and match the flywheel to the original for balance if you need it done I know this is complicated and something many shops don't have the capabilities of doing we do it in house and all the time if we can help call me at 1-305-884-5368 or email at [email protected] you will not have any problems what so ever drop in and go. Best of luck to you Laz Mesa