Notices

Bad cams, components

Old 05-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Bad cams, components

Originally Posted by Wobble
When you call Lunati, did you speak to Harold Brookshire? He was Ultradyne and is one of the most knowlegable cam people there is. He takes great pride in his designs.

I have run his custom grinds for years, both roller and flat tappet.

I understand the lobe issue, but what caused the lifter to break?
My cam was a Lunati cam as well. I heard the metal quality of the lifter/china is what makes them go bad.

I believe we put Comp lifters with the oil hole in afterwards.

Last edited by Panther; 05-26-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I ask is because that type of damage is often caused by the push rod getting up on the edge of the lifter for various reasons
Old 05-26-2006, 03:42 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Harold is not at Lunati anymore
Nope. Last I heard was Bullet Cams. Maybe this has changed again by now ?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Harold is not at Lunati anymore
That sucks....I am an Ultradyne fan from way back...Had a set of flat tappet Ultradynes in my last boat also.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

All thru the 90's I used Ultradyne flat tappet cams in dozens of motors before they closed and got bought by Lunati with no failures,we didn't even pizz around with leaving the inner spring out or use low ratio rockers,just fired them up and kept between 2000-2500 rpm's for 15-20 minutes then change out the oil. Times have changed in past 5 years though,a local engine builder has seen virtually every brand of flat tappet fail in past 2 years and I keep hearing of cam failures from all the big names,I think it hinges on the lack of zddp in the oil although tonights the first time I heard cam cores are being made in China.I have also heard that Harold is on his own with a new cam company. Sorry about your bad luck,you'll like the hyd rollers better anyways,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-26-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can see him posting on www.teamchevelle.com.

One thing I remember about his race cams he allways have very steep ramps,tuff on valve train but they made the power

IMO Lunati did him wrong !!! I think the Vodoo line was all his cam specks

I have never used a flat tapet cam ,I would use the hydraulic or go straight to the solid rollers in my cars . I never saw a need for inbetween. I started using hyd roller just in the boats and almost wish I had gone with a solid roller in my last Whipple motors.But I was told not realy a need because of making more power than these drives could handle .My Chevelle street car had a Crower soild roller for the last 10 years and the only thing I have replaced is the tappets wear out with the miles...

Maybe Chris Straub will chime in about the China cores.I would say half ?? the stuff now days come for over seas

team Tickfaw goodluck with the motors

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 05-27-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:34 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"articfriends" posted the importance of bringing the revs up right away, they need the oil spash to survive break in! Idle it and you will kill a flat tappet cam.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bad cams, components

Have been out of touch alittle, back at work offshore. Have spoken to everyone in Bullet/ultradyne. They are not going to warrenty the cam. Said it was not a cam issue. Maybe not. The lifters that were bad.....said they do not have a warrenty on them????? After discussing situation with the owner he would agree to sell me 2 sets of roller lifters at halph price. They are NOT made by bullett. Said he could do me a better deal on a replacement roller cam that they build but quite frankly told him I did not trust their products.
Don't know why the lifters cam apart. So far have not found anything abnormal. Hope to have all the parts in this week to start replacing. Will be getting whatever I can from Bob Madera.
Strip poker...you still in Jackson? Do you do the royal Purple run on the tickfaw? Just wondering, this is where I boat at when I'm home.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
Have been out of touch alittle, back at work offshore. Have spoken to everyone in Bullet/ultradyne. They are not going to warrenty the cam. Said it was not a cam issue. Maybe not. The lifters that were bad.....said they do not have a warrenty on them????? After discussing situation with the owner he would agree to sell me 2 sets of roller lifters at halph price. They are NOT made by bullett. Said he could do me a better deal on a replacement roller cam that they build but quite frankly told him I did not trust their products.
Don't know why the lifters cam apart. So far have not found anything abnormal. Hope to have all the parts in this week to start replacing. Will be getting whatever I can from Bob Madera.
Strip poker...you still in Jackson? Do you do the royal Purple run on the tickfaw? Just wondering, this is where I boat at when I'm home.
Ya cant go wrong with Bob's advice and parts remonedations!!!Yes I am in Jackson MS. We have been doing the Royal Purple Poker Run for over 6-7 years. Its a lot of fun .

Are you letting the same guy build/put together your motors????

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifters have been the issue. The industry had a large hickup a few years back with one supplier getting shut down by uncle same for tax reasons and another just stopping production. So 50% of mfg was gone in less then 4 months time.

Also everything is no roller or overhead cam. Cam companies don't buy a drop in the bucket compared to what OEM's use to buy. In the 70's and 80's V-8 flat tappet lifters were produced in the millions. The aftermarket doesn't even come close to using a million a year. So production of these parts are now back burner.

New/Old mfgs have gotten into the game but without the OEM's standing on their heads with PPM QC levels the stuff out their is just not what it use to be. Compound this with BBC lifter bore angles usally being out a few degrees and flat tappet profiles these days are like Russian Roulette.

Cam cores come from 3 major suppliers here in the states. I do know of a Turkish supplier and few in Asia that are trying to do business here. For the most part X, Y, and Z cams all come from 1 of the 3 suppliers.

Hyd roller is what I recommend. RM is great to deal with and will get you the best parts for what you want to do I am sure.

Harold is working for a Nascar affiliated team and working out of his house at present day. He has nothing to do with his old Ultradyne of years ago or Lunati where he was up until about this time last year.

Quick Reply: Bad cams, components

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.