Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Old Bravo lower W/ new Bravo upper? >

Old Bravo lower W/ new Bravo upper?

Notices

Old Bravo lower W/ new Bravo upper?

Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Old Bravo lower W/ new Bravo upper?

Ive never mixed the too was told back in the early 90s that the new style did mix with the old and that they tend to over heat...

so ive never tried I know if you have a warr issue with that set up merc will say its on you and that its got to be hard on the drive lube......

maybe some other techs have seen it or done it and they can tell you more

Last edited by GOODT; 07-06-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Joe
Old 07-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for all the info.

Ok, going against recomendations, and just for fun, (also with not much to lose here), I am going to try to drill a non-oiler lower to see if I can "create" a newer style oiling lower.
I'll let y'all know the results.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have installed a new upper on an old lower without the hole in the pad. It did have the pad, so when I plugged the upper it would support the sealant I put in there. There is another hole in the older uppers that needs to be drilled in the new upper.. I would think it would work like the pre 90's bravo's.. I never got any feed back on the drive I modified, so I dont know for sure if it worked or not.

Gordo, you are on the right track.. drill the hole and complete the oil circulation.. you will be better off, I believe. Let us know how it works..
And where you got the extra long drill bit..

Dick
Old 07-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Dick, Since you mentioned "extra long drill bit", I assume you've tried this before.
So, I'm drilling this perfectly straight hole, (rare for me) into the boss where the hole would be in the newer lowers, and I run out of drill bit length. Pisssed me off, so, I ran a small circle of RTV around the hole I had just drilled so it would seal the oil hole in the upper and bolted em together. Filled w/ gear lube from bottom up like normal and bolted it onto the boat. As of this evening it has about 4 hard hours on it and still running strong.
We'll see how long it lasts...
Old 07-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Gordo,
never tried drilling one. but I think it would take a very long bit. On the older uppers there is an extra hole in the front of the vertical shaft hole.. that leads to the upper cavity.. hard to discribe where to drill it.. Not sure if it makes any difference.. but I matched the old upper to the new one.. and drilled the extra hole.. but didnt try to drill the lower.. that would be the best solution...

Dick
Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

The lower I am working with is actually a newer model (dual water pickup), but it was to replace an older (pre-1989) lower that was damaged so it came as a "non oiler" lower.
This being the case, I didn't have to "line up" the upper and lower. The boss is already there for the oil hole, just no hole. I'm working on the longer drill bit, but I would like to know if I will eventually drill into an oil cavity or gally, or will I just drill out the bottom of the drive?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

If you drill it straight.. it will come out into the lower just in front of the front propshaft bearing race... I have a few I can try and take some pics..

Imco's case has a large relief where the hole comes out. I assume to catch more oil from the gears..

The hole I am taking about in the previous post is in the tunnel (I'll call it that) where the vertical shaft goes up into the upper case. If you look in that hole from the bottom. You can see a hole on the back side of that tunnel. The old case has another hole in the front part of the tunnel that leads to the cavity that the oil hole we are trying to match is connected..

See I told you it is hard to describe.. Too bad I didnt take a pic of it.. LOL!!

Let me see if I have time to get something to show it.. but in the mean time get the long bit.. Real LONGGGGGGGGGGGgggggggggg!

Dick
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
If you drill it straight.. it will come out into the lower just in front of the front propshaft bearing race...
...See I told you it is hard to describe.. Too bad I didnt take a pic of it.. LOL!!
LMAO !!!
Ok, in search of a looooong bit.
Let's hope I started my hole straight n true.
Tomorrow I'll look at an upper and lower sitting in the shop. I'm sure if I have it sitting in front of me it will all become clear.
Thanks for the help and advice Dick. I'll keep you up to date on how things go.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Our electricians at work have 1/4" and 5/16" drill bits that are 10" or 12"long,they are either getting them from a electrical supply house or our local V.I.P bolt/drill bit dealer. I think vip is a national deal,I'll check into it more if you don't find the bit you need,Smitty

Quick Reply: Old Bravo lower W/ new Bravo upper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.