how hard is to replace the starter

Notices

how hard is to replace the starter

Old 09-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how hard is to replace the starter

Originally Posted by stevesxm
all this is true and completely fair enough... you get no argument from me... other than to say...

if it was my 60 k boat and i didn't know my a** from a hole in the ground about working on it... i would hire someone to show me so that i could learn in an intellegent fashion....

in FACT , with roughy 30 yrs experience designing and manufacturing race cars and building engines, that is EXACTLY what i did when i got this top gun w/ two bad motors. i hired a pro to work along side me as i did all the work. he introduced me to the nuances and boat specific technology and techniques so i didn't just light 100 dollar bills on fire by making stupid mistakes. in the end i knew every wire, pipe, and piece of hardware on that boat intimately. it took two weeks.

could i have figured it all out myself ? sure. but why be stupid when you can be smart ?

but thats just me.
I'm not arguing with you stevesxm. But like SB said, it's a starter not an engine re-build. If the starter is the problem it should be pretty straight forward repair/replacement, and if he takes a dig photo of the wiring, and if he can get to the wiring/bolts, and if he gets the right part, then he will have learned something after he replaces it. BTW I agree with you...if the guy has someone that can lead him thru something or teach him, then that's great!

My boat {used and way less than 60K) came with a 7.4/330. Now it has a 500 hp 502. I had the engine swap done by a pro, because I'd never really been under the hatch of a boat before. But I hung around and "helped" Actually I was more of a go-fer. But watched/learned as much as time allowed. I'm no mechanic but have at least gotten to the point where I can replace the bolt on stuff. Exhaust, sea pump, starter, a little electrical, oil/OD fluid changes, winterizing....the run of the mill type stuff. But if I didn't at least give it a try on my own, I'd be completely dependent on a pro. And sometimes the pro's mess things up!

As said, I'm not arguing with you. I enjoy a little wrenching on my boat. Also, I believe that a boater (or anyone for that matter) should be as self sufficient as reasonably possible. And if the boat has to go to a pro for something, then so be it.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
all this is true and completely fair enough... you get no argument from me... other than to say...

if it was my 60 k boat and i didn't know my a** from a hole in the ground about working on it... i would hire someone to show me so that i could learn in an intellegent fashion....

in FACT , with roughy 30 yrs experience designing and manufacturing race cars and building engines, that is EXACTLY what i did when i got this top gun w/ two bad motors. i hired a pro to work along side me as i did all the work. he introduced me to the nuances and boat specific technology and techniques so i didn't just light 100 dollar bills on fire by making stupid mistakes. in the end i knew every wire, pipe, and piece of hardware on that boat intimately. it took two weeks.

could i have figured it all out myself ? sure. but why be stupid when you can be smart ?

but thats just me.
You are making mountain out of a mole hill. While at the same time making yourself appear as an arrogant blowhard.

It's just a starter!

He asked a question, lets give him a hand.

Last edited by Steve H; 09-11-2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: how hard is to replace the starter

Originally Posted by Steve H
You are making mountain out of a mole hill. While at the same time making yourself appear as an arrogant blowhard.

It's just a starter!

Well, guess that's a bit more direct than I was
Old 09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The starter is fairly easy to change, 2 bolts and 2, sometimes 3 nuts on the solenoid for the wires. Make sure the replacement starter is the small gear reduction type. It goes in easier, you can actually hold it up and start the bolts with one hand.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve H

It's just a starter!

No kidding!! I posted a thread the other day on how do change an impeller, nobody gave me any crap and they came through for me, the job is amost done. Instead of busting his ass, describe the process and help him out.

Last edited by Indy; 09-11-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

A starter is a good place to start. Maybe ask for help from a boat buddy that has done it before. A lot of times after you disasemble some accesories and remove the batteries. It is not that bad to get to (on a single). If you have the Hi-Torqe (small starter) get it rebuilt from a electrical motor shop. If you have the old style (Large) replace it with a new Marine Starter. You will not be able to see the bolts, you will have to go by feel. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my motors requires taking off the exhaust to get to the starter. But, overall once the exhaust is out of the way it is easier than the other motor. You can see what you are doing. If you can't get going on the starter removal taking the exhaust off will help but try it with the exhaust on first. My old Baja had storage compartments next to the motor which would need to be removed on the starboard side. Also, you may want to disconnect the raw water hoses to get to the starter.

Remember to disconnect the battery before starting!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 375 Likes on 252 Posts

all this for someone asking help ? Really?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all true. including the arrogant blowhard. i simply remind you of his language. he didn't even know it was a starter when he looked at it. if you don't recognize the point i was trying to make, ill still sleep ok tonight.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 375 Likes on 252 Posts

not talking about you specifically, talking about the whole tread not even talking anymore about THE problem.

We just should start another tread on : learn ourselves or hire a teacher

Let's just give the info he's asking for! Maybe I don't feel like arguing tonight... Do whatever you guys want to do with it. just my opinion!