Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Going from thunderbolt V carb to EFI- what distributor to use? (MSD or Merc) >

Going from thunderbolt V carb to EFI- what distributor to use? (MSD or Merc)

Notices

Going from thunderbolt V carb to EFI- what distributor to use? (MSD or Merc)

Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from thunderbolt V carb to EFI- what distributor to use? (MSD or Merc)

I currently have a 1996 thunderbolt V ignition (carb setup) with the two big plugs on it and a knock sensor in the system.

I'm going to an EFI whipple setup which included an entire merc harness (year/model unknown). It also came with a MSD-6 marine box and a mystery distributor which looks like an MSD EFI model with the two small plugs- but MSD said it's not theirs when I mailed it in for a rebuild.

The million dollar question is what distributor do I get? MSD or merc? The merc cost a little more $$$.

I just found a schematic that shows that the EFI dist is way different than my carb model- so that answers half my questions.
Attached Thumbnails Going from thunderbolt V carb to EFI- what distributor to use? (MSD or Merc)-msd-8366.jpg   Going from thunderbolt V carb to EFI- what distributor to use? (MSD or Merc)-dist.png  

Last edited by zimm17; 04-24-2007 at 06:17 PM.